Winston Churchill As Anthrax Bomber

Old January 25th 04, 01:25 AM
John Mullen

Spiv wrote:
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Spiv" wrote in message

The Germans bombed Dublin by mistake once by a lone plane which dropped
bombs in a park or somewhere harmless. DeValera ordered all lights to
always remain on and added more. This clearly was not to protect Dublin

at

all, it was a clear effective beacon to guide planes to Liverpool. The
people of Liverpool never forgave the Irish for what they did.

Now last time I checked Dublin was a LONG way from Liverpool
so pray tell how having its lights could aid the Luftwaffe target that

city

?

It is due west of Liverpool. See Dublin to the west then steer due east and
you hit it.

Actually coastal cities are fairly easy to find even when blacked out.
Read up on Hamburg etc. No need for your urban myth!

Perhaps the Americans were
helping by not blacking out NYC in 1940 ?

You have a sense of humour I see.

How about the lights in Stockholm - were they a beacon pointing to
Newcastle do you think ?

Oh you are fun.

Well it makes almost as much sense as your Dublin story...

John

Old January 25th 04, 02:41 AM
Spiv

"Spiv" wrote in message

The Germans bombed Dublin by mistake once by a lone plane which dropped
bombs in a park or somewhere harmless.

Sorry the German did a bit of isolated bombing and killed a number of
people.

DeValera ordered all lights to
always remain on and added more. This clearly was not to protect

Dublin
at all, it was a clear effective beacon to guide planes to Liverpool.

The
people of Liverpool never forgave the Irish for what they did.

Now last time I checked Dublin was a LONG way from Liverpool
so pray tell how having its lights could aid the Luftwaffe target that

city?

It is due west of Liverpool. See Dublin to the west then steer due east

and
you hit it.

Actually coastal cities are fairly easy to find even when blacked out.
Read up on Hamburg etc. No need for your urban myth!

You obviously didn't know where Liverpool was. In a full moon they are
easy enough. At one point the whole of the Manchester Ship canal was spayed
with sawdust to prevent it shining back. German bomber coming in from the
east could follow the canal to Liverpool in a good moon.

Perhaps the Americans were
helping by not blacking out NYC in 1940 ?

You have a sense of humour I see.

How about the lights in Stockholm - were they a beacon pointing to
Newcastle do you think ?

Oh you are fun.

Well it makes almost as much sense as your Dublin story...

By your name you are Irish or of Irish decent. And yes the Irish did light
up Dublin with extra lights. Don't like that do you?

---

Old January 25th 04, 09:54 AM
Presidente Alcazar

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:08:11 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

It would also have been an astonishing waste of money, in a very lean
time, which would surprise me even more.

In a country with just 3 merchant ships to keep it supplied thats not
surprising.

They didn't have 3 ocean-going ships until Lemass got going in 1942.
Meanwhile, and afterwards, all Irisih imports crossed the German Uboat
blockade in British ships or ships in British-controlled convoys.

I'm sure the British were terribly annoyed that Ireland remained
neutral during WWII.

Handing back the treaty ports in 1938 was a gross act of stupidity.

It just proved, once again, that appeasement didn't work. For all de
Valera's encouraging noises about how dealing with such "injustices"
would improve relations, the British lost in the exchange and gained
nothing in return.

Gavin Bailey

Old January 25th 04, 10:03 AM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:26:56 -0000, "Spiv" wrote:

The Germans bombed Dublin by mistake once by a lone plane which dropped
bombs in a park or somewhere harmless. DeValera ordered all lights to
always remain on and added more.

You're now regurgitating the same crap as the idiots who claim that U boats
were being refuelled on the irish west coast. Of course occams razor is
little blunt around those who cannot figure out where the hundreds of
tonnes of heavy fuel oil came from to do so.

This clearly was not to protect Dublin at
all, it was a clear effective beacon to guide planes to Liverpool. The
people of Liverpool never forgave the Irish for what they did.

That bilge and you know it you clown.

I'm sure the British were terribly annoyed that Ireland remained
neutral during WWII.

Not really.

Oh do shut up you ignorant prat, I suggest you read Churchills VE speech
and the very pointed reference to it contained within.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.
Old January 25th 04, 11:53 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

Now last time I checked Dublin was a LONG way from Liverpool
so pray tell how having its lights could aid the Luftwaffe target that

city
?

It is due west of Liverpool. See Dublin to the west then steer due east

and
you hit it.

Or Holyhead, Colwyn Bay, Birkenhead etc.

