What's a "Cloverleaf" Maneuver?

Old August 24th 03, 03:56 AM
Tex Houston

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
PT-18, as was the PT-17, was a Lloyd Stearman designed, Boeing aircraft.

Tex

Can you tell us any more about it, Tex? Did it look more or less like
a PT-17, or was it an entirely new design?

vince norris

The only difference between the PT-13, PT-17 and PT-18 was the engines.
Lycoming, Continental, and Jacobs (in order).

See http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...4515/stear.htm .

Tex (who helps put on the Stearman Fly-in every year in Saint Francis,
Kansas.)

Old August 25th 03, 09:24 AM
Billy Beck

Ed Rasimus wrote:

wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

[snipped for brevity]

We'd wind up in a cranking, turning, one-circle fight and Dillon's
crop-duster experience would have him pulling lead into me until he'd
stall, then with deft application of top rudder he'd manage to keep
the nose up for a second longer than I could. I'd drop out of the
stall and he'd ease off to take a bit of lag spacing then pull back
into his lead. Nibble, nibble, nibble and eventually he'd have a good
extended gun solution.

A former Navy F-4 pilot, fellow trike pilot and good friend emailed
me this story that is very similiar (e.g: application of "top rudder")
that you describe above Ed:

Subject: Marseille ..' A Dead Man Walking ' .. But, Perhaps The ' Best
Dog Fight' Pilot

--remainder of a great story snipped for brevity--

That's beautiful....just f***ing beautiful. It captures the essence
perfectly. Skill, art, terror, dedication. Ahhh, if I could write like
that....

"The Korat controller acknowledged my emergency fuel state, and
asked if we would like to be broken up for individual straight-in
approaches, the most economical way to get on the ground. I said, no
thank you, we were going to fly a four-ship down initial. The
controller quietly acknowledged my choice and probably began preparing
his defense for the court-martial that would ask him why he let two
emergency-fuel jets fly an overhead pattern."

(Some Guy Who Wrote A Book, pp. 242-243)

I don't know what you're talking about, Ed. Know what? The
grass ain't always greener elsewhere, man. I think you staked out a
pretty fair patch for yourself, on your own. I've got notes all over
it: the account of the MiG-17 attack on p. 190 is another notable
example.

I'm only a satisfied consumer, but I'm tellin' ya: you do OK.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php