Long-weekend noise (trolls and real life)

Old June 1st 05, 01:41 AM
Icebound

Default Long-weekend noise (trolls and real life)

Notwithstanding the short shrift given to our "Memorial Weekend ruined"
friend....

.... the school with which I fly prohibits circuits on long weekends.

I am not exactly sure whether that is the School policy or the *Airport*
policy..... but in any case, it appears that someone considered
long-weekend-noise-abatement a serious-enough issue as to have instituted
this policy.

Old June 1st 05, 06:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"Icebound" wrote in message
... the school with which I fly prohibits circuits on long weekends.

I am not exactly sure whether that is the School policy or the *Airport*
policy..... but in any case, it appears that someone considered
long-weekend-noise-abatement a serious-enough issue as to have instituted
this policy.

That makes no sense.

Long weekends are when the greatest number of people have gone somewhere
else. If anything, it's the short weekends when the neighbors are around to
be annoyed.

Similarly, the number of training flights during a long weekend would likely
be lower than on regular weekends.

I sure would love to hear the straight dope on the history of that policy.
It makes no sense.

Pete

Old June 1st 05, 09:29 PM
Icebound

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Icebound" wrote in message
... the school with which I fly prohibits circuits on long weekends.

I am not exactly sure whether that is the School policy or the *Airport*
policy..... but in any case, it appears that someone considered
long-weekend-noise-abatement a serious-enough issue as to have instituted
this policy.

That makes no sense.

Long weekends are when the greatest number of people have gone somewhere
else. If anything, it's the short weekends when the neighbors are around
to be annoyed.

It is possible that long weekends are more likely to have the outdoor Sunday
Afternoon family get-togethers with the out-of-towner in-laws dropping in.
All-day Pool-parties that stretch into the late hours.

Short weekends people are around, but its just the kids screaming in the
pool while Mom is gardening and Dad is in the garage. People are more
likely "working" at something and they won't notice the noise when they are
focussing. Or maybe they just complain less... by the time they think of
calling, its Monday morning and they have to go to work and forget about it.

Above is just my speculation.

Similarly, the number of training flights during a long weekend would
likely be lower than on regular weekends.

Could be. Although this school's twenty-odd training aircraft seem to be
booked pretty solid no matter what day it is.

I sure would love to hear the straight dope on the history of that policy.
It makes no sense.

I will see if I can find out.

Old June 2nd 05, 01:21 AM
Peter Duniho

"Icebound" wrote in message
Could be. Although this school's twenty-odd training aircraft seem to be
booked pretty solid no matter what day it is.

Has anyone said specifically that the policy is for noise abatement?

One possibility is that people like to travel somewhere, and so banning
circuits might be a way to encourage the airplanes to be left available for
those who want to fly somewhere.

Granted, it wouldn't be a perfect solution to that problem either, but it
would at least be a reasonably logical, partial solution. Of course, if the
policy explicitly states that it's for noise abatement, then obviously
Theory #2 isn't holding much water.

I sure would love to hear the straight dope on the history of that
policy. It makes no sense.

I will see if I can find out.

At least one curious mind is looking forward to what you find. Thanks...

Pete

Old June 3rd 05, 06:43 PM
Icebound

"Icebound" wrote in message

I sure would love to hear the straight dope on the history of that
policy. It makes no sense.

I will see if I can find out.

At least one curious mind is looking forward to what you find. Thanks...

The dispatchers say it was strictly a noise abatement policy.

They claim way more noise-related calls on long weekends vs regular weekends
and the no-circuits policy helped alleviate that somewhat. The dispatchers'
theory was same as my earlier speculation: way more
"party-barbecue-get-togethers" on long weekends vs regular weekends.

Their basic-training fleet is not used for extended rentals much. Its a lot
more lucrative to have the planes available flying students. Most of their
extended rentals are done in newer airplanes that might just be used for
advanced ratings training.

Old June 3rd 05, 06:50 PM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

Long weekends are when the greatest number of people have gone somewhere
else.

Well, they have to go *somewhere*. Maybe they all wind up near Icebound's airport?

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 3rd 05, 07:29 PM
Peter Duniho

"Icebound" wrote in message
The dispatchers say it was strictly a noise abatement policy.

They claim way more noise-related calls on long weekends vs regular
weekends and the no-circuits policy helped alleviate that somewhat.

Interesting. Thanks for checking into it.

Not how I'd probably handle the issue, but then I'm not running an airport,
and there's nothing to suggest I'd be any good at it.