Apparently Iced Up

Old December 27th 03, 01:22 AM
smackey

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message thlink.net...
It probably would not have sublimated on climb out, sublimation takes a long
time. You might want to consider filling your garden sprayer with RV-type
antifreeze as a deicing solution in the winter.

Mike
MU-2

Thanks to all for the feedback. Question on the garden sprayer:
I usually have one filled with 90% solution of isopropyl alcohol
(didn't that nigt) from the drug store. Any reason this isn't a
feasible deicing solution to use if I were departing, say, in daytime?
Old December 27th 03, 02:56 AM
Viperdoc

Isopropyl alcohol can be a bit expensive, and evaporates quickly. Deicing
fluid like TKS is usually some combination of ethylene glycol and
isopropanol, which is a lot more viscous and sticks to the airframe better.
It also makes a tremendous mess on the hangar floor that never evaporates on
its own, and is very slippery.

A mix of warm water and cheap glycol based antifreeze in a garden sprayer
works pretty well as a substitute as mentioned. The pink or yellow-green dye
won't matter. Don't forget to do the wheels and landing gear, as well as
flap tracks, etc. In lieu of a plane with deice equipment it may give a few
minutes of ice protection, particularly if you taxi out in snow or slush.

Old December 28th 03, 12:03 AM
Mike Rapoport

Alcohol will work fine but propylene glycol will stay on longer and melt any
snow that falls between the time you spray it on and the time you takeoff.
Don't use ethylene glycol. It is toxic and you could get into trouble
deliberately leaving puddles of it on the ramp.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 28th 03, 12:16 AM
Free

Now how did an MU-2 Pilot get so interested in ICE??

Kevin
Past MU-2-60 pilot

ink.net...

Old December 28th 03, 05:15 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Free wrote:

Now how did an MU-2 Pilot get so interested in ICE??

How do you think he got to *be* an MU-2 pilot?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 29th 03, 02:00 AM
Mike Rapoport

We have two houses, one on the east side of the Sierra in Nevada and one in
north Idaho. Both are uncontrolled fields and both get heavy snow. I have
had an inch of snow fall between the time I got in the airplane after
cleaning it and when I had my clearance and was ready to takeoff. When it
is right around 32F I always wonder if the snow will blow off the top of the
wing or if it will freeze solid. Once flying, icing is no problem.

Mike
MU-2

news