High-Strength Aluminum Helps 2-Stroke Engines

Old April 28th 04, 01:09 AM
sanman

Default High-Strength Aluminum Helps 2-Stroke Engines

Check this out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427054317.htm

Interesting stuff... I wonder if aviation homebuilders could benefit
from 2-stroke engines made with this stuff? Comments?
Old April 28th 04, 03:30 AM
Ernest Christley

sanman wrote:
Check this out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427054317.htm

Interesting stuff... I wonder if aviation homebuilders could benefit
from 2-stroke engines made with this stuff? Comments?

Nope. NASA (a government agency) has a patent on it.

It won't be any use to us until Lycoming or Rotax start making "campaign
contributions"

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old April 28th 04, 08:05 PM
Jay

No Rotax (Bombardier) working with NASA is what the article is about.
Often times this technology is developed in the good 'ole USA on tax
dollars and given away to the world for the "good of mankind" and the
bottom line of corporations throughout the world.

Old April 28th 04, 11:18 PM
Fred the Red Shirt

sanman wrote:
Check this out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427054317.htm

Interesting stuff... I wonder if aviation homebuilders could benefit
from 2-stroke engines made with this stuff? Comments?

Nope. NASA (a government agency) has a patent on it.

Are you sure? I didn't see that stated in the article--aside from
which why would NASA NOT license manufacturers to use the alloy?

It won't be any use to us until Lycoming or Rotax start making "campaign
contributions"

I thought Rotax was a division of Bombardier Recreational Products,
who, according to the article, are already making engines with the
new alloy.

--

FF
Old April 29th 04, 12:32 AM

I didn't read the entire article, but it sounds as though they have
developed a casting alloy that is roughly the same strength as
2024-T3. From the article:

The alloy can greatly improve piston durability because it is two
and half times stronger than conventional cast aluminum pistons at
high temperature and can be produced with a material cost of less
than $1 per pound. It exhibits dramatic strength at temperatures
as high as 500 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit.

Since the tensile strength of typical conventional casting alloys is
around 20K psi, that would make this alloy 50K psi, which is about the
same as 2024-T3.

Dennis.

(sanman) wrote:

Check this out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427054317.htm

Interesting stuff... I wonder if aviation homebuilders could benefit
from 2-stroke engines made with this stuff? Comments?

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm