History Channel Show reminder

Old November 28th 04, 09:54 PM
Roger Long

Default History Channel Show reminder

Reminder about "Deep Sea Detectives" Monday night (November 29) at 9:00 PM
EST on the History Channel. As previously announced, rec.aviation.piloting's
own Roger Long is to be seen pontificating briefly at the end of the show.

A good half of the show is about Admiral Byrd's flight over the South Pole
so it's worth watching even if you don't give a hoot about seeing my mug.
Some good footage of the unloading of the aircraft and the flight.

I just learned that one of my flying club buddy's fourth cousin was the
pilot of the aircraft so he'll be watching with double interest.

I saw a tape of the show. They cut my time down considerably from what the
head honcho originally told me it would be. My conclusions are presented but
none of my reasoning which makes me look even more pompous than in real
life. I've also got to get a wardrobe consultant before I do this again.
Wow, do I ever look rumpled!

--
Roger Long

Old November 29th 04, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

Reminder about "Deep Sea Detectives" Monday night (November 29) at 9:00 PM
EST on the History Channel. As previously announced,
rec.aviation.piloting's own Roger Long is to be seen pontificating briefly
at the end of the show.

Dang, Roger -- they're playing you opposite Monday Night Football?

That's a tough row to hoe... Especially when my beloved Packers are
playing!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Dang, Roger -- they're playing you opposite Monday Night Football?

That's a tough row to hoe... Especially when my beloved Packers are
playing!

Must be tough to be the last person in North America without a VCR. How do
you guys manage? Don't all your friends make fun of you?

Old November 29th 04, 09:07 PM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Dang, Roger -- they're playing you opposite Monday Night Football?

That's a tough row to hoe... Especially when my beloved Packers are
playing!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck

AAhh, the joys of video tape! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 29th 04, 10:40 PM
Jim Fisher

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Dang, Roger -- they're playing you opposite Monday Night Football?

That's a tough row to hoe... Especially when my beloved Packers are
playing!

Must be tough to be the last person in North America without a VCR. How
do you guys manage? Don't all your friends make fun of you?

Mine do.

I've got satellite, digital home theater stuff, CD Changers, dual DVD and
DVD recorder and more remotes than I can shake all ten fingers at. I've got
a thousand miles of wires in a ratty mess behind my (now antiquated)
oversized projection TV with PiP (that doesn't work, either).

I had it all working together at one time then moved from one house to
another. It's such a pain to re-hook up everything so it all works together
that my VCR is still in the box after a year.

I'm awaiting DVR to make it all better.

There was a movement some years ago with a "new" firewire scheme where
everything would be standardized. You simply daisy-chain all components
with firewire and they all automatically see each other and work through a
single remote. That was the dream, anyway.

Life used to be much more simple, ya know?

I'll see you on the TV tonight, Roger.

--
Jim Fisher

Old November 29th 04, 11:42 PM
Rick Durden

Roger,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be watching.

Interesting thing about Byrd's "flights": although he was trained as
a naval aviator, he never did any of the flying on any of his
expeditionary flights, choosing to "navigate". Unfortunately, he
never did any of that either, leaving finding the destination to the
pilot. It's pretty well accepted that he faked his North Pole flight
as he wasn't gone long enough to have covered the round trip distance.
On his flight over the Atlantic, he screwed around so long in
preparation that Lindbergh beat him. His pilots were Bert Acosta, who
could not flight instruments, and Bernt Balchen, chief test pilot for
Fokker, who could and did fly instruments, hand flying the Fokker
trimotor all the way across the Atlantic in the clag. Balchen was the
pilot on the South Pole flight in a Ford 4AT Trimotor. They didn't
have the range to do it nonstop, so they landed at a fuel cache that
had been spotted by dog teams on the return leg from the South Pole.
While the pilots and radio operator were putting over 300 gallons of
fuel into the airplane's wings from 5-gallon cans, Byrd got hammered
on brandy he'd snuck aboard, and passed out. He revived by the time
they got back to Little America. He provided no navigational
assistance to the crew on the flight. The books by Balchen and others
on the crew are fascinating. Byrd was a genius at raising funds and
organizing expeditions, but went weird once they were underway.

All the best,
Rick

Old November 30th 04, 02:49 AM
bryan chaisone

"Roger Long" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Only got a glimps, wedding anniversary and wife wants it NOW! Are
you the one in blue shirt and red tie?

Bryan
Old November 30th 04, 04:37 AM
vincent p. norris

A good half of the show is about Admiral Byrd's flight over the South Pole

Seemed a lot less than that to me.

I saw a tape of the show. They cut my time down considerably from what the
head honcho originally told me it would be. My conclusions are presented but
none of my reasoning which makes me look even more pompous than in real
life.

No, I thought you came off very well. You made sense.

But I thought the show, as a whole, was not very good. There was
enough stuff for a half-hour show but they had to stretch it to an
hour (less commercials, of course), by dragging out that U-Boat
nonsense far longer than it was worth.

vince norris
Old November 30th 04, 04:40 AM
Dave Stadt

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
A good half of the show is about Admiral Byrd's flight over the South

Pole

Seemed a lot less than that to me.

I saw a tape of the show. They cut my time down considerably from what

the
head honcho originally told me it would be. My conclusions are presented

but
none of my reasoning which makes me look even more pompous than in real
life.

No, I thought you came off very well. You made sense.

But I thought the show, as a whole, was not very good. There was
enough stuff for a half-hour show but they had to stretch it to an
hour (less commercials, of course), by dragging out that U-Boat
nonsense far longer than it was worth.

vince norris

I thought the blonde made it pretty tolerable.

Old November 30th 04, 05:15 AM
vincent p. norris

Interesting thing about Byrd's "flights": although he was trained as
a naval aviator, he never did any of the flying on any of his
expeditionary flights, choosing to "navigate". Unfortunately, he
never did any of that either, leaving finding the destination to the
pilot.

Rick, I think you've gone overboard there. Byrd obviously navigated
pretty damn well for about 16 hours, IIRC, in a most difficult part of
the globe where a magnetic compass is almost worthless. If he had
not, he would never have got the airplane close enough to Spitzbergen
for the pilot to be able to see the airport, even in CAVU conditions.

I, too, was trained as a Naval Aviator, and when I went back to
college, the University of Illinois decided I had "earned" 30
college-level credits in celestial navigation. That's a normal
full-year's worth of credits--the equivalent of a "major." But I
could not possibly navigate an airplane for 16 hours in the polar
regions and find my destination airport.

Byrd had invented a new kind of compass, a "Sun Compass," to make the
navigation possible.

It's pretty well accepted that he faked his North Pole flight...

He didn't fake "the flight"; he and Floyd Bennett flew for about 16
hours. It does seem clear, now, that he didn't reach the pole;
whether he "faked" that part, or simply screwed up, I don't think
either you or I can know for certain.

On his flight over the Atlantic, he screwed around so long in
preparation that Lindbergh beat him.

His airplane nosed over on landing, on a test flight, damaging the a/c
(and seriously injuring Floyd Bennett), which delayed his flight.

Byrd got hammered on brandy he'd snuck aboard, and passed out.
He revived by the time they got back to Little America. He provided no navigational
assistance to the crew on the flight. The books by Balchen and others
on the crew are fascinating.

I haven't read those books, but I've read others that were very
critical of Byrd; however, I don't recall any of them mentioning his
getting "hammered." I'm sure you know that not everything we read is
true. He certainly was a prickly character, probably a "spoiled rich
brat," and perhaps a grand-stander, but he demonstrated his personal
courage on several occasions.

vince norris