TBO and Overhaul Costs

Old May 30th 05, 02:33 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default TBO and Overhaul Costs

Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
Cessna 421C.

-Sami
N2057M

P.S. I thought I already posted this message, but it did not seem to
show up. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
Old May 30th 05, 02:40 PM
A. Smith

www.ramaircraft.com

RAM is a company that is dedicated to keeping the Twin Cessna line flying.
They did a lot of development early on (with Jack Riley Jr.) and are
commited to refining the engines to get the most performance and life out of
each engine as possible.

Old May 30th 05, 02:54 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 30 May 2005 08:33:15 -0500, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

Is there a website I can go to find out the TBO and overhaul costs of
any given engine? Right now, I am curious bout the GTSIO-520-L on a
Cessna 421C.

factoryengines.com

probably about $50k each to rebuild. There's a reason the high-end
twins are priced so lightly...
Old May 30th 05, 02:59 PM
Michelle P

Sami,
Do you get Aviation Consumer? They do aircraft reviews. They also have
an annual buying guide.
http://www.aviationconsumer.com/books/
Michelle

Old May 30th 05, 04:21 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Michelle, Yes, I do...and the aurcraft reviews are really excellent.
They do not typically, though, list TBOs and engine overhaul costs. I
will check out that annual buying guide...I was not aware of that part.
Thanks.

By the way, planequest.com list operating costs for various aircraft.
Part of that is the "Hourly Engine reserve" which is presumably the
cost-to-overhaul / TBO.

-Sami

Old May 30th 05, 04:31 PM
Blanche

Overhaul and TBO are really related to 1) the shop doing the
overhaul and 2) how you're using the engine.

Altho Lycoming *strongly* suggests TBO of 2000 hours and/or 12
years, whichever comes first for an O360 (for example), that's
only written in stone for Part 135 & 121. Personal use of the
aircraft (Part 91) is not mandated by TBO.

Calling around for an overhaul on the O360 I got prices from
8K-15K.

Old May 30th 05, 04:52 PM
Michelle P

Sami,
Have you checked with your insurance company about your proposed
upgrade? Going from an Arrow to a 421 is a big jump. They may have
restrictions.
Michelle

Old May 30th 05, 05:40 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Michelle,

Yes, I checked. After they stopped laughing, they gave me an outrageous
quote. My plan is to get my multiengine rating within the next month
and build some multiengine time before my purchase. I know this is not
an easy path.

-Sami

Old May 30th 05, 06:02 PM
Rip

Continental has all of the tech specs (including TBO)for their engines
at their web sire
www.tcmlink.com

Rip