PDA GPS software Which one??

Old November 14th 05, 06:28 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default PDA GPS software Which one??

I thought about using my Dell X50v in this way ( I already have a GPS
for it). However, I decided that there was no way I would ever be able
to use the touch screen in real IFR because its just too hard when
you're bouncing around. I bought a 296 instead. Has anyone been able to
master using a touch screen PDA in turb?

-Robert

Old November 14th 05, 07:03 AM
MC

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I thought about using my Dell X50v in this way ( I already have a GPS
for it). However, I decided that there was no way I would ever be able
to use the touch screen in real IFR because its just too hard when
you're bouncing around. I bought a 296 instead. Has anyone been able to
master using a touch screen PDA in turb?

Depends on how well the user-interface is designed.

PocketFMS mostly uses the physical buttons to navigate through
the 'pages' of info, but if you need to do data-entry (eg to
calculate the actual wind) then a large onscreen
context-dependant keypad appears.
It works ok for me in bouncy conditions and I haven't had
to use the stylus in-flight yet.
Old November 14th 05, 10:02 PM
Robert M. Gary

I've downloaded PocketFMS for my PC (haven't figure out yet how to get
it on my PDA). To be honest, I brought it up and tried to play with it
but found, without actually reading the manuals, I wasn't able to get
it to do anything.

Old November 14th 05, 11:24 PM
MC

Robert M. Gary wrote:

I've downloaded PocketFMS for my PC (haven't figure out yet how to get
it on my PDA). To be honest, I brought it up and tried to play with it
but found, without actually reading the manuals, I wasn't able to get
it to do anything.

Have you actually loaded the FIRs for where you are ?
Have you set your current lat/lon (or tried to connect a GPS) ?

PocketFMS does flight-plans, airspace info and a heap of other
stuff and even a cursory reading of the help-file will show
you what features are available and how to use them.
Old November 15th 05, 12:21 AM
Robert M. Gary

I"m sure the help file will help, I just haven't gotten there yet. I
set the FIR but didn't recognize the area because it didn't show me
airport names (just airspace). Again, I'm sure if I sit down with the
documentation I can get it to work. I use Flightsoft now for planning
and it works a bit more out-of-the-box, but may or may not be better.

-Robert

Old November 15th 05, 01:18 AM

On 14 Nov 2005 15:21:19 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I"m sure the help file will help, I just haven't gotten there yet. I
set the FIR but didn't recognize the area because it didn't show me
airport names (just airspace). Again, I'm sure if I sit down with the
documentation I can get it to work. I use Flightsoft now for planning
and it works a bit more out-of-the-box, but may or may not be better.

-Robert

You really need to read the help file!

If you've set the FIR's have you downloaded the data from the
internet? i.e. Map (at each zoom level unless you register), Nav,
Elevation? That's how it's updated!

As for the PDA simply 'synchronise CE device' from the icon, via the
PDA cradle using Active Sync.

This prog has so many options you can't expect it to just work without
reading the basic help info. Lots of icons on the top & side of the
screen to select/deselect options.

The first thing to do is right click the mouse and 'search' for your
nearest airfield then click 'Plane Pos'. That puts the plane at the
centre of the screen in your area. If you don't the plane position
could well be in the sea or another FIR anywhere in the world.

You also need to check properties and ensure you set the 'Limit
PocketPC Memory storage to' xxx MB