6'7" and looking for a glider

Old January 10th 20, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

I've been reading tall pilot threads here from a few years back, and I wanted to start a new thread. I'm 6'7" 230 lbs with a bit of a taller torso and I'm on the lookout for a glider. I've noticed that legroom isn't usually an issue, but with many gliders, closing the canopy is a problem.

I've been doing my training in a Blanik L-23 and I can fit OK, not the best, but no issues with the training. I've tried to fit in the ASK-21, no way. I'm wondering if I can fit in the G103 so I can go to a commercial operation and finish my rating.

So far, I fit in the following:

L-33 Solo - very comfortably I might add. I've been doing my solo work in one.
PW-5 - very comfortable. Haven't flown one yet.

Ideally, I'd like to do cross country and earn badges. I was talked out of these two because they're not the best performers for cross country and I received what seems to be a solid advice to keep looking for something I'd be happier with longer term, so here we go.

Jantar Std 3 seems like a good fit. Can't find many for sale.
LS-3A is a good fit, but would likely need a very thin parachute. I would presume LS-4 is a good fit as well.
Mosquito was a little tight.
Standard Cirrus - could not close the canopy with all the cushions out too. That was a bummer.
DG-300 and 500 seemed like a good fit.
PIK-20 - could not close the canopy.
G102 - could not close the canopy.
Discus - could not close the canopy.

If I hit the lottery, I'd be all over an Arcus M - fantastic fit, beautiful ship and a decimal place out of my price range. Ideally, I'm looking for something in the 15-25k range. Anyone selling?
Old January 10th 20, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 10:46:02 PM UTC-5, Rob wrote:
[...]

Rob - did you consider the 18m Cirrus? We had a young guy in our club, who was over 2m tall and he did fly the open Cirrus with the seat all the way back while wearing a thin parachute.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 10th 20, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

Hi Uli, I sat in the Standard Cirrus and we couldn’t close the canopy. Reading various posts here, I’m getting some conflicting information about the fit in the Open Cirrus. I thought the difference was only 15m vs. 18m but the cockpit staying the same. Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Rob
Old January 10th 20, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rob,

We really need to try you in the Std Cirrus again as I am 6'2 and fit fine with a chute and the seat back out... Did you try it without the seat back?

Tony

Old January 10th 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 11:19:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Rob,

We really need to try you in the Std Cirrus again as I am 6'2 and fit fine with a chute and the seat back out... Did you try it without the seat back?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I tried Jacques' ship, and I could get in OK legroom wise, but we couldn't close the canopy. I'm happy to try it again.

Rob
Old January 10th 20, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The LS-4 should fit you. I have “tried on” several gliders and the LS-4 is by far the most comfortable and largest cockpit I’ve tried. I’m 6’3”, 200lbs and tall in the torso.
John U.
Old January 10th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Rob
If you can fit in a LS3a that would be a nice aircraft for you.
Have yu tried to fit in a ASW 20? Thats another good performer in your price range. Both those planes are nice to fly.
You may have to increase your budget to 30-35k for a nice on thou, maybe less if your not picky.
Good luck
Get a reasonably nice trailer.
A dog of a trailer is a major PITA
Old January 10th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And... since Bob K. hasn't chimed in with his one-size-fits-all answer, I 'll go for it.

Sawzall.

Old January 10th 20, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Genesis?
Old January 10th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

I think I might have tried ASW-20 and couldn't close the canopy - not 100% sure. I haven't tried or seen a Genesis, though the name keeps popping up, and I'd love to check one out. I did fit in LS3A and I like them, but aren't they the ones with really heavy wings so when you're rigging one, everyone scatters? Or am I thinking LS3?