Fact is Luftwaffe bases were in Norway and France, they werent
about to fly across the entire width of England, cross the Irish Sea
and then come back again. Its just silly.

Perhaps the Americans were
helping by not blacking out NYC in 1940 ?

You have a sense of humour I see.

How about the lights in Stockholm - were they a beacon pointing to
Newcastle do you think ?

Oh you are fun.

While you are merely funny.

Keith

Old January 25th 04, 11:54 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

You obviously didn't know where Liverpool was. In a full moon they are
easy enough. At one point the whole of the Manchester Ship canal was

spayed
with sawdust to prevent it shining back. German bomber coming in from the
east could follow the canal to Liverpool in a good moon.

Ah so Manchester was in on plot too

Keith

Old January 25th 04, 12:20 PM
John Mullen

Spiv wrote:

(snip)

DeValera ordered all lights to
always remain on and added more. This clearly was not to protect

Dublin

at all, it was a clear effective beacon to guide planes to Liverpool.

Please provide some evidence to support this or else stop making these
ridiculous claims. Failing that I will stop reading or responding to
your posts.

Actually coastal cities are fairly easy to find even when blacked out.
Read up on Hamburg etc. No need for your urban myth!

You obviously didn't know where Liverpool was. In a full moon they are
easy enough. At one point the whole of the Manchester Ship canal was spayed
with sawdust to prevent it shining back. German bomber coming in from the
east could follow the canal to Liverpool in a good moon.

Coming from anyone else I would consider this interesting, even
plausible. Coming from you, I think it's likely just more made-up
rubbish. Unless of course you can point me to some evidence. A book,
even a web address? But I don't suppose you can, eh?

(snip)

By your name you are Irish or of Irish decent. And yes the Irish did light
up Dublin with extra lights. Don't like that do you?

My grandfather was indeed Irish. I assure you my preference for truth
over bull**** is not one based on Irish nationalism but rather a
fundamental belief that true things are better than false ones. Sorry
you apparently don't share this preference.

As I said, put up or shut up.

John

Old January 25th 04, 12:45 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:54:24 +0000, Presidente Alcazar
wrote:

In a country with just 3 merchant ships to keep it supplied thats not
surprising.

They didn't have 3 ocean-going ships until Lemass got going in 1942.

Even at that, they were little more than hulks.

Meanwhile, and afterwards, all Irisih imports crossed the German Uboat
blockade in British ships or ships in British-controlled convoys.

And at the very bottom of the UK priority list understandably.

I'm sure the British were terribly annoyed that Ireland remained
neutral during WWII.

Handing back the treaty ports in 1938 was a gross act of stupidity.

It just proved, once again, that appeasement didn't work. For all de
Valera's encouraging noises about how dealing with such "injustices"
would improve relations, the British lost in the exchange and gained
nothing in return.

A ludicrous decision which cost the lives of thousands both directly and
indirectly.

greg

Old January 25th 04, 03:16 PM
Spiv

"Spiv" wrote in message

Now last time I checked Dublin was a LONG way from Liverpool
so pray tell how having its lights could aid the Luftwaffe target

that
city
?

It is due west of Liverpool. See Dublin to the west
then steer due east and you hit it.

Or Holyhead, Colwyn Bay, Birkenhead etc.

Birkenhead is opposite Liverpool, then they see the large cathedral tower
and then the convoy docks are beneath. Birkenhead is part of the Mersey
dock complex and was also heavily bombed.

Fact is Luftwaffe bases were in Norway and France, they werent
about to fly across the entire width of England, cross the Irish Sea
and then come back again. Its just silly.

You obviously don't know. German bases were well into France and they flew
up the Irish Sea to get Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow. The Norwegian based
planes would go across the North Sea.

---

Old January 25th 04, 03:36 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Spiv" wrote in message

Birkenhead is opposite Liverpool, then they see the large cathedral tower
and then the convoy docks are beneath. Birkenhead is part of the Mersey
dock complex and was also heavily bombed.

If they can see those things then the lights of Dublin are
indeed irrelevant, note while the Anglican cathedral was
started in 1904 it wasnt completed intil 1960 so I suspect the
highly visible waterfront was rather more of a clue at night.

Fact is Luftwaffe bases were in Norway and France, they werent
about to fly across the entire width of England, cross the Irish Sea
and then come back again. Its just silly.

You obviously don't know. German bases were well into France and they

flew
up the Irish Sea to get Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow.

Indeed which meant turning right and following the coast of Walese
not turning left to Ireland.

The Norwegian based
planes would go across the North Sea.

A route that hardly goes via Dublin