Plastic planes are fast but landing speed too high

Old June 18th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

Default Plastic planes are fast but landing speed too high

I received some marketing brouchures from one of the best
selling "composite plane" on the market, with an invitation
to take a ride. Well, I was tempted until I found out how high
the Vso is. The plane goes in on final at 80 kts.

Which means, 80 kias is the speed you use for emergency
landing.

No wonder pictures after pictures of the wreckages of such
plane look so horrifying. Oh,, it is all pilot errors, since
the computers onboard have added such unprecendented
situation awareness, so that even incompetent pilots can
fly at ease.

The testmoney's printed in the brouchure are amazing. And they
reflect the intelligence of the owners, as well as the perceived
intelligence of the future buyers by the sales organization.
[This is a negative statement. So please read the previous
statement again, if you didn't get it.]

Can anyone share the thoughts on why the 80 kias speed for
emergency landing is not bothersome ? [The chut is for the wife,
now lets hear the reasons for the husband pilot.]

Of course, when you are not good enough to build such a thing,
you tell buyers, "you don't need it".

Old June 18th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

P S wrote:
I received some marketing brouchures from one of the best
selling "composite plane" on the market, with an invitation
to take a ride. Well, I was tempted until I found out how high
the Vso is. The plane goes in on final at 80 kts.

Which means, 80 kias is the speed you use for emergency
landing.

snip

I wasn't aware that 80 KIAS was all that fast.
Old June 18th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

On 17 Jun 2006 22:19:19 -0700, P S wrote:

to take a ride. Well, I was tempted until I found out how high
the Vso is. The plane goes in on final at 80 kts.

Hmmm, I do 68 knots on final in my Slowdowner. I do 90 knots on an ILS
approach in my Slowdowner.

80 knots is not excessively fast.

Allen
Old June 18th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

It is not the approach speed that make the wreckages look so
horrifying. It is their abrupt stall characteristics and the fact that
composite materials melt and vaporize when under fire. I have seen a
Lancair after a wreck and I could only identify the metal pieces.
Everything else was gone.

Old June 18th 06, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 17 Jun 2006 22:53:18 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

It is not the approach speed that make the wreckages look so
horrifying. It is their abrupt stall characteristics and the fact that
composite materials melt and vaporize when under fire.

And metal airplanes don't?

http://www.wanttaja.com/mooney.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Old June 18th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

P,

No wonder pictures after pictures of the wreckages of such
plane look so horrifying. Oh,, it is all pilot errors, since
the computers onboard have added such unprecendented
situation awareness, so that even incompetent pilots can
fly at ease.

Troll.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 18th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Ron Wanttaja wrote:
And metal airplanes don't?

http://www.wanttaja.com/mooney.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Geez, Ron, better luck with the next landing!

JKG

Old June 18th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

P S wrote:
Can anyone share the thoughts on why the 80 kias speed for
emergency landing is not bothersome ? [The chut is for the wife,
now lets hear the reasons for the husband pilot.]

The parachute in the Cirrus is not for the wife or for marketing. It's
installed because the FAA required it for certification under an
"equivalent level of safety" letter for 14CFR Part 23.221. Which is to
say, the Cirrus can't meet the requirements of Part 23.221 without the
parachute.

--
John Kimmel

remove x

"He's dead, Jim."
Old June 18th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning

Clearly this is spam from a poster with a hidden agenda.

-Robert