Airline Pilot for a day?

Old June 2nd 05, 08:06 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Therefore, I hereby invite you both to attend our barbecue cookout party
at OSH '05, held on Wednesday after the airshow at our campsite in the
"North 40". This will be our third annual, and each one has grown a bit
more from the previous years. (See for pix.)

I'm guessing 30(?) this year ...especially if the weather is PERFECT like
last year.

BTW, what *is* our fallback plan (a.k.a. rain)?

1. Friar Tucks? Table for 30 please.

2. That (delicious!) pizza place with the stained glass airplane art? Forgot
the name. Owner seemed like a good guy. Table for 30 please.

3. Drink cold beer in the rain?

Montblack

Old June 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
Jay Honeck

I certainly wish you and everyone else on the newsgroup the very best of
luck at Oshkosh and I know all of you will enjoy your fellowship there.
I'm sorry that I won't be able to join in.
Best as always,
Dudley

What -- and miss the opportunity to rub shoulders with Bob Hoover, Chuck
Yeager, and the equally bright and witty Usenet gang?

:-)

Alright, who's going to step up to the plate here? Who's got an open seat
for Dudley?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 2nd 05, 08:35 PM
Ross Richardson

Michael Nouak wrote:

Just curious:

What were the graphics like? When I did my F70/F100 rating at CAE Amsterdam,
the graphics were sub-FS98.

It was a "night" flight and it was so real to me. I am not sure what
FS98 is unless it is that MicroSoft product. (You know, for me being a
pilot, I have never been interested in buying that, hmmm) This was my
first time is such a sophisticated machine. Upon take off the instructor
had another jet come right to me and I had to turn to avoid hitting it.
I made a visual approach and landing to O'hare, and a good one according
to the instructor. On the final roll out there was another plane that
took off right into me. This guy had a sense of humor.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Dudley Henriques

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote:

Therefore, I hereby invite you both to attend our barbecue cookout party
at OSH '05, held on Wednesday after the airshow at our campsite in the
"North 40".

Thank you Jay, for taking the time to post such a positive message, and
I'm
fairly certain you are probably right about Jim and I getting along with
Usenet out of the equation.
I certainly wish you and everyone else on the newsgroup the very best of
luck at Oshkosh and I know all of you will enjoy your fellowship there.
I'm sorry that I won't be able to join in.

That's too bad, Dudley, as I would love to have met you in
person. This will be my first trip to Oshkosh and I'll be
wandering around Wednesday after the airshow somewhere near
the North 40 with my wife and with absolutely nothing to do
(hint, hint) ....

Thank you TP, and I wish you and your wife a good time. I'm sure you will
both enjoy being there.

Dudley

Old June 2nd 05, 08:48 PM
Bob Moore

Don Hammer wrote
He went around the pattern that way at DFW and shot a perfect CAT II
approach, made a smooth landing, and stopped it dead center with the
reversers.
I said "Damn" " How many hours do have in the aircraft?". He said "
none, never been in an airplaine before cause I'm afraid to fly"

Yep! It's just a big video game.
I instructed in PanAm's B-707 simulators in Miami on and off for
several years. All you have to do is put the controls where the
computer wants them and it "flys" just like its on rails.
My "show-off" speciality was an engine-out ILS to a 0/0 touchdown
"hands-off". This after watching a student fight the machine for
2-3 approaches. :-)

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-720 B-727 L-188
PanAm (retired)
Old June 2nd 05, 09:05 PM
Montblack

("T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote)
That's too bad, Dudley, as I would love to have met you in
person. This will be my first trip to Oshkosh and I'll be
wandering around Wednesday after the airshow somewhere near
the North 40 with my wife and with absolutely nothing to do
(hint, hint) ....

Find Jay's plane. Check at the N40 info station for his row # (Piper
Dakota/Pathfinder N56993)

Hop on the (free) school bus - hop off the bus near Jay's row.

Look for much smoke and a wee bit of drinking.

Arrive after the airshow ...hungry, thirsty, and ready to sit and relax, or
stand and relax. (Bring folding chairs if you want them)

I bring fud, coolers and ice ...some beer, some diet pop, some water, and a
back-up grill. Jim in NC is bringing the MOAG and (maybe) a pig this year.
Jay is just hanging out at his site g. People can bring chips if they
want, and/or beer if they want. Wine sometimes shows up too. Or, just show
up.

Starting about 6:30pm - sit back and enjoy the "real airshow" with hot
grilled fud, cold drinks and friends.

Montblack

Old June 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
Don Hammer

My "show-off" speciality was an engine-out ILS to a 0/0 touchdown
"hands-off". This after watching a student fight the machine for
2-3 approaches. :-)

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-720 B-727 L-188
PanAm (retired)

In the 707 they used to humble us after a few V1 cuts that we ran into
the grass by setting up the airplane with takeoff trim and power set.
Without touching anything you cut #4 at V1. It would track a little
right without going off the runway and rotate at about Vr +5 and climb
out all by its self at V2 plus a little.

Some times we are our own worst enemy.
Old June 2nd 05, 10:51 PM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

I'm guessing 30(?) this year ...especially if the weather is PERFECT like
last year.

BTW, what *is* our fallback plan (a.k.a. rain)?

3. Drink cold beer in the rain?

I have a retired parachute. I think that a few poles could turn it into the
perfect fly-in rain fly! g
--
Jim in NC

Old June 2nd 05, 10:54 PM
Robert M. Gary

My 10 year old son got to help start an A320 the other day. We were
boarding and the pilot called us into the cockpit to talk to my son. We
talked shop for a bit and then asked my son if he wouldn't mind
starting the APU and getting the bleed air going (the ground crew were
disconnecting the air cart). He showed him the buttons to press and he
did it. After we took off the Captain got on the speaker and thanked my
son for helping get the plane started!!

-Robert

Old June 2nd 05, 11:07 PM
lardsoup

There is a program called ATOPS where you fly a 737 simulator down at
Continental's training center in Houston. I did it last year and it was a
BLAST!!! Really felt like you were flying. Google ATOPS for info.