NASA Shuttle pics

Old August 12th 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Phil Hoare

Default NASA Shuttle pics

Can anybody out there in PC Land please tell me how to unencrypt the NASA
pics so I can also enjoy them?

Phil

Old August 12th 08, 01:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ABLE_1[_2_]

Can anybody out there in PC Land please tell me how to unencrypt the NASA
pics so I can also enjoy them?

Phil

All I can offer is caution. I thought I would follow the masses and give it
a try. I did a Google on WINrar and then picked this site
http://gperavguslive.info/.

I agree my stupid error. Ended up with a virus - trogon - or what ever.
Spent 9 hours of my present life getting rid of the POS.

Life and computer is back to normal again and doubt I will ever consider
dealing with RAR or PAR files ever again. I really don't care how good they
are reported to be.

So what ever you decide for your fate be aware you have been warned of the
Dark Side.

Good luck.

Les

Old August 12th 08, 03:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman Mitchell Holman is offline
Banned

"ABLE_1" wrote in
:

Can anybody out there in PC Land please tell me how to unencrypt the
NASA pics so I can also enjoy them?

Phil

All I can offer is caution. I thought I would follow the masses and
give it a try. I did a Google on WINrar and then picked this site
http://gperavguslive.info/.

I agree my stupid error. Ended up with a virus - trogon - or what ever.
Spent 9 hours of my present life getting rid of the POS.

Life and computer is back to normal again and doubt I will ever consider
dealing with RAR or PAR files ever again. I really don't care how good
they are reported to be.

So what ever you decide for your fate be aware you have been warned of
the Dark Side.

Good luck.

Personally I have never seen a reason to stray from jpegs.
They don't carry viruses, they are read by every image viewer
known to man, they can be resized and enhanced by even more,
and they will be the universal standard for years to come.

IMHO, that is............

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	look-at-those-gas-prices.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	27791

Old August 12th 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

[...]

Mitchell, as one of your biggest fans, it bothers me to have to say this...
but you are yelling "Fire" in the crowded theatre. Shame on you!!

You and the other guy (who "says" he got the virus) are not helping matters
at all, in fact, what you have said in haste regarding RAR is counter-
productive at the very least. What few little rabbits who might have taken
a chance to learn how to work with RARs/PARs have been frightened off, for
no telling how long.

By phrasing your statements as you did, both of you scared the ignorant
away from using an improved way of sending/receiving large amounts of
information over the net.

WinRar was not the reason he got a bug... he got it from a site preying on
the unlearned and unguarded, who wanted to learn. WinRAR was the bait.
The same could happen if someone was searching for information on how to
convert .BMP files to .JPG.

WinRAR had nothing to do with getting a bug, only his ****-poor choice of
sites from which to learn. Lesson learned. Do not to go to some brand X
site for information (or at least keep you prophylactic fresh). There are
plenty of reputable places (e.g. C-Net, PC World) to learn something about
all things digital.

Just 'cause Google places a site in the first few entries, doesn't mean
it's a nice place. Google doesn't give a **** about your virus
protection... but they do care about incoming dollars.

You know yourself how ****y this group can be, Mitchell. Now, for more
years to come, they will all blame the evils of WinRAR for the downfall of
Roman Empire, the Tunguska blast and the reason their pricks don't stay
hard. JeebusGawd, now there is *another* wicked-evil that goes bump in the
night (along with the mere mention of that boogie-man, YEnc).

You also know about the howls of anguish from this lot if a picture does
not match their standards. (Of course those standards are subject to change
at their whim or the day of the week)

These HiRez Shuttle pics would have them screaming bloody murder if they
came over the wire as a JPG. Just imagine the audacity of having to make
one of these guys join a multi-part picture. Better yet, if you could get
such a photo across the wire in one part... then they'd be bitching that
"it takes too long" or "it's too big"

Damned if you do...

Rather than staying perched on this soap box, I'll close by pointing out
that this group, as a whole, would be a perfect comparison to the current
crisis in our public education system.

The ones who learn and are willing to do so, must continually slow down to
the speed of those unwilling or incapable of learning. Rather than having
the slow ones work harder and learn more, we continue to dumb down the
group to the lowest denominator. The real ****er are the calls for a
burning at the stake when anyone shows a little imagination, change or
initiative.

ABPA-holes.
Old August 12th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Phil Hoare

"Lee" wrote in message
. 89...
Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

[...]

I never thought that my simple request could generate such responses.
To all the nerdy nerdy git farts out there who are obviously very, very
computer literate
I am a simple PC user who wants to enjoy looking at and collecting plane
pics etc.If those of
you who consider that helping others is "dumbing" down to the lowest common
denomitor
then I pity your insolence and wish I was as smart.

So if there is anyone who can assist without insulting me and others I would
be grateful to hear from you.

Phil

Old August 12th 08, 11:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Phil Hoare

"Phil Hoare" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
. 89...
Mitchell Holman wrote in
:

[...]

And yes I cannot spell "denominator" either!!

Old August 13th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ABLE_1[_2_]

FWIW, I was not saying that WINrar was the problem with me getting a the
?Virus?. I was saying that for those that need, want to, or thinking about
doing a DL need to be cautious. I posted the site that hit me so that
others could avoid the same fate. I thought I was doing a service to
others. The fact that I got burned and the aftermath of wasted time told me
that the challenge was not worth my time anymore. So I will not take that
path again. Lesson learned.

The most frustrating thing is that my "Virus Protection" was and is up to
date. I even ran a scan after it happened and it came up that my system was
clean????? Ended up re-loading a full system C:\ backup and all was better.

I have learned thru life that once a problem is corrected it is sometimes
not worth the effort to try to figure out why it happened in the first
place. It is far better to: 1) don't go there again 2) forget about it.

I have used the "Combined and Decode" function of OE for large files that it
will work on and it is not a problem.

I do enjoy the aviation pictures for viewing only (not collecting) and yes I
am a lurker and have not contributed. I think that I am allowed to do that.
Kill file me as you see fit, it is ok. Life goes on.

Thanks to all for the comments of whatever. Sorry, I may have ruffed any
feathers.

I will go back to lurking now so have a nice day.

Les

Old August 13th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"ABLE_1" wrote

The most frustrating thing is that my "Virus Protection" was and is up to
date. I even ran a scan after it happened and it came up that my system
was clean????? Ended up re-loading a full system C:\ backup and all was
better.

A friend got a virus, and it was a smart one.

He could not revert to an earlier time, to get rid of it. He could restore
the system only to the day he got the virus. He has not cleaned his system,
using all the online resources he could find.

I have a feeling that only a re-format is going to do the job, but he has
software that he will not be able to get again, after a format.

Frustrating; some people have nothing better to do than to sit around and
write nasty virus code.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 13th 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Joseph Testagrose

JS3 is a ****ing ****head, he floods the newsgroup with hundreds of
posts in complete disregard of the wishes of the members of the
newsgroup. He could post jpg's 10 day and have compassion for the
older members of the newsgroup who don't have the time to learn new
ways of opening photos in formats they have no idea of what they are.
Joe.
On 12 Aug 2008 15:58:05 GMT, Lee
wrote:

Mitchell Holman wrote in