GIF of plane hit by lightning

Old May 30th 04, 06:25 PM
Dan Jacobson

Default GIF of plane hit by lightning

GIF of plane hit by lightning:
http://bm6aak.myweb.hinet.net/file/456.gif
(Lightning hits planes everyday and is no big deal.)
Old May 31st 04, 03:05 AM
zatatime

On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:25:24 +0800, Dan Jacobson
wrote:

GIF of plane hit by lightning:
http://bm6aak.myweb.hinet.net/file/456.gif
(Lightning hits planes everyday and is no big deal.)

That's intense/disconcerting/cool and a million other adjectives all
rolled into one!

Old June 2nd 04, 05:29 PM
MikeM

Dan Jacobson wrote:

GIF of plane hit by lightning:
http://bm6aak.myweb.hinet.net/file/456.gif
(Lightning hits planes everyday and is no big deal.)

What it clearly shows is that airplanes do not get "hit
by lightning". What actually happens is that a lightning
bolt already headed from ground to cloud sometimes
makes a small detour through a conductive object (airplane)
if it happens to be where the lightening bolt may have gone
anyway.

There are billions of volts cloud-to-ground before the strike.
Once the air in the lightning bolt path is ionized, the
current that flows is only a few thousand Amps.
A metallic aircraft, if it becomes part of the current path,
has a max voltage drop across it of only a few hundred volts.

The airplane is self-protected in the same way as installing
a #8awg copper wire from a "lightening rod" from the roof of
a barn, around the outside of the barn, to a ground rod.
During a strike, the potential from tip of the lightening
rod to the ground under the barn is constrained to a few
hundred volts... This keeps the destructive current path out
of the wood; it flows along the copper wire instead of in the
wood.

Dont try this with a plastic, composite or wood aircraft.
The current pulse instantly turns absorbed moisture into steam,
literally blowing the aircraft apart.

MikeM

Old June 3rd 04, 03:43 AM
Jim Knoyle

"MikeM" wrote in message
Dan Jacobson wrote:

[...]

Some occasional exceptions. One DC-10 I worked
had a real interesting bit of artwork after a strike. Along
the left side there was a splotch about three feet long as
if some artist had painted a jagged line with his paintbrush.
On closer exam, the splotch consisted of pitted and melted
aluminum.
Back when the Weather Radar (AVQ 10/30) used a parabolic
dish for a scanner, the scanner bearings could get welded solid.
The scanner probe consisted of an approx. 4 inch long 1/4 inch
diameter alloy rod for a probe. This rod was encapsulated into
a solid 3/4 inch Teflon cylinder. After a strike this Teflon could
look like a bit of Swiss cheese or a bad case of termites.

JK

Old June 4th 04, 01:22 AM
Rowbotth

In article ,
"Jim Knoyle" wrote:

"MikeM" wrote in message
Dan Jacobson wrote:

[...]

OK, but all of these verify what I think I know about lightning - it is
a very high frequency phenomena and will tend to only flow through the
skin of the conductor. So while it may mark or weld exterior
attachments, interior "stuff" - instrumentation; people; etc. will be
quite safe.

(And as for the wooden or plastic aircraft, wouldn't the qualities of an
aircraft to attract lightning in the air be mostly to be a better
conductor than non-ionized air? And mostly for cloud to cloud strikes?
So I'm unclear on how good an electrical conductor this stuff would be.
And how about titanium - like in "Blackbird"?)

HR.
Old June 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Jim Knoyle

"Rowbotth" wrote in message

OK, but all of these verify what I think I know about lightning - it is
a very high frequency phenomena and will tend to only flow through the
skin of the conductor. So while it may mark or weld exterior
attachments, interior "stuff" - instrumentation; people; etc. will be
quite safe.

(And as for the wooden or plastic aircraft, wouldn't the qualities of an
aircraft to attract lightning in the air be mostly to be a better
conductor than non-ionized air? And mostly for cloud to cloud strikes?
So I'm unclear on how good an electrical conductor this stuff would be.
And how about titanium - like in "Blackbird"?)

