AP/Reuters Says Blackhawk Hostile Fire Loss and First Chem Munitions Found

Old January 15th 04, 04:36 AM
L'acrobat

"John Mullen" wrote in message

Wrapped up neatly in mylar, huh? Regardless, they were not *accounted

for*
by Saddam in his numerous "disclosure" statements. Bad on him.

Tut tut indeed.

Think it justified going to war?!

Certainly.

Assuming they were Chem rounds, could you explain why you think that such a
direct breach of the cease fire agreement wouldn't justify going to war?

Old January 15th 04, 06:06 AM
TJ

"Kevin Brooks

This ain't demo from a range. These munitions were the subject of repeated
requirements for Saddam to fully (and accurately) account for them, which

he
obviously failed to do (I'd challenge you to find, anywhere in Saddam's
numerous "full, final, and complete" WMD disclosures to the UN, where he
listed *any* chemical weapons as either stolen or lost). Further, there is
no indication they were "stolen"; in fact, it would appear they were
intentionally hidden, so your analogy is not too accurate IMO.

Brooks

The second round of tests conducted in country by the ISG have found no
chemicals in the cache. This also happened with a cache of phosphorus filled
mortars found back in October which gave an initial positive reading for
chemical agent.

TJ

Old January 15th 04, 10:58 AM
John Mullen

Kevin Brooks wrote:

"John Mullen" wrote in message

Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
. net...

Further, there is

no indication they were "stolen"; in fact, it would appear they were
intentionally hidden, so your analogy is not too accurate IMO.

I don't know the details of the exact find, but I've seen "buried". In

my

experience, Sgt Rock and Pvt Snuffy may well interpret their orders to
destroy or get rid of something by burying it.

Wrapped up neatly in mylar, huh? Regardless, they were not *accounted

for*

by Saddam in his numerous "disclosure" statements. Bad on him.

Tut tut indeed.

Think it justified going to war?!

I personally think Saddam himself, with all of his nauseating atrocities
under his belt, was plenty enough justification for going to war--the fact
that he wanted to play games with the WMD requirements was just icing on the
cake. Why, are you losing sleep over his departure from power?

Not really. Are you losing any sleep now it turns out the latest 'WMD
find' , like all the previous ones, wasn't?

John

Old January 15th 04, 02:18 PM
Kevin Brooks

Kevin Brooks wrote:

[...]

Not one iota.

Brooks

John

Old January 15th 04, 02:21 PM
Kevin Brooks

"TJ" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah. I caught that in the latest AP report. Looks like they are going to
have to develop (or further field what is already available) some better
field testing equipment.

Brooks

Old January 15th 04, 02:28 PM
John Mullen

Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote in message
. ..

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
a.net...

[...]

I'm glad. A conscience can be a terrible thing.

John

Old January 15th 04, 02:29 PM
Kevin Brooks

Kevin Brooks wrote:

[...]

Not nearly as immediately dangerous as an uncontrolled bleeding heart.

Brooks

John

Old January 15th 04, 02:32 PM
John Mullen

Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote in message
. ..

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
hia.net...

[...]

Indeed. A balance between the two is worth striving for IMO

John

Old January 16th 04, 01:42 AM
Peter Kemp

On or about Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:36:11 +1100, "L'acrobat"
allegedly uttered:

"John Mullen" wrote in message

Wrapped up neatly in mylar, huh? Regardless, they were not *accounted

for*
by Saddam in his numerous "disclosure" statements. Bad on him.

Tut tut indeed.

Think it justified going to war?!

Certainly.

Assuming they were Chem rounds, could you explain why you think that such a
direct breach of the cease fire agreement wouldn't justify going to war?

Well, from the UK point of view (where "regime change" was a bad
phrase to use), the reason for going to war was the *immediate threat*
of the WMD, which at the time I supported.

A couple of dozen 120mm mortar shells in the condition that these were
found are a threat to no one except the poor buggers who have to clean
them up. Hardly worth dozens (let alone hundreds) of your own soldiers
paying the big price.

A few WP shells course, leaves us back to where we were before. No
WMD found, and no end to the casualties in sight.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster