Connecting a GNS 430/530 to a PC

Old September 23rd 04, 08:33 AM
PA34 F-GFTF

Default Connecting a GNS 430/530 to a PC

Hi,

It seems most handheld GPS can be connected to a computer (through a serial
cable, IIRC).
That allows some cool features, like preparing your flightplan in advance on
your PC, or downloading to the PC the actual positions of your aircraft in
order to obtain a chart of the actual flight path.
Now, do you know if panel-mounted GPS can also be connected to a PC ? Namely
for Garmin's GNS 530 ?
I can't see any reference to this on the 530 reference manual, and I would
be surprise that handheld GPS can do thing that Garmin's top tier GPS can't.

fu2 rec.aviation.marketplace
--
YAG

Old September 23rd 04, 10:10 AM
Maik

Hi,

really a new idea :-)

It is possible to use the NMEA output of the Garmin 430/530 as an input
for a PC.

It is NOT possible to up-/download flightplans or waypoints.
This is NOT a technical problem.

It seems that it is not allowed for IFR or installed GPS-systems to get
Flightplans or waypoints via an external device.

There is only one chance to feed a Garmin 430/530 legally... with
another Garmin 430/530 via Crossfill.

Solution would be: write a program that simulates the communication
between two Garmins 430/530 and feed this program with flightplans and
waypoints from a flightplaning program or handheld GPS-systems.

Than you could up-/download flightplans and waypoints.
I would be happy to get such a software but writing it it is not a way
to get rich :-)

Another solution is a VFR only GPS like the KMD150. Here you can
up-/downlaod waypoints and flightplans.

Regards
Maik

PS: If I wrote anything stupid please correct me asap. thx.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:13 PM
Pokeymon

It seems most handheld GPS can be connected to a computer (through a
serial
cable, IIRC).
That allows some cool features, like preparing your flightplan in advance

on
your PC, or downloading to the PC the actual positions of your aircraft in
order to obtain a chart of the actual flight path.
Now, do you know if panel-mounted GPS can also be connected to a PC ?

Namely
for Garmin's GNS 530 ?

The 430/530 has a serial port output. If you wire the aircraft for it, then
you could connect it to your PDA or notebook to get a moving map, which
makes no sense because the 530 is already a moving map. Plus the data
format is King/Aviation, not NMEA, so most off the shelf moving map programs
couldn't interpret the serial data anyway. One interesting thing you could
do is to capture and store the flight data so you can look at it later. No
normal 430/530 installation puts a serial port connection there for you on
the panel, it would have to be a special thing for your airplane.

The 430/530 has several serial ports but they are for connecting to other
equipment or a 2nd 530 unit for cross filling flight plans. The cross fill
serial port details are not published so you can't upload your own flight
plan from your PDA or laptop either.

I can't see any reference to this on the 530 reference manual, and I would
be surprise that handheld GPS can do thing that Garmin's top tier GPS

can't.

It's a certification thing. Nobody wants you to be able to load a flight
plan from an external source. There is no assurance that the data is valid.
No general aviation panel mounted TSO'd GPS will allow you to externally
load a flight plan. All of them will provide serial data output in various
formats but are rarely wired for the pilot to have access.

If you want to play with a GPS in this manner, use your handheld.

Old September 23rd 04, 04:34 PM
Jack McAdams

I do not believe there is anyway to connect the panel-mount products
to a PC. I also went from a ahndheld GPS to a panel-mount version
(430) nad sure do miss the functionality of uploading a flightplan.

There is a second, but unused, data port on the 430 that could perhaps
provide the avenue to do this. I have talked to others and have heard
- not confirmed - that there may be a certification issue in
permitting uploading of data to a certified device.

Jack
Sundowner- N6363U

Old September 23rd 04, 08:46 PM
PA34 F-GFTF

"Maik" wrote in message
Hi,

really a new idea :-)

It is possible to use the NMEA output of the Garmin 430/530 as an input
for a PC.

It is NOT possible to up-/download flightplans or waypoints.
This is NOT a technical problem.

snip
Thanks.
Obviously it's not a new idea, but I couldn't find this info by myself.

Really too bad about the entry of flight plan.
I guess there's a similar problem about composing checklists into the GPS.

What about the data card : does it allow to enter some info into the
GNS430/530 ? Apart from the normal update ?

Thx
--
YAG

Old September 24th 04, 07:26 AM
Maik

PA34 F-GFTF wrote:
"Maik" wrote in message

Hi,

really a new idea :-)

It is possible to use the NMEA output of the Garmin 430/530 as an input
for a PC.

It is NOT possible to up-/download flightplans or waypoints.
This is NOT a technical problem.

snip
Thanks.
Obviously it's not a new idea, but I couldn't find this info by myself.

Really too bad about the entry of flight plan.
I guess there's a similar problem about composing checklists into the GPS.

What about the data card : does it allow to enter some info into the
GNS430/530 ? Apart from the normal update ?

AFAIK the data on this card is compressed and it has only 4 MB.
I don't think that this is a possible way.

A french guy wrote a program for Palm to simulate a Garmin handheld GPS.
He wanted to be able to transfer data (routes and waypoints) and other
things between 2 units.
Unfortunately he has no access to a 430. Maybe you could contact him :-)

-----------------------snip-------------------
GPilotS allows connection between a PalmPilot and a Garmin GPS in order
to take advantage of the memory and the ergonomics of the PalmPilot to
store, create and edit waypoints (with symbol and display mode support)
& Routes. Tracks can also be stored in order to be re-transmitted to
other Garmin GPS (II+, 12 ,12XL, 48. eTrex, eMap, ...) or any Garmin
compatible software.
----------------------snap--------------------
http://www.cru.fr/perso/cc/GPilotS/

Fly safe
Maik
Old September 24th 04, 05:17 PM
john smith

Isn't the software in the 430/530 Windows based?
Why would a manufacturer want to allow the potential corruption of their
operating system for such a crucial device?

Old September 25th 04, 04:38 AM

john smith wrote:
Isn't the software in the 430/530 Windows based?

It isn't Windows based.

Why would a manufacturer want to allow the potential corruption of their
operating system for such a crucial device?

They don't.