Tend to agree with you as for the safety of the passengers but an
occasional lightning strike helped keep us avionics types employed,
not to mention the A&P and his sheetmetal skills. He also may get
to degauss a windshield frame or some area that can put a very
noticeable error into the standby magnetic compass. If a localized
degaussing won't handle the problem, moving the whole aircraft into
a special degaussing area should. Then we'd get to re-swing the
compass(s).
My knowledge may be a bit dated. Welded radar scanners and
zapped radar receiver crystals may be something that is not a
problem with newer designs that use much less radiated power.
I've replaced a bunch of HF radio lightning arrestors after a strike
rendered those systems inop but I wouldn't be surprised to learn
that SatCom has replaced HF radio. I don't know.
Anybody noticed any of those long trailing antennae from the tips
of the wings of newer overwater 747s? With other AC usually
using the vert stab leading edge, it's harder to spot. Guess I'll just
tune up some of our old company freqs on my scanner.
Bottom line: They have two or three (or more) of all the important
bits on the aircraft.

JK ( Just tuned in 5,574 Mhz HF and heard the old familiar SelCal )

Old June 5th 04, 07:48 AM
Troy Towner

Now the thing to be worried about is St. Elmo's Fire... I have read some
strange things on this phenomenon, including a seasoned aircarrier pilot
seeing a floating ball of blue light which passed right through him.... Go
check it out your self..
http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/...lightning.html

Old June 5th 04, 07:31 PM
Rowbotth

OK, but if the thing passed right through him, and he's talking about
it, why would I worry about it?

H.

In article ,
"Troy Towner" wrote:

Now the thing to be worried about is St. Elmo's Fire... I have read some
strange things on this phenomenon, including a seasoned aircarrier pilot
seeing a floating ball of blue light which passed right through him.... Go
check it out your self..
http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/...7/aformofballl
ightning.html

Old June 5th 04, 08:49 PM
QDurham

Now the thing to be worried about is St. Elmo's Fire... I have read some
strange things on this phenomenon, including a seasoned aircarrier pilot
seeing a floating ball of blue light which passed right through him..

Had an interesting run-in with St. Elmo's Fire about 50 years ago, Lockheed
P2V, Straights of Taiwan (OK, "Formosa" then), night. Creepy feeling.
Something's wrong. Scarey. What the hell is happening. Spooky -- for no
apparent reason. Sudenly fingers of blueish "flame" sticking out from all
external sharp things like windshield wipers, etc. Looked out at props and
they were quite invisible but there was an stationery ring of "fire" where the
prop tips were. There was a whole large number of pointy "flames" sticking out
from this apparently "stationary" discharge ring.

Radios got worse and worse as the minutes went by. Radio chief back aft reacehd
up to do something to a knife switch relatred to out trailing wire antenna. He
got it. Bang! Apparently down his fingers and out his earphones. POW!
Radios now OK. Poor chief was understandably stunned. Crewmwn backl aft said
a ball of "electrrical-looking fire" made 2-3 trips for and aft in the tail
section of plane -- scaring the **** out of all observers -- but otherwise no
harm. Radios proceeded to get worse again, Chief gritted his teeth, stuck his
finger close to switch again. BAM! Radios again OK. If ever a person
deserved the Congressional Medal, Chief's it.

Why the creepy feeling at the start of all this? Wiser heads told me later
that as the plane (and its contents) built up an increasingly large static
electric charge, every hair on one's body stands at attention. Like a kid
leaning on a science classroom's van DeGraff generator.

Consider a wooden boat. They rarely get Saint Elmos's stuff -- and that's
often enough. All sharp things emit this glow. Every hair on every rope.
Every line is glowing, All sharp fittings have this aurora. combine that with
the creepy feeling mentioned, can you imagine the effect on a bunch of
illiterate, superstitious, far-from-home sailors? A whole pile of instant
conversions. As is said, there are no athiests in a foxhole, there are
probably damn few athiests on a boat with a bad case of Saint Elmo's Fire.

Quent
Old June 12th 04, 06:04 PM
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC

QDurham wrote:

Now the thing to be worried about is St. Elmo's Fire... I have read some
strange things on this phenomenon, including a seasoned aircarrier pilot
seeing a floating ball of blue light which passed right through him..

I was flying a 757 out of Indy the night AA went into Little Rock. We picked up
St Elmo's climbing out. Had it so bad it was going - forward - off the nose
about 20-25 feet. As we cant see the wing tips from the cockpit, wasnt able to
see if it was building off the engine inlets. 'Was dancing all over the windows
and radios were just about useless. Guy I was flying with said he'd never seen
it going forward off an airplane. Lost it all leaving the precip, but had to go
well south of Louisville before heading west towards Vegas.

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 04 07:27 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 December 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 September 1st 03 07:27 AM