Oil door departs the airframe

Old June 12th 05, 04:58 PM
Jack Allison

Default Oil door departs the airframe

Friday on the takeoff roll from Minden, NV (MEV), the oil door decides
it's time to bail out. The latch has been a problem lately and the
whole door assembly had an appointment with my brother and his riveting
tools for a hinge and striker plate replacement. So, a co-worker and I
have just filled up on a huge 4-egg omelet at the airport cafe and we're
probably 1000 ft. in to the takeoff roll. I didn't notice anything but
my co-worker, out of the corner of his eye, sees a white flash go by.
We takeoff and as I'm turning left 20 degrees he tells me "We lost the
oil door on the runway...want to go back and get it?". Hmmm, so that's
what it looks like with a big "D" shaped hole in the cowl, eh? :-)
"Minden traffic, Arrow two one zero four Tango is not departing the
pattern, turning left downwind runway three four be advised there is an
oil door somewhere on the runway, Minden".

One of the guys helping the gliders starts to look for it and eventually
hunts down another guy in an airport truck. We jump in the back and
drive to the arrival end of 34. Sure enough, about 1000 ft. down the
runway, there it is on the right side of the runway. We get back to the
plane and one of the guys calls the local shop. A mechanic shows up
on a bike a few minutes later, takes the door back with him then comes
back with an old piece of hinge pin and some trusty 100 MPH tape. Five
minutes later, we're good to go and he charges me nothing for the
repair. Cool!

The 100 MPH tape holds well enough that we don't lose the oil door into
Lake Tahoe on the way back. First time I've seen 170 kts GS on the GPS
as we were coming downhill from 12,500 back into the Sacramento valley.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 13th 05, 05:14 PM
jsmith

Jay warned you what would happen after saying those things you said.

Old June 13th 05, 07:01 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:58:15 -0700, Jack Allison
wrote:

Friday on the takeoff roll from Minden, NV (MEV), the oil door decides
it's time to bail out.

The 100 MPH tape holds well enough that we don't lose the oil door into
Lake Tahoe on the way back. First time I've seen 170 kts GS on the GPS
as we were coming downhill from 12,500 back into the Sacramento valley.

I had the similar occurence on my PA28-180. The latch broke, and the
door started flopping around in the slipstream. Not too violent,
which was surprising given that I was at cruise speed.

Anyway, I landed and made a temp repair with duct tape. Worked just
fine, but after repair - the duct tape residue was difficult to get
off the cowling.

-Nathan

Old June 13th 05, 07:38 PM
George Patterson

Nathan Young wrote:

Anyway, I landed and made a temp repair with duct tape. Worked just
fine, but after repair - the duct tape residue was difficult to get
off the cowling.

Mineral spirits makes this very easy.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 13th 05, 08:57 PM
Dave

Try WD-40....

Seems to remove the adhesive, does not harm the paint, (but
test first! )

Dave

Old June 15th 05, 12:28 AM
omk

For a second I thought this was a joke.... but Google is a wondeful
tool.

Temporarily tape cowling hole with relatively harmless tape - $1.
Flimsily attach a potential sharp projectile for x-c flight over
hostile terrain - priceless.

That ASRS form is on its way to California, right ?

Cirrus Airframe Life Limits Dave Owning 16 April 27th 04 05:58 PM
Cirrus Airframe Life Limits Dave Piloting 16 April 27th 04 05:58 PM
Local TV News ran an accurate story about airframe icing last night Peter R. Piloting 5 January 29th 04 01:01 AM
Old airframe, new engine Jim Strand Naval Aviation 52 November 3rd 03 09:04 PM
Commander gives Navy airframe plan good review Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 8th 03 09:10 PM