ATC says wrong position

Old April 28th 04, 04:06 PM
Greg Esres

Default ATC says wrong position

When being vectored, and ATC says your 4 miles from X, I noticed
occasionally that they state the wrong X. They confuse the FAF with
the IF. For this reason, I tell students to never rely on ATC's
distance statements to make a descent.

How often do others see this?
Old April 28th 04, 04:42 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:06:39 GMT, Greg Esres wrote:

When being vectored, and ATC says your 4 miles from X, I noticed
occasionally that they state the wrong X. They confuse the FAF with
the IF. For this reason, I tell students to never rely on ATC's
distance statements to make a descent.

How often do others see this?

I guess I'm not understanding the circumstance clearly, that might lead
someone to use that kind of information as an "OK to descend" point.

If ATC is giving an approach clearance, and you are being radar vectored or
on a random route, you should have received an "altitude to maintain until
...."

If you are approaching an IAF that has a procedure turn, and you are NOT
receiving radar vectors to final, I was taught that being on a published
portion of the approach meant that I had to cross the IAF first.

?????

Old April 28th 04, 05:02 PM

Greg Esres wrote:

When being vectored, and ATC says your 4 miles from X, I noticed
occasionally that they state the wrong X. They confuse the FAF with
the IF. For this reason, I tell students to never rely on ATC's
distance statements to make a descent.

How often do others see this?

That's one of the many valuable purposes that a moving map of the MVA
chart would serve. Of course, with GPS, the pilot can, and should be,
the final authority on the distance to the final approach fix or point.

Old April 28th 04, 05:11 PM
Teacherjh

When being vectored, and ATC says your 4 miles from X, I noticed
occasionally that they state the wrong X. They confuse the FAF with
the IF. For this reason, I tell students to never rely on ATC's
distance statements to make a descent.

How often do others see this?

On a VFR approach to Oakland, I was told I was a mile off course when in fact I
was lined up precisely with the runway. The aircraft ahead of me was told the
same thing (but I don't know what his alignment was). I suspect their radar
was a bit off that day.

Jose

Old April 28th 04, 05:28 PM
Greg Esres

I guess I'm not understanding the circumstance clearly, that might
lead someone to use that kind of information as an "OK to descend"
point.

When being vectored outside the FAF, ATC will say, "You're 4 miles
from x, turn left heading 210, maintain 2,500 until established,
cleared for the approach".

If you are between the IF and the FAF (as they said you were), then
the published altitude is 2,000. If you are outside the IF, the
published altitude remains 2,500.

If ATC says you're 4 miles outside the FAF, but you're really 4 miles
outside the IF, then if you descend based on that info, you've screwed
up.

Old April 28th 04, 05:31 PM
Greg Esres

Of course, with GPS, the pilot can, and should be, the final
authority on the distance to the final approach fix or point.

Agreed.

However, this "service" provided by ATC occured (I suppose) long
before we had means to always verify the information. Seems a bit
unsafe.

Old April 28th 04, 07:42 PM

Greg Esres wrote:

Of course, with GPS, the pilot can, and should be, the final
authority on the distance to the final approach fix or point.

Agreed.

However, this "service" provided by ATC occured (I suppose) long
before we had means to always verify the information. Seems a bit
unsafe.

all with vectors to approach courses.

There have been more unsafe situations resulting from vectors over the
years than anyone really knows. The NASA database is full of them, but
the FAA ignores the issue. Some are controller errors, some are pilot
errors, and some are a combination of the two.

Old April 28th 04, 07:47 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote in message ...

Greg Esres wrote:

Of course, with GPS, the pilot can, and should be, the final
authority on the distance to the final approach fix or point.

Agreed.

However, this "service" provided by ATC occured (I suppose) long
before we had means to always verify the information. Seems a bit
unsafe.

all with vectors to approach courses.

There have been more unsafe situations resulting from vectors over the
years than anyone really knows. The NASA database is full of them, but
the FAA ignores the issue. Some are controller errors, some are pilot
errors, and some are a combination of the two.

That is because FAA is afraid of opening ATC controllers up to civil
liability. What FAA fails to comprehend is that "gross negligence", or
"restraint of trade", is required to win a lawsuit in such a situation.
Human error is not gross negligence and the issue could be safely addressed.

Old April 28th 04, 08:26 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:28:40 GMT, Greg Esres wrote:

I guess I'm not understanding the circumstance clearly, that might
lead someone to use that kind of information as an "OK to descend"
point.

When being vectored outside the FAF, ATC will say, "You're 4 miles
from x, turn left heading 210, maintain 2,500 until established,
cleared for the approach".

If you are between the IF and the FAF (as they said you were), then
the published altitude is 2,000. If you are outside the IF, the
published altitude remains 2,500.

If ATC says you're 4 miles outside the FAF, but you're really 4 miles
outside the IF, then if you descend based on that info, you've screwed
up.

OK, I understand now. I'm not an instructor, so I can only repeat back
what I learned years ago. I think my approach would be to emphasize to the
student the importance of situational awareness in all instances, and the
attitude that he is the one flying and responsible.

An intermediate segment is usually at least five miles long. So if all of
a sudden ATC places the pilot 5+ miles from where the pilot thinks he is,
that should trigger an immediate reaction to verify position.

I think students (and advanced pilots) sometimes fall into the trap of
allowing/expecting too much hand-holding from ATC. That may be more true
in certain areas of the country than others. So I think it's extremely
important to emphasize SA, responsibility, and the importance of being on a
published segment of the approach (and knowing exactly where you are)
before beginning a descent.