Aviation in television shows, question..

Old March 29th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Default Aviation in television shows, question..

Back in the early 60's I remember watching a television
show that featured military jets, test pilots and fighter
missions. It was in black and white and I think it ran
once a week. I was in grade school at the time and never
missed an episode.

I can distinctly remember curled-toed X-2 landings, the
audio-from-mic-in-oxygen-mask dialog and the Sabre dance.

Anyone know what I'm thinking about?
Old March 29th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Stewart wrote:
Back in the early 60's I remember watching a television
show that featured military jets, test pilots and fighter
missions. It was in black and white and I think it ran
once a week. I was in grade school at the time and never
missed an episode.

I can distinctly remember curled-toed X-2 landings, the
audio-from-mic-in-oxygen-mask dialog and the Sabre dance.

Anyone know what I'm thinking about?

Are you thinking of the Steve Canyon show which ran in 1958?

I think that is the one where a flight of 3 F-102's has a total
engine failure in one of the A/C and the other two "tow" him
home by putting their wingtips under the failed A/C's wingtips.

Plus other breath taking adventures.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old March 30th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Walt

On Mar 29, 10:54 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Back in the early 60's I remember watching a television
show that featured military jets, test pilots and fighter
missions. It was in black and white and I think it ran
once a week. I was in grade school at the time and never
missed an episode.

I can distinctly remember curled-toed X-2 landings, the
audio-from-mic-in-oxygen-mask dialog and the Sabre dance.

Anyone know what I'm thinking about?

Steve Canyon? It was one of my favorite comic strips in the '50's and
I was pretty excited when they made a tv show out of it. Pretty dumb
show, but I watched it religiously.

--Walt
Bozeman

Old March 30th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Mar 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
Are you thinking of the Steve Canyon show which ran in 1958?

I think that is the one where a flight of 3 F-102's has a total
engine failure in one of the A/C and the other two "tow" him
home by putting their wingtips under the failed A/C's wingtips.

Ohmigod. Old memories. Is this the episode y'all are thinking of:

http://home.earthlink.net/~joesarno/tvcomics/steve.htm

It also turns out that you can order old Sky Kings and Steve Canyons
on tape:

http://www.forgottenfilms.biz/home.p...ion=0&pag e=5

My little brother and I watched Jet Jackson all the time...

Kev

Old March 30th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Walt" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 29, 10:54 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Back in the early 60's I remember watching a television
show that featured military jets, test pilots and fighter
missions. It was in black and white and I think it ran
once a week. I was in grade school at the time and never
missed an episode.

I can distinctly remember curled-toed X-2 landings, the
audio-from-mic-in-oxygen-mask dialog and the Sabre dance.

Anyone know what I'm thinking about?

Steve Canyon? It was one of my favorite comic strips in the '50's and
I was pretty excited when they made a tv show out of it. Pretty dumb
show, but I watched it religiously.

Hmmm...I was two when that show ran. The earliest I remember is Sky King in
his Beech, in re-runs and his C-310 in later shows. That and Whirlybirds.

Old March 31st 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

ups.com...

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0051317/

Old March 31st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Hmmm...I was two when that show ran. The earliest I remember is Sky King in
his Beech, in re-runs and his C-310 in later shows. That and Whirlybirds.

That wasn't a twin-Beech.
Google Bamboo Bomber. It's a Cessna.
Old March 31st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
Are you thinking of the Steve Canyon show which ran in 1958?

I think that is the one where a flight of 3 F-102's has a total
engine failure in one of the A/C and the other two "tow" him
home by putting their wingtips under the failed A/C's wingtips.

Ohmigod. Old memories. Is this the episode y'all are thinking of:

http://home.earthlink.net/~joesarno/tvcomics/steve.htm

It also turns out that you can order old Sky Kings and Steve Canyons
on tape:

http://www.forgottenfilms.biz/home.p...ion=0&pag e=5

My little brother and I watched Jet Jackson all the time...

Someone sells a complete collection of Sky King TV shows for about $275, a
little too rich for my blood. I'm an Old Time Radio (OTR) person, and only
about a half dozen of all the Sky King radio shows survive, the rest having
been destroyed in a fire. I've tried finding other OTR aviation shows, and
the only one that isn't dreadful is "Hap Harrigan - America's Ace of the
Airways!" Trivia: Kirby Grant (star of Sky King) was trying to revive Sky
King as a TV series at the time of his death. He died in a traffic accident
on his way to be a VIP guest of the Challenger launch, on the day it blew
up.

Two good aviation shows on PBS Neil Gould Piloting 1 November 15th 06 02:57 AM
unforgetable Air Shows Adam Wiktor Kamela Aerobatics 0 November 29th 05 03:23 AM
Plane Shows Thank You Piloting 0 February 12th 05 03:34 AM
NBC shows their colors again Rich S. Home Built 25 August 30th 04 10:45 PM
MN, ND, SD, WI, and IA Fly Ins and Air Shows Web site Peter von Tresckow Piloting 0 April 28th 04 09:15 PM