An eye opening experience...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 21st 04, 02:22 AM
Sam

Default An eye opening experience...

While hanging out at Sun-n-fun this weekend, I came across the FAA
training area and saw that they had a full motion simulator available
for simulated spatial disorientation. I'm currently about 70% through
ground school, and will begin flight training in a couple of weeks. I
have been flying with people in light a/c for many years, but have
never experienced SD and have often wondered how so many people get
screwed up in it. I've always thought that if you can't see outside,
look at the instruments! What's the big deal?

Anyway, I signed up and climbed on in for my 5 minute session. They
gave me some basic pre-sim flight info regarding the control
sensitivity (and they were VERY sensitive) and a cue to look down and
pick up a pencil that I had "dropped" after a particular radio call
from ATC (turn left 30 degrees). The sim is fully enclosed, w/ the
only controls being ailerons/elevator and throttle. The rudder pedals
are locked and not used in the simulation.

They start you off flying straight and level VFR, several thousand
feet AGL. Then you are instructed by "ATC" to make a climbing left
turn to some large change in heading. After beginning the turn, you
become enclosed in thick IFR and lose all outside reference. No big
deal I thought, just keep an eye on the AI and airspeed w/ occasional
checks on Alt. ATC then instructs you to level off for a few seconds,
followed by another radio call to turn left heading 030 (the cue to
look down and get the pencil off the floor).

As soon as I bent down I was COMPLETELY screwed up. I had no idea
what was happening, but it was not good. I had left my hand on the
yoke when I bent down, so when I looked up I was in a pretty steep
bank that was not agreeing w/ what I felt. I was now sweating and my
heart was beating fast! I got back into my scan and ignored what my
body was pleading w/ me to do. I leveled it out and again focused on
the AI and airspeed. Right now I didn't care much about the altitude.
Things got back to normal, and my flight was over!

I'm so glad I was able to experience this. I don't know how realistic
it is or isn't, but either way I have a lot more respect for spatial
disorientation and will definitely be going for my IFR rating after my
PPL (and will NOT be scud running under VFR). If you have an
opportunity to experience this sim, I definitely recommend it. If not
for the logistical problems, I'd think such an experience should
almost be mandatory for student pilots.