Anyone dissapointed with Oshgosh?

Old August 18th 03, 03:35 AM
Morgans

Average teacher salary

California, $54,348
Michigan, $52,497
Connecticut, $52,376
Rhode Island, $51,619
New York, $51,020

Nice to see you chose some of the top ones.

Jim (tounge in cheek) in NC

Old August 18th 03, 03:50 AM
Cy Galley

Funny, I got paid only 9 months of the year. I could take my 9 months salary
spread out over 12 months if I wished, but even then if I took an
unauthorized day off, it was at the 9 month pay rate not the lower 12 month
pay rate.

Retired Illinois school teacher

"CW9371" wrote in message
Yes, most teachers get a couple of months off per year but how would you

like
it if your company said you must work 10 months a year, accept the lowest

pay
level of any college degree required job and not get paid for those two
months?
If you knew anything at all about the teaching profession, you would go

wash
your mouth out with soap.

Bob Reed

Bob, They work 10 months and get paid for 12 months. All depends on how

look at it. Also there benefits, alteast here in wisconsin are very very

good
compared to alot of companies. Also where do u get that there the lowest

paid
of any college degree required job.
I know thats wrong as i started out as a reporter, you must have a

college
degree for the job and well teachers got paid more here in wisconsin for a
starting wage. Also nurses may or may not get more then a teacher to

start. I
do agree that good teachers should be paid more, but how to u figure out

what
teachers are good is the problem. I know several of the teachers i had in
highschool were bad teachers, but they had been teaching at the school for

over
30 years so they were maxed out the pay scale but they were overpaid.

sooo
what do we do...

Old August 18th 03, 03:59 AM
Daniel

Scott wrote ...
Do you mean to imply that $50,000 a year is an exorbitant amount for an
employee to be paid? ...

Hi Scott,

Depends entirely on the employee. The guy that cuts your lawn isn't
worth anywhere near that amount. The woman running your pension fund
is worth many times that.

What I am categorically stating (not implying) is that a nonprofit
organization the size of the EAA sure as hell doesn't need twenty-two
of them!

Daniel
Old August 18th 03, 05:33 AM
Corrie

Kevin O'Brien wrote in message ...

The guys I see working in wood are 1) really old;

hey - I'm only 41!

2) former RC modelers;

I built a rubber-band-powered balsa Cub recently - does that count?

or 3) guys who already had a wood-shop hobby before taking up building.

No, just owning a 50-year-old home. Though it's not too different, I
suppose.

Side note: I've noted that success building RC models is often a harbinger of
success building "real" planes. Shades of "Flight of the Phoenix"!

Great movie! But I already have one expensive hobby - guitars - and
can't afford two more. So between flying model airplanes and real
ones, I have to take the real ones.

Corrie - waiting for FlyBaby plans...
Old August 18th 03, 02:40 PM
Ron Natalie

"pac plyer" wrote in message om...

My last Osh was in 97', and had a grand time. Gunna try to go next
year if we can get our old Appache/Aztec back up flying again.

Wimp. My airplane has been down for two Oshkoshes and we just drive.

Old August 18th 03, 02:49 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ida Covey" wrote in message m...
Jim:

Most white collar workers that I know are on-the-job at least 2200 hours per
year. (Ten holidays, three weeks of vacation.) Many work closer to 2400
hours per year. Teaching is a fine profession, but it isn't a full time
job.

I assume that you are campaigning to have schools in session, and teachers
employed, full time.

Bull**** Ida. Margy works from the last week in August to the third week in
July and easily spends over 2000 hours a year. While her contract only covers
8 hours for 190 days or whatever, I defy you to find a teacher that can accomplish
their job limitted to the contract hours.

Old August 18th 03, 02:52 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message ink.net...
All tax deductible of course...

Unfortunately not in practice. Most teachers can't take the straight business
expense deduction and the $250 exemption for classroom supplise is a pittance.

With all the holidays etc. teacher get off it all works out so don't try
to kid us about how much time you spend at work. It has been figured out
to the penny here in Oregon how much time teachers spend at work each
year and it is much less that the average worker does.

Bull****. Margy spends almost the a year round full time load inside the building
on the 190 or so days she is there. That doesn't count all the extra preparation
and work she does at home, nor the extracurricular training she does to maintain
her certification.

Old August 18th 03, 05:54 PM
CW9371

In article , writes:

It's very different state to state. Here in California if you start with a
BA
and an emergency credential it's an average starting salary of $34,180. The
average teacher here makes $54,348, and with 25 years and an MA it's in the
$70-80,000 range, depending on the district. Nationwide, starting salary
average is $30,719, average teacher salary is $44,367.

I know a 2nd grade teacher with 30 years in the same district and a PhD.
She's
getting $85k, and is about to retire (at 54 years old) on 75%. Because

she's
teaching 3rd grade she never has to grade a paper. She also goes to Japan 6
weeks every year and teaches English, for $2k a week.

Average teacher salary

California, $54,348
Michigan, $52,497
Connecticut, $52,376
Rhode Island, $51,619
New York, $51,020

Based on your figures, there are some states that are really pulling the
average down or there are very few holding the average up. A national
average
for all teachers of only 44K is pretty bad. Even then the starting salary is
low for the education required to start. By the way, how well could you live
in California or New York on only $50k per year? Could you afford a nice
home?

Bob, i usually agree with u, but a 44K a year salary with benefits is pretty
good. If you think that is pretty bad you need to take a look what the average
wages are in the US. If a couple makes 88K a year I would have to say that
alot of my clients would consider them rich. Since i know a lot of people
working in factories or banks for 10 or less an hour
Old August 18th 03, 06:02 PM
Morgans

"
Bob, i usually agree with u, but a 44K a year salary with benefits is

pretty
good. If you think that is pretty bad you need to take a look what the

average
wages are in the US. If a couple makes 88K a year I would have to say

that
alot of my clients would consider them rich. Since i know a lot of people
working in factories or banks for 10 or less an hour

Compare it to other occupations that require a 4 year college education, and
continuing education. Not so good, when looked at that way.
--
Jim in NC--