Double Eagle + orphaned engine = a winner?

Old July 30th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Double Eagle + orphaned engine = a winner?

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message

Use the new-ish Great Plains "Flywheel Drive" bits. Heavily
influenced by Veeduber.

Let's not completely forget the late, great Steve Wittman and his V-Witt
racer.

Peter

Old July 30th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Peter Dohm wrote:
"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
Use the new-ish Great Plains "Flywheel Drive" bits. Heavily
influenced by Veeduber.

Let's not completely forget the late, great Steve Wittman and his V-Witt
racer.

Peter

Getting back to the flywheel drive... I looked at the Great Planes site
and the only way I could find to buy one of their flywheel drives is
with an engine kit.

Tony
Old July 30th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 30, 11:34 am, Anthony W wrote:

Getting back to the flywheel drive... I looked at the Great Planes site
and the only way I could find to buy one of their flywheel drives is
with an engine kit.

Steve has sold me to of them. (See the blog.)

-R.S..Hoover
Old July 30th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 30, 5:50 am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

Let's not completely forget the late, great Steve Wittman and his V-Witt
racer.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Wittman arrangement uses an
outboard bearing, the 'flywheel-drive' does not. Significant
reduction in cost, weight & complexity.

I think Steve (Bennett) focus was on providing for a sturdy starter-
drive. But if you stick with the Armstrong starter, the flywheel-
drive proves to be the lightest and least expensive method of attach a
propeller to the VW engine.

-R.S.Hoover
Old July 30th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Jul 29, 11:56*pm, Anthony W wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 28, 11:05 pm, Anthony W wrote:
*Anybody have a good recommendation on a 78mm crank?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

You can canvas the various importers/retailers. *I assume you'll want
a VW journal.

Or you give Tony De Mello a call and have him make one up for you.

BTW, who is Tony De Mello? *A yahoo search didn't help much...

Tony

http://www.demellocranks.com/Price%20List,%202006.htm

Welded stroker crank = $285
Forged ChinCom crank = $225 both as of 2006
Old July 30th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Jul 30, 12:18*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 30, 11:34 am, Anthony W wrote:

Getting back to the flywheel drive... *I looked at the Great Planes site
and the only way I could find to buy one of their flywheel drives is
with an engine kit.

Steve has sold me two of them. * (See the blog.)

-R.S..Hoover

Sold me one too. His engine mounts (bought one, sent it back) didn't
work for my airframe, but the point is, Steve will sell you lots of
stuff he doesn't list, either seperately or AT ALL in his catalog. I
bought my Flywheel End Piece from him well before he announced that
engine configuration, and mine wasn't the first he'd sold - airboat
people had been using them for some time.

You can see MY blog for how I'm planning on arranging things:

http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2007/10...nversions.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2007/05...-flywheel.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2007/06...prototype.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2007/06...rd-mockup.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2007/08...st-system.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/Sonerai/End_Piece.html

Regarding the Wittman rear drive, I have the plans for it. Don't go
there; it's more trouble than it's worth.
Old July 31st 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
On Jul 30, 5:50 am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

Let's not completely forget the late, great Steve Wittman and his V-Witt
racer.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Wittman arrangement uses an
outboard bearing, the 'flywheel-drive' does not. Significant
reduction in cost, weight & complexity.

I think Steve (Bennett) focus was on providing for a sturdy starter-
drive. But if you stick with the Armstrong starter, the flywheel-
drive proves to be the lightest and least expensive method of attach a
propeller to the VW engine.

-R.S.Hoover

Taking the second part first, I agree that it is simply the lighter and
probably stronger method. However, knowing now that they are different, I
will stay with Steve Wittman's method.

Peter

Old July 31st 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

flybynightkarmarepair wrote:

http://www.demellocranks.com/Price%20List,%202006.htm

Welded stroker crank = $285
Forged ChinCom crank = $225 both as of 2006

Thanx, that pretty good prices for how highly rated their parts are but
they sorely need to update their website...

Tony
Old July 31st 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

On Jul 30, 12:18 pm, " wrote:
[...]

Thanx again. I've copied this to my archieves and I'll be looking over
your blog later on...

Tony