Attention Glasflugel Libelle Pilots

Old October 26th 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nathan Lemmon

Default Attention Glasflugel Libelle Pilots

If you're trying to restore your Libelle to original configuration, you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER. I have one that is available for sale. If you are interested, email me and I'll send you some photos.
Old October 27th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
...you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER.

H301 only, right?

Old October 27th 20, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 8:12:11 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
...you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER.

H301 only, right?

I had one of these in my H301 but took it out when TE became a 'thing'. The instrument had one Pitot port for the ASI, one Static pressure port for the Vario and one for the capacity. Not sure how the speed indicator's readout would be influenced if one would feed it TE as reference.
Still, it is one neat conversation piece. ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old October 27th 20, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 11:47:54 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 8:12:11 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
...you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER.

H301 only, right?

I had one of these in my H301 but took it out when TE became a 'thing'. The instrument had one Pitot port for the ASI, one Static pressure port for the Vario and one for the capacity. Not sure how the speed indicator's readout would be influenced if one would feed it TE as reference.
Still, it is one neat conversation piece. ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Vas ist loss? Habenzie eine foto?

Old October 27th 20, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 11:31:10 AM UTC-5, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
If you're trying to restore your Libelle to original configuration, you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER. I have one that is available for sale. If you are interested, email me and I'll send you some photos.

Tony, use google to get examples. There are also a couple of good papers listed from OSTIV the Congresses in 1972 and 1976. Basically it is another way to display speed to fly, similar to McCready theory.
Old October 29th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 10:47:54 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 8:12:11 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:31:10 PM UTC-4, Nathan Lemmon wrote:
...you might need a SOLLFAHRTGEBER.

H301 only, right?

I had one of these in my H301 but took it out when TE became a 'thing'. The instrument had one Pitot port for the ASI, one Static pressure port for the Vario and one for the capacity. Not sure how the speed indicator's readout would be influenced if one would feed it TE as reference.
Still, it is one neat conversation piece. ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Uli,

Hook capacity up as normal. Hook TE probe to Static port on instrument, and ship's static port to Pitot port on instrument. TE is negative Pitot (for proper TE Compensation), and the airspeed portion doesn't care if pitot is higher or static is lower. It's all about the delta. Airspeed will read correctly in this configuration, and the vario is now TE compensated.

Tested and verified in my Kestrel 19 just over a year ago.

Steve Leonard
Old October 29th 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 8:24:19 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve - thanks for the explanation! That makes sense but it was not how it was hooked up. It was plumbed according to the port designations, so I didn't trust the ASI indication.
I replaced the Sollfahrtgeber with an early Cambridge vario soon after I got the ship and relied on the McCready ring for speed to fly.
I still have the instrument around, though - cool mechanics! :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old October 29th 20, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 8:29:12 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
[...]

I have one on the shelf in the garage. Doubt it's serviceable.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 29th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 9:29:12 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
[...]

Well, if you hook it up as labeled, it works just fine. The vario is not TE compensated, though. The airspeed should have been correct. Sometimes, you have to think back and forth between MPH on the SFG, and Knots on your ASI.

I have one sitting on my shelf, too, Frank. If you don't think yours doesn't work, you could always send it to Steve's Home for Wayward Glider Stuff. :-)

Steve Leonard