ADSB visibility with non certified GPS

Old September 30th 17, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ADSB visibility with non certified GPS

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 1:34:39 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:45:07 AM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
The Flarm folks have teamed up with TBS to enable Flarm on dronesje.
Possibly
the big iron operators will be more motivated by drones than gliders to
adopt
Flarm.

https://flarm.com/flarm-market-leader-for-uav/

The big iron will never install flarm.
There are better solutions for UAVs. Look at this company and the tiny Mod S transponder with ADS-B out. This Mod S transponder will be visible to TCAS and it is so small that it can be installed in an UAV.

No link
Thx
UH
Old September 30th 17, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 1:34:39 PM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 11:45:07 AM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
The Flarm folks have teamed up with TBS to enable Flarm on dronesje.
Possibly
the big iron operators will be more motivated by drones than gliders to
adopt
Flarm.

https://flarm.com/flarm-market-leader-for-uav/

The big iron will never install flarm.
There are better solutions for UAVs. Look at this company and the tiny Mod S transponder with ADS-B out. This Mod S transponder will be visible to TCAS and it is so small that it can be installed in an UAV.

and the link is:
http://www.rcubedengineering.com/ecommerce/echoesx.html
Old September 30th 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 4:45:24 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Looking for the usage split with a dual-link receiver would be interesting... Andy Blackburn you got any observations for GA?

My observations are anecdotal and based on living 15 miles from SFO. I need to take my rig out away from a major airport to where it's mostly GA. With that disclaimer, here's what I saw sitting near the San Carlos, CA airport..

The targets shown on linked screenshots (link below) are from a version of Stratux that shows the type of ADS-B traffic by appending two characters to the beginning of the aircraft ID - e=1090ES, u=UAT for the link frequency; a=ADS-B direct, t=TIS-B, r=ADS-R. The screenshots are from earlier in the summer.

Observations:
1) Most of the ADS-B direct traffic is 1090ES, even for non-airline traffic.. I haven't done a lot of looking up of aircraft IDs to sort out type of aircraft. I'm presuming a bias towards high-end aircraft based on my location..
2) There is some UAT traffic, because something is asking for ADS-R and TIS-B over UAT and it's not me.
3) There seems to still a lot of transponder-only traffic as evidenced by all the TIS-B traffic. I am assuming that if this traffic had an ADS-B direct signal it would take display precedence over TIS-B.
4) A lot of aircraft appear to not have their ADS-B aircraft type set properly as jets seem to pretty regularly show up as pistons. Still trying to figure that one out.
5) Lots of traffic flips between ADS-B direct and ADS-R. I'm assuming this is based on whichever signal is stronger or some de-duplicating logic in Stratux.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Eg5ME8zZmNJWGs

Andy Blackburn
9B

Old September 30th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 12:12:11 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
/snip/
3) There seems to still a lot of transponder-only traffic as evidenced by all the TIS-B traffic. I am assuming that if this traffic had an ADS-B direct signal it would take display precedence over TIS-B.

Yep. The aircraft has UAT or 1090ES Out then you generally won't see TIS-B reports for it as all the client aircraft should have that data satisfied by ASD-B direct or ADS-R. There must be some cases where SSR targets are not deduplicated with Mode C transponders and broadcast anyhow. That should be a pretty low, but I don't know any numbers. I suspect you are really seeing all the folks who have yet to go ASD-B Out at all.
Old September 30th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So is it possible that UAT will be abandoned and everybody move to 1090ES? And then the FAA will stop mirroring the info as ADS-R to the UAT frequency? If that happens, will the existing PowerFLARM devices become useless (other than flarm-to-flarm warnings)?
Old September 30th 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 2:23:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So is it possible that UAT will be abandoned and everybody move to 1090ES? And then the FAA will stop mirroring the info as ADS-R to the UAT frequency? If that happens, will the existing PowerFLARM devices become useless (other than flarm-to-flarm warnings)?

UAT won't be abandoned, there is clearly significant use out there. And the FAA/and its' contractors and owners have already invested a huge amount in all this infrastructure. This discussion went off on talking about the relative adoption of 1090ES and UAT vs older assumptions that it would be largely UAT at lower-altitudes, and that is not what appears to be happening. And UAT receiver technology allows FIS-B data display for weather and TFRs etc. which is a nice benefit and nobody will want that taken away.

I don't understand why you think existing PowerFLARM devices are related to UAT. The only ADS-B thing a PowerFLARM can do is receive 190ES In, and only that direct from the 1090ES Out aircraft. They come out of Europe were there is no UAT and are completely incompatible with UAT. If UAT never existed PowerFLARM would be *more* useful in the USA because you would see all ADS-B Out traffic. PowerFLARM does not transmit on UAT, can't see UAT, and can't receive ADS-R relay of UAT traffic (even if you have a suitable ADS-B Out system to cause your glider to become an ADS-R client).
Old October 1st 17, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Andy,

What hardware/software are you running to display the Stratux data stream?
Old October 1st 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 5:03:10 PM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Andy,

What hardware/software are you running to display the Stratux data stream?

Here's a list of compatible apps.

http://stratux.me

Andy
Old October 1st 17, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 09/30/2017 01:12 PM, Andy Blackburn wrote:

4) A lot of aircraft appear to not have their ADS-B aircraft type set properly as jets seem to pretty regularly show up as pistons. Still trying to figure that one out.

I've been watching 1090ES traffic on a FlightAware (Piaware) receiver
for several years. 60 Miles N of Denver International, so see lots of
jets headed up to Seattle area. I don't ever remember seeing a jet
misidentify as a piston plane on my system.

There used to be some occasional errors, like a heading always showing N
regardless of actual track over the ground, and position reports wildly
bouncing all over the place, but those seem to be cleaned up now.

-Dave
Old October 1st 17, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

FlightAware may be using the ICAO ID to look up aircraft type. I'm talking about the aircraft type embedded in the ADS-B transmission itself. It's also possible Stratux has some sort of glitch, but I was looking at the individual data packets and something wasn't right on some. I've heard similar reports from industry insiders - aircraft IDd as AC type "balloon". Go figure..

Stratus / Foreflight ADSB 6X Soaring 5 December 17th 13 09:34 AM
ADSB is only the start... Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 0 October 1st 09 01:27 PM
Santa and ADSB Mal Soaring 0 December 15th 06 07:42 PM
Non-certified parts for a certified plane? Dico Owning 10 August 22nd 06 03:11 AM
Accident Statistics: Certified vs. Non-Certified Engines Ron Wanttaja Home Built 23 January 18th 04 05:36 PM