I'm not a real Pilot?

Old March 30th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David[_3_]

Default I'm not a real Pilot?

Once again, I'm not a real pilot.
Yesterday my daughter was confronted at school by
some (6th grade) classmates, they said her father was
not a real pilot.

To give you a little back history, my daughter is so
proud of her father that she's always telling anyone
she meets that her father is a pilot.
She doesn't tell them that I fly for a living because
she knows that we fly for the joy of traveling by air.
When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot but
because of all the negative people that surrounded
me, they convinced me that it was something I could
not achieve, so it wasn't till I was in my twenties that
I went out and got my certificate anyway and have
been flying for the last twenty plus years.
Long story short: I really enjoy flying, for the fun of
it and that is it.

My daughters classmates met someone outside of
school that knows me and when they got to talking
the kid mentioned that I was a pilot for an airline and
that person (an adult) corrected them and told them
that I was not a real pilot that I only fly TOY planes.

Funny thing is that I have a drivers license and have
never had the urge to drive a bus, I have been boating
all my life since I was 10 years old and have never
wanted to become a cruise-ship captain.
So why is it the general public thinks that to be a real
pilot you have to aspire to become a scheduled airline captain?
Flying around on someone else's schedule is not my
idea of fun especially to destinations I don't really care to go to.

I normally invite those that tell me I'm not a real pilot
to go up and fly around in the clouds with me and
see if they can land the plane.

Oh well!
Guess it leave more room in the plane for those that
should really be there to begin with.

David - MBP: make believe pilot

Old March 30th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/30/2007 10:07:14 AM, "David" wrote:

My daughters classmates met someone outside of
school that knows me and when they got to talking
the kid mentioned that I was a pilot for an airline and
that person (an adult) corrected them and told them
that I was not a real pilot that I only fly TOY planes.

This person seems to be an insecure adult who believes that setting the bar
higher than what you have accomplished makes him feel better about himself.

Of course, had you been a scheduled airline pilot this person probably would
have corrected the young girl by saying that only fighter pilots are real
pilots and that scheduled airline pilots are nothing but glorified bus
drivers.

And so it goes. Disregard the criticism and enjoy the fruits of your
accomplishment. Life is too short to get caught up in others' negativity.

--
Peter
Old March 30th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Rule 1 for feeling good about yourself in this life is simply this;
Don't ever allow someone else's problem to become your problem.
Dudley Henriques

Old March 30th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Dudley Henriques" wrote)
Rule 1 for feeling good about yourself in this life is simply this;
Don't ever allow someone else's problem to become your problem.

Rule #2 - FFGAY:
(Um, ...you know what I meant)

Learn to say "No" by the time you're 35.
- Your life will improve greatly!

I saw this on one of those 'saying-a-day' cube calendars.

Montblack

Old March 30th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 30, 7:07 am, "David" wrote:
[...]

Am I missing something? Why do you care? Man, if you care about every
negative thing people say about you you'll have a bad experience on
USNET.

-Robert

Old March 30th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Walt

On Mar 30, 10:08 am, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
wrote:
("Dudley Henriques" wrote)

Rule 1 for feeling good about yourself in this life is simply this;
Don't ever allow someone else's problem to become your problem.

Rule #2 - FFGAY:
(Um, ...you know what I meant)

Learn to say "No" by the time you're 35.
- Your life will improve greatly!

I saw this on one of those 'saying-a-day' cube calendars.

Montblack

Okay, I'm clueless; what does FFGAY mean?

--Walt
Bozeman

Old March 30th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

"David" wrote:
Once again, I'm not a real pilot.
Yesterday my daughter was confronted at school by
some (6th grade) classmates, they said her father was
not a real pilot.

SNIP

I normally invite those that tell me I'm not a real pilot
to go up and fly around in the clouds with me and
see if they can land the plane.

Oh well!
Guess it leave more room in the plane for those that
should really be there to begin with.

David - MBP: make believe pilot

Yep David, those are the people you want to take for a ride and while on
short final, let go of the controls and tell them, "You Have the Plane."

Want to see how fast you become a real pilot? ;-)

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

Old March 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

David writes:

So why is it the general public thinks that to be a real
pilot you have to aspire to become a scheduled airline captain?

For much the same reason that some people think that people who fly simulators
cannot be real pilots. It's human nature to try to rank people, always in
such a way that the person doing the ranking turns out to merit a high rank,
whereas other people turn out to merit a low rank.

Old March 30th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Yep David, those are the people you want to take for a ride and while on
short final, let go of the controls and tell them, "You Have the Plane."

Want to see how fast you become a real pilot?

Of course, if they successfully land, your ego may implode.