Wireless at Osh

Old June 24th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Wireless at Osh

In article ,
"Brian O" wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
In article , John T
wrote:

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

And someone will be sitting there with their laptop watching everything
streaming by in the ether. Google "ethereal" for more information. :-))
Beware of ARP cache poisoning, also.
Never use any program which transmits any of your passwords over an open
wireless network.

Why would you not want to use any programs that transmits any passwords?
They are just as encrypted as they would be over a landline or dsl
connection.

Unless you are logging into a private VPN service through the open wifi
connection they are not. Beware of the man-in-the-middle!
Old June 24th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Wireless at Osh - laptop power?

I could see were this would come in very handy.
Lou

Old June 25th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john smith writes:

In article ,
"Brian O" wrote:

"john smith" wrote in message
In article , John T
wrote:

This has been a recurring topic with no clear answers.

I say, hoof it over to the hilton. They have wireless for their guests.
There is no sign on page, but I have no idea what their range is.

And someone will be sitting there with their laptop watching everything
streaming by in the ether. Google "ethereal" for more information. :-))
Beware of ARP cache poisoning, also.
Never use any program which transmits any of your passwords over an open
wireless network.

Why would you not want to use any programs that transmits any passwords?
They are just as encrypted as they would be over a landline or dsl
connection.

Unless you are logging into a private VPN service through the open wifi
connection they are not. Beware of the man-in-the-middle!

Well, https is encrypted, for web stuff. Mostly, though, I connect
back to important places via SSH, which is very carefully encrypted.
If you've connected from that laptop to that destination before, SSH
also remembers the host key info, and can then detect
man-in-the-middle attacks, as can https.
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old June 25th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Newps wrote:
Try this. I bought one last year from this guy. Works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-12V-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

Can you just hook this up directly to maybe a sealed lead acid battery
or a gel cell and charge it? I've never been clear on whether or not
electronic circuits are used to prevent overcharging or whether one of
these puts out enough juice to be concerned.

Tom
Old June 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most small solar panels have low amperage and will not over
charge a wet cell battery. If they were used to directly
charge a dry cell battery, such as a C or D cell they might
over charge, but a wet cell battery with an AHr rating of 25
amps can be charged indefinitely at a rate of 2-3 amps and
you will be using the battery to run an inverter to power
various other loads.

Old June 25th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:51:51 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
JTxng.49575$ZW3.40014@dukeread04::

Most small solar panels have low amperage and will not over
charge a wet cell battery.

The solar panel mentioned has a 13 watt rating. That's a little over
1 amp at 12 volts (in full sun).

Old June 25th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Theune" wrote in message
john smith wrote:
What about power for the laptop while camping by the plane. I don't think
using an inverter through the aircraft battery would be a good idea ;-)

I am looking at one of the Honda 1KW generators.
They are small and quiet, but weigh 29 pounds without fuel.
Use it to recharge the laptop computer, camcorder/still camera/cellphone
batteries.
Honda usually has a special reduced price on the field.

And it will run just fine on 100LL.

You must be talking about the Honda EU1000i,
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...elName=eu1000i it is a
real class act. Yamaha makes a similar unit, the EF1000is,
http://www.yamahagenerators.com/ef10...15125747344317 that is
similar and also excellent, and tends to have a lower street price.

I recently bought two of the Yamaha units at my job. In an informal test,
one of them ran our shop refrigerator (15 cu feet) for some 14 hours on a single
tank of gas (.66 gal)! We intend to use them to power certain small, critical,
communications installations following any disaster (read "hurricane") power
outage. May we never need them!

Vaughn

Old June 25th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Most small solar panels have low amperage and will not over
charge a wet cell battery. If they were used to directly
charge a dry cell battery, such as a C or D cell they might
over charge, but a wet cell battery with an AHr rating of 25
amps can be charged indefinitely at a rate of 2-3 amps and
you will be using the battery to run an inverter to power
various other loads.

This may be true for a few days of operation at a campsite, but overcharging
is overcharging, and it will eventually trash your battery. Take it from a guy
who ruined far too many batteries with cheap one-amp trickle chargers before he
learned. In general, solar panels need charge controllers for long-term
successful operation.

Vaughn

Old June 25th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

Most small solar panels have low amperage and will not over
charge a wet cell battery. If they were used to directly
charge a dry cell battery, such as a C or D cell they might
over charge, but a wet cell battery with an AHr rating of 25
amps can be charged indefinitely at a rate of 2-3 amps and
you will be using the battery to run an inverter to power
various other loads.

Your understanding of electricity is only exceeded by your understanding
of stall dynamics. It would take in increasing voltage to maintain 2
amps into a wet cell battery as it becomes charged. If you maintain
that rate for more than 12-13 hours, you will soon ruin the battery.
The good news is that most chargers (and certainly a PV cell) maintain a
roughly constant voltage so that the amperage tapers off as the battery
approaches full charge.

Matt
Old June 25th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I looked up the item after I sent it out, the specs say 750
milliwatt and 14 volts. It is a good trickle charger, as
long as you don't put too much load on the battery. It
should do fine for charging cellphones, cameras, and even
the laptop. But if they are all on the inverter at one time,
the battery will be discharged.