Mammoth Lakes, CA tips?

Old November 25th 03, 11:17 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

Default Mammoth Lakes, CA tips?

I'm planning to fly a 182 from SF Bay (RHV) to Mammoth Lakes for the
long weekend. Any tips from people who've been there? I seem to
remember there was someone in this group flying out of Mono Lake.

Also, I've got room in the plane, so if anyone cares to join, let me
know (so far, I'm going solo, and that's a waste of the 235 HP).

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.
Old November 26th 03, 04:38 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Ari -
Hmmm, very very very tempting to go. Are you a CFI by
any chance?

Gerald

Old November 26th 03, 08:23 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

Gerald Sylvester writes:

Ari -
Hmmm, very very very tempting to go. Are you a CFI by
any chance?

Nope, just PP IR. (Not that I'll need the IR this weekend, it seems).

Friends of mine who are driving up from LA have rented a house in
Mammoth for the weekend and I hear there is a spare bed.

Ari.

Old November 26th 03, 08:48 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

Thanks Kyler.

Kyler Laird writes:

Be mindful of the wind. Landing 27, you'll see hills on the approach
that should make you think about air movement.

I'll make a note of it.

Be mindful of the mountains. Don't go at night your first time.

I was there once, driving. The note in the A/FD is well taken. No
night, no IFR on first trip.

Don't expect to walk to town. There's a guy with a dog I'd recommend
for taxi service
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
but I don't recall his information.

Shouldn't be a problem, friends driving up from LA are scheduled to
pick me up.

Old November 28th 03, 10:10 PM
Martin Hellman

(K. Ari Krupnikov) wrote in message ...
I'm planning to fly a 182 from SF Bay (RHV) to Mammoth Lakes for the
long weekend. Any tips from people who've been there? I seem to
remember there was someone in this group flying out of Mono Lake.

To add to what's already been posted:

While it goes wo saying, enough people get killed every year from
ignoring it, so: Make sure you've had significant experience and
training at high altitude airports. This is esp true at MMH due to its
very high altitude and possibility for bad wind conditions, in the lee
of the Sierras.

The runway has a bit of a V shape to it, so there is a dip in the
middle. The one time I landed there, as I was getting ready to take
off, a Mooney took off (on the downward part of the V) and then landed
again (on the upward part) before really taking off. I have a
turbocharged motorglider, so even though I was mentally prepared for
the same possibility, it didn't happen.

But I know from an earlier experience how important it is to be ready
for what happens, not what is supposed to happen. In that earlier
experience, I was taking off at Ely, NV. The windsock had been dead
all morning, but thermals had been kicking off of the higher ground.
As I started my takeoff roll, I suddenly was hit by what must have
been a 20 kt headwind gust that lasted just a few seconds. Enough to
pick me up off the runway and then slam me back down. Fortunately no
damage to the gear, but I chalk that up to luck, not skill.

In discussing this incident later with a friend, he pointed out what
almost surely happened. Although thermals had not yet been triggered
at the runway elevation, conditions were approaching that point. So
there was a bubble of hot air, waiting to be triggered into a thermal.
As I started my takeoff roll, my prop blast triggered that thermal
behind me, causing air to rush in from all direction, including in
front of me, resulting in the headwind gust. When the bubble was
exhausted, my airspeed to return to "normal", dropping me back down.
My thinking was oriented toward taking off, so I didn't handle the
temporary "landing" as I should have (flaring!), resulting in a harder
drop than necessary.

The above incident supports another rule I've tried to remember: At a
mountain airport, observe the windsock or AWOS, but try to be prepared
for any wind that hits you. This rule was really drummed into me when
I was a passenger in a Jet Ranger that was totalled at Minden partly
due to an unexpected wind change.

Hoping this is of some help.

Martin