MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

Old May 12th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's something odd around
the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The MEAs around the
VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE, which is 14000'.

I sent a note to Jepp querying this. They claim it's correct, based
on navaid reception. I still find this hard to swallow. 14,000???
C'mon. And if so, why isn't there a MOCA for the segment? There's
a 6000 MEA / 3900T for the next segment.

Anyone have a NOAA chart? Does it have the same MEA? Anyone know
the MVA for the area? Anyone have a topo/sectional map of the area
to explain the mysterious navaid reception issue?

Morris (who cannot be the first person to have noticed this)
Old May 12th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Journeyman wrote:
I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's something odd around
the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The MEAs around the
VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE, which is 14000'.

I sent a note to Jepp querying this. They claim it's correct, based
on navaid reception. I still find this hard to swallow. 14,000???
C'mon. And if so, why isn't there a MOCA for the segment? There's
a 6000 MEA / 3900T for the next segment.

Anyone have a NOAA chart? Does it have the same MEA? Anyone know
the MVA for the area? Anyone have a topo/sectional map of the area
to explain the mysterious navaid reception issue?

Morris (who cannot be the first person to have noticed this)

Same on the NOAA chart. Knowing the terrain I would agree it has to be a
mistake.
Old May 12th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I've noticed it, and I've flown that segment way below 14K (albeit /G)
so I've no idea what's going on. There is a ridge that might block
reception on the south edge of the airway, so perhaps that's the issue
given how close the VOR is to start of the ridge...

Old May 12th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Similarly, there's one from Madison, Wisconsin to Chicago with something
like a 10,000 MEA. The best I can tell is that there's one hill in the
flats of Wisconsin that limits the signal, but it's not obvious.

Old May 12th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The sectional chart may help, but you can find the law that
establishes an airway, each one has a public statement. In
that discussion you will find many answers.
If you want to see real odd altitudes, look around Key West
for the safe quadrangle altitude, it is about 14,000 last
time I looked. Why? Because they sometimes have a tethered
balloon and radar up looking at the drug smugglers.

. com...

Old May 13th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article f989g.18838$ZW3.12367@dukeread04,
says...

Why? Because they sometimes have a tethered
balloon and radar up looking at the drug smugglers.

Yes, but that's different from reception issues.
I think Mike's answer is probably closer - because the VOR is close to
the ridge, that gives rise to some seemingly wierd MEA's, without
anything untoward inthe MOCA. Puts a kink in your plans though, if you
weren't planning (or cannot do) 14000.

GF

Old May 13th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Greg Farris wrote:

In article f989g.18838$ZW3.12367@dukeread04,
says...

Why? Because they sometimes have a tethered
balloon and radar up looking at the drug smugglers.

Yes, but that's different from reception issues.
I think Mike's answer is probably closer - because the VOR is close to
the ridge, that gives rise to some seemingly wierd MEA's, without
anything untoward inthe MOCA. Puts a kink in your plans though, if you
weren't planning (or cannot do) 14000.

GF

Take a look at some of the airways in western CT based on the LGA VOR. The
MEA's make no sense based on terrain alone. I'm told the problem is that
the VOR is nestled in among the hangars and other buildings and the signal
suffers.
Old May 13th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Journeyman wrote:
I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's something odd around
the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The MEAs around the
VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE, which is 14000'.

/snip/

You wanna see something really wild? Go to
http://idisk.mac.com/scottdb-Public
and look at the "HiMEA" file. Right in the middle, the transitional MEA
for V462 is listed as 88000 between FAGIN and NONDA. This obviously
should be 8800, but I don't think it is just a typo on Jepp's part.
When our company's flight planning software generates a low altitude
route through this area, it actually bypasses that one segment, since
our planes can't climb that high. Makes me think that the data is bad
from the FAA.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 13th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Journeyman wrote:

I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's something odd around
the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The MEAs around the
VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE, which is 14000'.

I sent a note to Jepp querying this. They claim it's correct, based
on navaid reception. I still find this hard to swallow. 14,000???
C'mon. And if so, why isn't there a MOCA for the segment? There's
a 6000 MEA / 3900T for the next segment.

Anyone have a NOAA chart? Does it have the same MEA? Anyone know
the MVA for the area? Anyone have a topo/sectional map of the area
to explain the mysterious navaid reception issue?

Morris (who cannot be the first person to have noticed this)

Those in the NE are because of VOR stations that are shooting craps and
fail flight inspection below those very high altitudes.
Old May 13th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Journeyman wrote:
I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's something odd around
the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The MEAs around the
VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE, which is 14000'.

I sent a note to Jepp querying this. They claim it's correct, based
on navaid reception. I still find this hard to swallow. 14,000???
C'mon. And if so, why isn't there a MOCA for the segment? There's
a 6000 MEA / 3900T for the next segment.

Anyone have a NOAA chart? Does it have the same MEA? Anyone know
the MVA for the area? Anyone have a topo/sectional map of the area
to explain the mysterious navaid reception issue?

Morris (who cannot be the first person to have noticed this)

I don't have a chart nearby, so I don't know if the entire route is
within 40 miles of the facility. If it's more than 40 miles, then the
Standard Service Volume for the VOR is limited, and would need flight
check approval of an "Extended Service Volume". The Extended Service
Volume is a two fold process; it needs approval from the frequency
management office to ensure that there is no radio frequency
interference from other facilities or communications equipment that
might give a bend or interference to the signal, and the frequency
manager either approves the altitudes and distances requested, or
restricts them, or disapproves any extensions. Once that process is
complete, the flight inspection aircraft needs to verify a good signal,
but he will only approve what the frequency manager has offered.
Once that process is done, the MEA is based on the obstacle clearance or
approved service volume, whichever is higher.

If the next fix is within 40 miles of the facility, then the flight
inspection aircraft may have noticed a poor signal and raised the MEA to
an altitude where a safe signal is ensured.

John