Life Insurance Dilema

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Joe

Default Life Insurance Dilema

I am in the process of trying to buy life insurance for the first time
and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I am sure many of
you have gone through this already.

Here are the details:
I finished my private license last novemeber. I have flown a little
since, but only every 1-2 months.
I requested a quote from Zander (which is basically a broker that
represents many companies). On my original request, I said I was a
pilot. They wrote me back and requested a few more pieces of
information related to my flying like total hours, ratings, hours per
year, etc.

For a $1M, 10-year term policy, with my particulars, with aviation
coverage, they quoted $295 /year BUT, until I had 100 solo hours and
had an annual rate of 25 hours a year, there would be an additional
charge of $2900 annually. Yikes. I can probably swing the 25 hours a
year without too much effort, but I currently only have 20 hours of
solo time. So, it is going to cost me something like $6,000 to amass
that sort of time. Although I would love to go do that next month, my
finances don't allow that at the moment.

So, my question is, has anyone else been in this dilema before? Does
anyone reading this have limited flying experience like I do but have
gotten a better deal elsewhere? Are there other companies I should look
into?

I would really appreciate any advice. At this point I think I am going
to have to give up flying for a few years until I can actually afford
it. And that has got me kind of depressed.

Thanks,
Joe in Denver