A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Apology



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old October 20th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,379
Default The Apology

What these people don't seem to understand is that that was the common
behavior, belief, and attitude of the era.* I'm not saying it's either
good or bad, just that it was.* Getting upset today over something that
happened decades ago, and was mainstream at the time, is simply someone
wanting to stir up bad feelings.* These are the same people who claim
that Thomas Jefferson was a bad person.

On 10/20/2020 3:05 PM, wrote:
Here are the feedback letters concening this.

The 3rd and 4th had the patience to clearly explain the issue.


https://mydigitalpublication.com/pub...er&v er=html5

Basically instead of welcoming women, the ad brought back memories of days when women were supposed to be worshipping pilots instead of being pilots.

With hindsight, perhaps SSF could have run same picture with the lady having just piloted a glider 1000k, the guy astonished with the no engine thing, and the tag line talking about the love of flying?


--
Dan, 5J
Ads
  #22  
Old October 21st 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 261
Default The Apology

Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine is someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.
  #23  
Old October 21st 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,379
Default The Apology

I've met both complainant and the SSA President, both at the WSPA
seminar at Black Forest in the early 90s and got along just fine with both.

As to respect, what about those of us who are offended by their
complaints?* So feel free to apologize for yourself, but not for me.

On 10/20/2020 5:49 PM, MNLou wrote:
Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine is someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.


--
Dan, 5J
  #24  
Old October 21st 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 281
Default The Apology

* Getting upset today over something that
happened decades ago, and was mainstream at the time, is simply someone
wanting to stir up bad feelings.*



Agreed that this old stuff happened in the mainstream in the 40's and best water under the bridge today, even if bad by today's standards. Wanting to stir up bad feelings because of it not productive.

The complaint seems about the same stuff unfortunately happening today.
  #25  
Old October 21st 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default The Apology

I'm offended by the people that are offended by by the people that are offended by the SSF ad. Now you can be offended by my offence.
  #26  
Old October 21st 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bella Smolder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default The Apology

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 9:09:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm offended by the people that are offended by by the people that are offended by the SSF ad. Now you can be offended by my offence.

So is that the triple dog dare?
  #27  
Old October 21st 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 123
Default The Apology

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 7:09:17 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've met both complainant and the SSA President, both at the WSPA
seminar at Black Forest in the early 90s and got along just fine with both.

As to respect, what about those of us who are offended by their
complaints? So feel free to apologize for yourself, but not for me.
On 10/20/2020 5:49 PM, MNLou wrote:
Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine if someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.

--
Dan, 5J


The most telling aspect of this thread is that almost all the respondents are men, and almost all the men seem completely blank ("without empathy") regarding how this ad could feel demeaning to a woman. This cluelessness is, I think, the main point for many women. Dan Marotta gets it. Congratulations, Dan!
  #28  
Old October 21st 20, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default The Apology

The most telling aspect of this thread is that almost all the respondents are men,
Well most readers and posters on this list are men, so no surprise there

and almost all the men seem completely blank ("without empathy")

Or they are just utterly sick of the virtue signalling that they are exposed to

This cluelessness is, I think, the main point for many women.

Well, unless the women are in a position of a Tardis, they can not be easily offended by something that has yet to be written.

Like Dan, I believe that you cannot, or rather should not, redo history.

Paul
  #29  
Old October 21st 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default The Apology

History is women pilots have lowered themselves to product promotions, but not like the artist rendering. Here is a real advertisement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bce6wB4zJMAozWF96

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZrXsXRiHEfK7QjYv7

Like Dan, I believe that you cannot, or rather should not, redo history.

Paul

  #30  
Old October 21st 20, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 321
Default The Apology

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 6:16:38 PM UTC-4, xcnick wrote:
Whatever the problem is I'm listening.

Back to reality of era, here is she is third from the left with Eleanor Roosevelt. Closest to the camera with USA on her sleeve is Ann Woods who just told Mrs. President: “In England, the ladies get equal pay as the men.” Look at Eleanor's smile. This first was two lifetimes ago, but it is still an issue in the USA.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFCcTozLaaAZURdVA


You could stop digging (before you get to China).
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apology Bob Gardner Piloting 2 January 4th 05 06:51 PM
Apology Curtis Soaring 0 October 20th 04 03:44 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Products 0 October 20th 04 03:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.