Finding a partnership

Old November 7th 03, 08:55 PM
Greg

Default Finding a partnership

I am really interested in finding a partnership to buy into.
interested in a time building plane that can also be used for flying
with friends and family (ie can't be a 150/152) Any advice on the
following:

1. how does one go about locating an existing partnership

2. in the absence of existing partnerships, how does one recruit
others to go in on a plane

3. any advice on buying the plane outright and selling part interest
in it to others

any and all discussion is much appreciated.

regards,
gf
Old November 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Jim

Good luck. I've been patiently looking and waiting. My best prospects for
a parter is one or two students that are working on their instrument ratings
and are serious about finding something nice after they finish. Be careful
of people that would rather talk about it than get serious and actually do
it.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

om...

Old November 7th 03, 09:42 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jim wrote:

Good luck. I've been patiently looking and waiting.

Why is this a problem? A friend with a 182 was looking for a third person
for the partnership. He took a while, but because he was picky and not
because there weren't possibilities.

But perhaps location makes a difference. This was in Northern NJ.

And perhaps for "more airplane" the wait is longer?

- Andrew

Old November 7th 03, 10:02 PM
Dave Butler

Greg wrote:
I am really interested in finding a partnership to buy into.
interested in a time building plane that can also be used for flying
with friends and family (ie can't be a 150/152) Any advice on the
following:

1. how does one go about locating an existing partnership

2. in the absence of existing partnerships, how does one recruit
others to go in on a plane

3. any advice on buying the plane outright and selling part interest
in it to others

Good plan, but it's not easy in practice. I was lucky and had a good partner to
start out with, and he had some previous experience with ownership.

Put up notices in all the nearby FBOs' corkboards. Put an ad in the 'airplanes'
section of your local newspaper classifieds.

It's probably easiest to find an existing partnership with one partner who wants
to sell, next easiest is to buy the plane first, then find a partner, hardest is
to form a partnership to buy a plane.

There are good an bad partnerships, I've been in both kinds. Hardest thing is
assessing whether your goals and your partner(s) goals are compatible.
Everything is a compromise. No partnership is perfect.

Get the information on forming a partnership from AOPA.

Old November 7th 03, 10:09 PM
Jim

Rural community.
Small population of pilots.
Only one other partnership on the airport.

Things have been really slow here in central WI.
Biggest job source is (was) the paper mills which are shutting down one
after another.

And I think you're right, a longer wait for larger or faster equipment.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Old November 8th 03, 03:41 AM
Ed Haywood

1. how does one go about locating an existing partnership

Only way to do this is ask around at all airfields that are close enough for
you, and post flyers in FBOs and clubs. You can also search on the
internet, but I didn't have much luck that way. Oh, and join the local EAA
chapter.

2. in the absence of existing partnerships, how does one recruit
others to go in on a plane

See answer to #1.

Also, don't discount another situation: you find a sole owner who wants to
sell you a share in his aircraft. Often there will be guys who own a plane
and don't use it as much as they thought they would. When they hear you are
looking, they get to thinking about it, and realize a partnership could be a
good deal for them. That's how I found a partnership.

3. any advice on buying the plane outright and selling part interest
in it to others

I'd avoid this, for 3 reasons. First, you've got no guarantee that you'll
find a partner after you buy. Don't do it unless you're fully prepared to
be a sole owner long term. Second, arriving on an agreed-upon value might
be difficult. The prospective partners aren't going to care what you paid,
only what they think it's worth. You might wind up eating a loss. Third,
if you comply fully with sales and use taxes, you might get hit twice; once
when you buy, and again when you take on partners.

Old November 9th 03, 02:03 PM
Steve Foley

Walk around the airport where you want to find a partnership. Write down the
tail numbers of all the planes on the field, look up the owner at
landings.com, write him/her/them a letter asking if they, or someone they
know, are interested in selling a share of a plane.

"Greg" wrote in message
om...

1. how does one go about locating an existing partnership