Did I violate an FAR?

Old December 1st 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

Default Did I violate an FAR?

In article
,
Hamish Reid wrote:

In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

Newps wrote:

You call up and say you are VFR at 8500 and request an ILS into Ontario.
Nothing so far suggests you even want to be IFR. Had you said you
were VFR on top of an overcast and would like a local IFR clearance to
get down then it would have been clear. The controller would have
responded with a clearance to Ontario as per the .65 4-2-1.

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/Chp4/atc0402.html

I guess it boils down to whether "fly heading 260 for vectors to the
Chino Runway 26 ILS, descent to and maintain 6,000" contains the
component of a clearance limit."

I think it does.

You say it doesn't.

Sounds like a subject ripe for some ATPAC discussion and clear AIM material.

I'm having a really hard time seeing a clearance limit in your example.
What do you think the clearance limit is in it?

IMO it is not entirely unreasonable to suppose that being cleared for an
approach contains an implicit clearance to the corresponding airport,
especially if you're in the air and haven't committed chapter and verse
of the AIM to memory.

rg
Old December 1st 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

Newps wrote:

You busted the regs when you went in the clouds.

I just got off the phone with a terminal guy who is about as sharp as
they come. He stated, as you did, that an airport clearance limit is
required for a pop-up to become IFR.

I'll go along with the "clearance limit" part, but I don't know about the
"airport" bit. I've certainly gotten pop-ups to climb or descend through a
cloud layer, "Cleared to the XYZ VOR".

He did also mention just that scenerio. My interest, though, was a
pop-up for descent through the muck onto a nearby IFR approach and
landing. He added that scenerio is covered in the 7110.65 with
specifivity because it doesn't fit the more typical mode of descent to
join an IAP at a nearby airport.
Old December 1st 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Ron Garret wrote:

IMO it is not entirely unreasonable to suppose that being cleared for an
approach contains an implicit clearance to the corresponding airport,
especially if you're in the air and haven't committed chapter and verse
of the AIM to memory.

rg

That was my point exactly, and I know it was done that way before they
had data entires into tht TRACON computer. The chap I spoke with agreed
that he had heard it was done that way in the days before ATC computers;
i.e., the period with 64 code transponders and no transponders at all.