What Graphics Card

Old January 19th 04, 06:37 PM
david bazley

Default What Graphics Card

I am completely new to FS, just installed FS 2004 and it looks very
promising indeed. I went solo after only one hour and crashed on landing,
but it was a start!
I thought my PC should be fast enough 1.9G chip with 1000 RAM.
But my Matrox Millennium 550 graphics card (2 years old) does not seem to be
good enough at any resolution, there is obviously an incompatibility (It's
not WHQL certified - whatever that means). Very poor modelling of the
landscape. I am about to download from Matrox the latest driver software.
Is that going to make the vital difference or should I consider getting
another card altogether? In which case how about the NVIDIA G FORCE or 5950?
Both these have been suggested to me as possibilities.

Also, am I being optimistic in hoping to eventually run FS with max
modelling at my current settings which are 24 bit at 1024X768?

Also (sorry to go on, but I have so many questions) is there a decent
handbook on FS2004?

Biggles

Old January 20th 04, 08:41 PM
John Hall

I think you have enough computer power to run FS2004, but you definitely
need a new graphics card. I recommend an ATI card, either a 9600 or a 9800
series card because they are able to handle the version of 3D graphics in
FS, entirely within the hardware on the card. Without getting technical,
FS2004 will look like it was designed to look and the aircraft will fly
smoothly.

JK

Old January 20th 04, 11:32 PM
david bazley

Many thanks for advice John, presumably I can slot the 9600 or 9800 into the
same slot from where I extract the Matrox 550?

Biggles

news

Old January 22nd 04, 03:12 AM
John Hall

If it's an AGP slot, yes you can. Given your system, I'm sure it is.

JK

"david bazley" wrote in message
Many thanks for advice John, presumably I can slot the 9600 or 9800 into

the
same slot from where I extract the Matrox 550?

Biggles

"John Hall" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
AOPA VISA card fraud via XM Radio? Dan Luke Piloting 5 July 5th 04 06:38 PM
Graphics Card Shiver Simulators 5 January 29th 04 09:05 PM
Graphics card ?? Pilot Pete Simulators 5 January 14th 04 07:48 PM
Best graphics card for FS9 ? George A. Gross Jr Simulators 5 October 13th 03 09:42 AM