SOLO flight rules

Old January 13th 04, 05:45 AM
Rhodesst

Geee, Let me think? Was Igor just a cartoon character in a kids movie?
Years ago............

Maybe the helicopter was invented by a PILOT!!!
Cam

I remember reading somewhere that Igor Sikorsky (who was the chief designer
"and" test pilot of his aircraft) once stated that all aircraft designers
should be required to test fly their own designs. It's unfair to expect
someone else to take that risk. That way, the good ones learn and improve
their designs and the bad ones automatically eliminate themselves from the
process "before" they get the chance to put anyone elses life in danger.

Sounded pretty good to me at the time! :-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Old January 13th 04, 05:51 AM
Bob

Dennis,
Do you know that a two bladed rotor system HAS to tilt? Do you know why?

I'll grade your answer.
Bob V.

Old January 13th 04, 10:10 AM
Cam

Cheers Steve, I've read that somewhere myself, its a shame it dosen't
apply to life in general for some people...

Cam.

Old January 13th 04, 10:54 AM
helicopterandy

"Bob" wrote in message .. .
Dennis,
Do you know that a two bladed rotor system HAS to tilt? Do you know why?

I'll grade your answer.
Bob V.

Bob,
Don't bother trying to explain.
Old January 13th 04, 12:35 PM

Bob,

I don't think you understood my explanation. Maybe I should have used
the word "teeter" instead of "tilt". A standard helicopter hub, which
includes most of them, only tilts or pivots on one axis. A scorpion
hub teeters on two axis.

What this means is that if you walk up to a bell or a robinson and
disconnect the linkages from the swash plate to the hub and allow it
to do its own thing, the r22 will only be able to tilt up and down in
the direction of the blades. The scorpion can flop around in all
directions including flopping to the side as well as in the direction
of the blades.

What I said was that the single axis helicopters create the illusion
of floping on two axis because they continually rock as they go around
in the circle. So if you look at a standard helicopter in flight from
the front and the helicopter is moving to the side, the disk plane
tilts to the side whereas the hub really doesn't.

I hope this clears up the differences between a regular hub design and
the scorpion.

Dennis H.

"Bob" wrote:

Dennis,
Do you know that a two bladed rotor system HAS to tilt? Do you know why?

I'll grade your answer.
Bob V.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old January 13th 04, 12:42 PM

Andy,

I have some serious concerns about you. First off, I fly real
helicopters and not fake ones. The scorpion may not be an apache
longbow, but it IS a real helicopter. As far as parts on ebay, I see
them there all the time. I just passed up on a Bell hub for $500.
That is what I call cheap. Every now and then you see good deals on
ebay. Last week I saw a good helicopter headset for $10. You should
go there sometime and look. A few months ago, I saw a flying, but
timed out, R22 that didn't sell with a minimum bid of $25K. Oh, I
forgot, you don't consider the R-22 to be a real helicopter either.

Dennis H.

(helicopterandy) wrote:

Bob,
This guy Dennis is obviously a clown trying to cause concern among
real aircraft owners and pilots. His making reference to "a cheap one
on eBay" is a dead giveaway. He's just looking for a response. Typical
to these type of forums.

Dennis,
Sincerely,
Andy

Old January 14th 04, 01:22 AM
Cam

Dennis , I don't think Andy would buy anything that didn't have lots of
'bright' paint and cost more than the neighbors one!

Old January 14th 04, 04:59 AM
Bob

Dennis...

$500? That is what I'd call cheap too. Particularly if the time remaining
to overhaul is adequate, the service life remaining of life limited parts is
adequate, the hub is accompanied by a complete and authentic historical
record documenting all of the above, it is free of incidents or damage
requiring re-certification, and therefore also has a servicable (Yellow) tag
attached to it. That of course, would be signed off by an FAA certified and
authorized indvidual or entity qualified to make such a servicability
determination. By the way, I've got a couple of bridges for sale here in
N.Y.C. Are you interested?
Bob V.