Question, Diamond distance as unsuccessful triangle.

Old May 13th 04, 12:18 AM
Roger

Default Question, Diamond distance as unsuccessful triangle.

I am trying to achieve diamond distance, 500km in the US. Let say I
also was going to declare a triangle with hopes of also qualifying for
the Hilton cup. I declare a 550km triangle, I make my two turnpoints
but do not make it back to my finish point but land out having flown a
total of 520km. Would this qualify for diamond distance? I did not
complete the triangle but I have documentation of having flown 520km.

I know it seems straightforward that it should qualify, but we are
dealing with FAI rules here. Does anybody no for certain the answer.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:34 PM
Bruce

Roger wrote:
I am trying to achieve diamond distance, 500km in the US. Let say I
also was going to declare a triangle with hopes of also qualifying for
the Hilton cup. I declare a 550km triangle, I make my two turnpoints
but do not make it back to my finish point but land out having flown a
total of 520km. Would this qualify for diamond distance? I did not
complete the triangle but I have documentation of having flown 520km.

I know it seems straightforward that it should qualify, but we are
dealing with FAI rules here. Does anybody no for certain the answer.

Try this on Rec.aviation.soaring probability of a sensible answer is higher.

The 500km is a free distance, for the diamond distance badge. Hence the flight
would qualify. The rules require you to declare the intended flight and complete
at least one turnpoint. There is no requirement that you reach the finish. You
do have to have appropriate observation of your take-off and landing or the
logger sealed and undisturbed.

If you were going for the diamond goal you would fail, even after flying 500km,
because you did not reach your goal.