Airports Around Columbia SC

Old December 22nd 03, 06:20 PM
EDR

I landed at CAE two years ago enroute to PBI.
I used Columbia Aviation on the southeast corner of the airport.
Nowhere near the service Jim described at Eagle Aviation, though.
Hotels and restaurants are a mile or two down the road by the
interstate.
Old December 22nd 03, 08:01 PM
Hankal

I landed at CAE two years ago enroute to PBI.
I used Columbia Aviation on the southeast corner of the airport.

I landed there on my way from and to SHD VA. Good service for fuel. Tower was
very helpful on my trip back to PBI. I was in and out of clouds and had a tough
time finding the airport. Was cleared to land RWY 11. I was a little
disoriented and confirmed with tower that I was on left base to RWY 11.
Previous was ask to land ILS rwy 5.
Everyone was very helpful.
Hank.
Old December 23rd 03, 02:11 AM
S Ramirez

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
Howdy Simon,

I grew up in Columbia. Let me know if you need suggestions on what to do
and see there. Cool town.

As for airports, your choices are limited to either Columbia Metropolitan
(CAE) or Owens Field (CUB). CAE is a fair distance west of downtown but
closer to the interstates. CUB is on the east side of town - far form the
interstates but closer to downtown. Your choice really depends on what

side
of town your friend reside . . or perhaps the price of fuel. Tell me

what
neighborhood or part of town they live in and I'll tell you what airport

is
most convenient.

CAE is the "big" (but GA friendly) airport with two huge runways. Eagle
Aviation has been around a long time and have cute chicks at the counter.

used to go "parking" on roof of their facility. One of their ex-employees
used to be the park-ee that turned me on to the secret rooftop accessway.
Makin' love 30 feet from the runway with the smell of avgas in the air is
probably what really motivated me to eventually become a pilot. . . but I
digress.

Very good "ass-kissin'" service last time I was there (golf cart to carry
you 30 feet from your plane and all that).

CUB is a small, well equipped GA airport. Don't know about the
counter-chicks or the service but Airnav seems to have favorable comments
about them.

--
Jim Fisher

Howdy Dude,

LOL, I enjoyed the above "stories." The counter chickies may be nice, but I
will be with the ultimate woman - my wife! She just graduated from college,
and we're taking a nice relatively short trip to see our uncle and aunt in
Irmo. Surely you know where that is. Which airport would you recommend? I
called up CUB and they said they have no ramp fees and relatively cheap gas.
If it is too far out of the way for my aunt and uncle, then I will go to
CAE; otherwise, I'll go to CUB. What do you think?

Can you tell me where the secret rooftop access is? If time permits and we
go to CAE, I'd like to take my wife up to the roof. I know we'll have a
good time, but I'm afraid I might give her shingles.

Simon

Old December 23rd 03, 09:07 PM
Jim Fisher

"S Ramirez" wrote in message
we're taking a nice relatively short trip to see our uncle and aunt in
Irmo. Surely you know where that is. Which airport would you recommend?

Irmo is to the north-northwest of downtown and due north from CAE. I'd
definately recommend CAE. Get on I-26 northbound and Irmo is about 10 miles
up the road.

CUB is waaaay across town on the east side of downtown.

called up CUB and they said they have no ramp fees and relatively cheap

gas.
If it is too far out of the way for my aunt and uncle, then I will go to
CAE; otherwise, I'll go to CUB. What do you think?

Depends on how much money you will save. Irmo is 10 miles form CAE and
mostly interstate between. Irmo is about 10 to 15 miles from CUB but there
is no really efficient way to get to CUB from Irmo. You have to go through
downtown and then some - which may be fine if you want to see some of
Columbia while you're there.

Check out Kyler's site for a map he http://tinyurl.com/2euyh

Can you tell me where the secret rooftop access is? If time permits and

we
go to CAE, I'd like to take my wife up to the roof. I know we'll have a
good time, but I'm afraid I might give her shingles.

Snicker. There are no shingles. Just a flat roof. Tar stains may be an
issue, though. Those don't come out of underwear, you know.

It's not on the roof of Eagle aviation itself. If you are standing on road
behind Eagle aviation, there is a building to the right that has (probably
"had" in these trying times) a fire escape on the side of the building
leading to the flat roof of that building. Go up the steps, lay down a
blankie and watch the planes go by!

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 24th 03, 01:40 AM
smackey

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message . ..

Eagle Aviation ...and have cute chicks at the counter.

Yes; I forgot about that. Jeesh!! And she had the cutest southern accent.
Old December 24th 03, 01:41 AM
smackey

"S Ramirez" wrote in message . com...
"smackey" wrote in message
I flew into Columbia Metropolitan (CAE), the main airport, in my C172
last summer. Parked at Eagle Aviation for a week. I was treated very
well, and can highly recommend that FBO. The airport seems to be very
GA friendly. The departure controller was very nice when I decided I
needed a popup clearance about ten minutes after I took off.

Smackey,

What is a popup clearance?

Simon

It also means I failed to properly read the weather.
Old December 24th 03, 12:08 PM
Sng Ramirez

"smackey" wrote in message
m...
"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

. ..

Eagle Aviation ...and have cute chicks at the counter.

Yes; I forgot about that. Jeesh!! And she had the cutest southern accent.

Those Southern accents kill me every time, but only from the chickies!

I do remember an incident once when a fellow engineer and I were sent to an
off-site location in Denton, TX to work at another company's site. He was
from Detroit and could imitate any accent in the book, and he was good at
it! When we got there we got the customary hotel stay until we could find a
place to stay for 9 months (one gestation period).

About a month later, we found some apartments at the same place. We both
had to go to the Denton City utilities to get our electricity turned on.
When we got there, we found a room full of people waiting around to be
serviced. We noticed that we had to take a number, so we took one number,
thinking that they could help us both at the same time. There were two
great looking chickies up there calling out numbers and helping people. The
place was busier than hell.

Anyway, our number was called and we both sprang to the counter. One of
them said "Can we help yall?" in a wonderful Texas drawl. The following
conversation ensued, all using that exact wonderful Texas drawl:

Ed: "You shore can, are you talking to him or are you talking to me?"
Her: "I'm talking to both of yall."
Ed: "You can't be talking to both of us."
Her: "Why's that?"
Ed: "Because everyone knows 'yalls' singular."
Her: "Yalls singular?"
Ed: "Yes, maam, 'yalls' singular, 'all yalls' plural."

You had to have been there. Knowing that Ed was a honky from Detroit,
Michigan didn't help me at all. I had to do the best I could from laughing,
knowing that a honk from Detroit was supposedly teaching two Texas women how
to speak their own language!

Simon