A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Update

Old August 19th 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert[_7_]
external usenet poster

Default Update

Hello I'm considering building the glider ... have the plans... was wondering if this group was still active?

Thanks Robert
Old August 19th 20, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default Update

What glider, what group, what plans, where?

Boggs

Old August 20th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Update

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 3:25:13 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
What glider, what group, what plans, where?

Boggs

Maybe the Sands' 1929 Primary Replica. Plans were available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sands_...Primary_Glider

Frank
Old August 20th 20, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Update

How do you intend to launch it? If it is the Sands Primary glider (as suggested in a previous post), foot launching is not an option (especially at age 71.) Aerotow from either the commercial operator like Sundance Aviation or the Albuquerque Soaring Club in Moriarty is also a non-starter, as the speed and controllability is not compatible with the 265 HP Pawnee, Callair or AgWagon. Not to mention the 6,200 ft. field elevation with density altitude above 9,000 ft. in the summer.

I flew hang gliders in New Mexico for almost thirty years before switching to sailplanes in 2000. I can assure you there are no sites accessible for a Primary glider and bungee launch. And there are no winch launch operations.. Looks like auto tow is the last option, and that presents a whole new set of challenges.

Think carefully before embarking on this endeavor.
Old August 20th 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert[_7_]
external usenet poster

Default Update

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 6:59:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
How do you intend to launch it? If it is the Sands Primary glider (as suggested in a previous post), foot launching is not an option (especially at age 71.) Aerotow from either the commercial operator like Sundance Aviation or the Albuquerque Soaring Club in Moriarty is also a non-starter, as the speed and controllability is not compatible with the 265 HP Pawnee, Callair or AgWagon. Not to mention the 6,200 ft. field elevation with density altitude above 9,000 ft. in the summer.

I flew hang gliders in New Mexico for almost thirty years before switching to sailplanes in 2000. I can assure you there are no sites accessible for a Primary glider and bungee launch. And there are no winch launch operations. Looks like auto tow is the last option, and that presents a whole new set of challenges.

There are places here near bluewater lake.... it's doable plus a easy launch site up near Crownpoint. Other than my back i am in very good shape... ultralights could be an option too... i dont care if i only fly a few hundred feet above the sagebrush. One way or another i will do it. I have zero interest in the absurdly expensive soaring high end stuff. Not what im looking for. I want to skim the tops of the sagebrush not much more than that.... don't care about thermals ushering me up to 40,000 feet, just a nice fun glide.
Old August 20th 20, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian
external usenet poster

Default Update

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 8:36:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I flew hang gliders in New Mexico for almost thirty years before switching to sailplanes in 2000. I can assure you there are no sites accessible for a Primary glider and bungee launch. And there are no winch launch operations. Looks like auto tow is the last option, and that presents a whole new set of challenges.

There are places here near bluewater lake.... it's doable plus a easy launch site up near Crownpoint. Other than my back i am in very good shape... ultralights could be an option too... i dont care if i only fly a few hundred feet above the sagebrush. One way or another i will do it. I have zero interest in the absurdly expensive soaring high end stuff. Not what im looking for. I want to skim the tops of the sagebrush not much more than that..... don't care about thermals ushering me up to 40,000 feet, just a nice fun glide.

Bluewater, you may want to consider a powered parachute. "Skimming the sage brush' in any kind of glider is a recipe for disaster.
Old August 20th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Update

He's made up his mind, so offering advice is probably a waste of time.
Old August 20th 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Update

Hi Robert,

You might consider Radio Controlled aircraft. Fun to build. Best flown below 400 AGL. Relatively safe and there are great clubs where you can share with other enthusiasts. Best of all you will have very good chance of getting something into the air in a reasonable amount of time.

It's also possible to put a small video camera in them and wear a VR headset to get the pilot's point of view.

Look at some videos on Youtube and see if this interests you.

Old August 21st 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Update

Powered parachute, trike, gyroplane...Â* All better than a glider for low
altitude skimming and, at your age, how much time do you want to spend
building?

I'm 72 and recently completed building a gyroplane kit which I've now
flown about 70 hours.Â* It's such a pleasure to skim along the ground,
well, high enough not to get caught by power lines, but low enough to
see the prong horn antelope in the vast open spaces to the east of
Moriarty.Â* Tomorrow my wife and I will be launching around 0630 with a
plan of flying east to Santa Rosa and then following the Pecos River up
to Pecos before coming home.

Oh, and it took all of three intense weeks to build the kit.

On 8/20/2020 9:59 AM, Herbert Kilian wrote:
On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 8:36:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:

There are places here near bluewater lake.... it's doable plus a easy launch site up near Crownpoint. Other than my back i am in very good shape... ultralights could be an option too... i dont care if i only fly a few hundred feet above the sagebrush. One way or another i will do it. I have zero interest in the absurdly expensive soaring high end stuff. Not what im looking for. I want to skim the tops of the sagebrush not much more than that.... don't care about thermals ushering me up to 40,000 feet, just a nice fun glide.

Bluewater, you may want to consider a powered parachute. "Skimming the sage brush' in any kind of glider is a recipe for disaster.

--
Dan, 5J