vacation w/ Kids

Old June 3rd 05, 01:56 AM
BTIZ

there is also a horse ranch for some riding on Catalina.. and snorkeling
adventures..

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
My boys are seasoned Mooney travelers. This year I'm considering adding
a trip to either Victoria Island or Catalina Island. My boys are 9 and
10 so I'm not sure if either of these could actually be made
interesting. We've done so many trips, I'm having a harder time trying
new things. Last summer we went to Vancouver and the boys had a great
time canoeing and seeing the sites. Last March we went down to Mexico
again and got to pet baby grey whales. Last week we went to D.C. to see
the capitol. Would Victoria or Catalina Island offer anything
interesting to boys of this age?

-Robert

Old June 3rd 05, 02:05 AM
Mike Rapoport

Water clarity is whatever it is when you get there. It varies a lot with a
huge number of factors. The times that I have dived there it has been
pretty good. You can access the area from the shore. It is a kelp forest.

Mike
MU-2

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
That sounds interesting! Is the water really clear? Who would I contact
for more information? Do you have to pre-register? I would **LOVE** to
take the kids to do something like this. They are really into marine
life (they've visited numerous aquariums, etc) and they love to swim.
I've never actually been anywhere where the water was actually clean
enough to see stuff.

-Robert

Old June 3rd 05, 02:36 AM
Morgans

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

They are really into marine
life (they've visited numerous aquariums, etc) and they love to swim.
I've never actually been anywhere where the water was actually clean
enough to see stuff.

Go south, young man! There are tons of places in the southern regions, such
as the Mexican resorts, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Florida Keys, and
coastline, Bermuda. (not so south, but beautiful)

The list goes on, and the water is much warmer, with coral, everywhere.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 05, 05:31 AM
Carlos Villalpando

In article . com, rmg1
@my-deja.com says...
My boys are seasoned Mooney travelers. This year I'm considering adding
a trip to either Victoria Island or Catalina Island.

AVX, Catalina Island's runway has gotten bad enough with the potholes
and soft spots that our Club has banned it as a landing spot. The last
person who landed there came back with an airplane with a dinged prop
and looking as dirty as if it came off a dirt runway. Everybody is
waiting for the Conservatory to approve repairs to the runway.

--Carlos V.
Old June 3rd 05, 06:05 AM
tony roberts

Hi Robert

You did mean Vancouver Island didn't you?
Victoria is the capital, and seat of government, for BC.
I live in BC and visit Vancouver Island often - so I can give you some
firsthand knowledge.

Victoria is the seat of government (booooring) and the whalewatch
capital (exciting - especially from a rented inflateable) of Canada.

It has a fabulous museum, if you want a historical experience it has
thee Empress Hotel - terribly English old boy
And it has an undersea aquarium.
It also has the largest totom pole in the word (Alert Bay), some
incredible scenery, fabulous ferry tours of the gulf islands - the West
Coast Trail is in the top ten hikes on the planet, Tofino - which has a
runway - is my favourite place in Canada - spectacular west coast -
think fishing, whale watching, hiking, sunbathing, stormwatching, etc.
etc.

If you want lots of specifics & advice, please email me privately and
I'll help you plan your itinerary.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old June 3rd 05, 07:27 AM
Montblack

("Brad Zeigler" wrote)
Geez, when I was that age I was excited to set the tent up in the back
yard.

Tent? We put an old canvas tarp over the picnic table (and) benches. The
benches gave your 'fort' that bump-out feel. g

And you hoped like heck the flashlight wouldn't conk out before you did.

Montblack
"Sleeping out," listening to the distant trains all night - good times.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:05 AM
Flyingmonk

Montblack wrote:

Tent? We put an old canvas tarp over the picnic table (and) benches.
The
benches gave your 'fort' that bump-out feel. g

You had tarp? I, we, had to steal trash bags from the local Mickey Ds
(by going into the bathrooms, lifted the bag out of the trashcans and
getting unused bags that they stored below the used bag).

We'd slit them open, spread them out, taped them together strung them
up and Voila' We had a tent. We even gathered up enough bottles to
return and bought hotdogs to roast on the fire we built in the nearby
bird sanctuary.

Boy! That reminds me, we stumbled on five Ganja trees one summer in the
Sanctuary. We were only about ten years old and didn't even smoked
cigarettes yet.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone