Great shot of the Thunderbird F-16 Ejection

Old January 30th 04, 12:45 AM
Big John

Dudley

I've been tryng to contact you off News Group with no joy. What am I
doing wrong?

Big John

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

"David Kinsell" wrote in message

"David Kinsell" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Over on "alt.binaries.pictures.aviation" someone has posted a

terrific, high
resolution, nearly head-on shot of the Air Force Thunderbird F-16

ejection
sequence from the crash in Idaho a few months ago. It REALLY shows

how
close the pilot came to hitting the deck before ejecting.

What appears to be cockpit video of the incident can be found at:

http://s91499480.onlinehome.us/vids/

No background info given, but it sure seems to be genuine. 4 meg

download.
There's also the classic video of the moron giving himself helicopter

lessons.

Wow, no one has accused this of being phoney video? No one has asked why
the T-Birds would be flying with a camera trained on the pilot? No one

has asked
how the tape survived the fireball? No one asked how this video showed up

on
a strange little website without explanation? This group is starting to

disappoint me . . .

I can't account for why the group would be disappointing you, but the
Thunderbirds tape every show and every practice without fail, for review and
criticism in the post flight debrief.
The in-plane camera and the HUD camera are designed to survive the crash.
The ejection shot came from a controller on the ledge of the tower at
Mountain Home and would usually become a part of the AF investigation team's
evidence. Normally, something like this would remain in house, but the
shot's release to the public is no big surprise to anyone.
Anything else you need to know, just ask. There's a fairly good chance that
someone in this group that seems to be disappointing you so much will have
the correct answer.
:-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old January 30th 04, 01:42 AM
Pat Thronson

Big John,

He is using a Spoofed e-mail when you auto reply. Look at his address. Just
manually enter his address into your address book. "For personal email,
please replace the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt"
You guys better not be talking flying secretly

Pat Thronson

"Big John" wrote in message
Dudley

I've been tryng to contact you off News Group with no joy. What am I
doing wrong?

Big John

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"

Snipage

Old January 30th 04, 01:45 AM
Dudley Henriques

I wrote to you back channel with no joy as well. Something's amiss for sure.
I'll try again. My email address is munged at the bottom of my signature tag
attached to this message. Just make a sensible link out of it and it should
come through ok.

the z's with e's and use the normal (@) and (.)

Old January 30th 04, 03:47 AM
Big John

Pat

I sent to his corrected address at end of post and he apparently got
my e-mail and replied to it. Guess he didn't look at the address I was
using and sent to another location?

Maybe this time?

And, yes it's all about flying G I have told so many War Stories on
rah that people are getting tired of my hairy/scary stuff (

Dudley will enjoy some of them about Willie I know.

Light rain tonight. First night of free celebration down town for
Super Bowl. We at least have a retractable roof for the game.

All the best.

Big John

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:42:16 GMT, "Pat Thronson"
wrote:

Big John,

He is using a Spoofed e-mail when you auto reply. Look at his address. Just
manually enter his address into your address book. "For personal email,
please replace the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt"
You guys better not be talking flying secretly

Pat Thronson

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
Dudley

I've been tryng to contact you off News Group with no joy. What am I
doing wrong?

Big John

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"

Snipage

Old January 30th 04, 04:15 AM
Dudley Henriques

John; I haven't gotten anything from you except what I've seen here. I've
been hitting the reply to sender button here and I guess that is going to
the hotmail.com address.
Dudley

wrote:

Big John,

He is using a Spoofed e-mail when you auto reply. Look at his address.

Just
manually enter his address into your address book. "For personal email,
please replace the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt"
You guys better not be talking flying secretly

Pat Thronson

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
Dudley

I've been tryng to contact you off News Group with no joy. What am I
doing wrong?

Big John

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"

Snipage

Old January 30th 04, 07:30 PM
Big John

Dudley

OK. Here's an address I set up. Try it.

In mean time, a story about the "Captive Air" trainer at Willie.

The F-80A/B both had the little engine (3850-4000 lb thrust) and fuel
control was manual.

The fuel valve was like a water valve (90 degrees from off to full
open) and connected directly to the throttle. The fuel boost pump was
the I-16 (prior use as main fuel pump in Bell P-59) that pulled
something like 15-20 amps when running.

Starting engine you had to manually move throttle between idle and
idle cut off to keep engine running (fire burning) and temperature
with in limits.

With the manual fuel control, it took 21 seconds to go from idle to
full throttle. If you moved faster, you overtemped the engine or blew
the fire out.

With this little back ground, back to the "Captive Air". This was a
F-80 mounted on steel posts in a flat attitude (same as you sat on the
ground on the gear.)

The mounting posts were long enough that the wheels cleared the ground
so the gear could be retracted.

Student studied procedures and after deemed ready was put in the
"Captive Air" for a start and simulated flight. Instructor stood on
wing to talk the student through start, simulated take off, gear
retract, throttle acceleration, gear down, simulated land and
simulated go around, etc.

After we used up (crashed) all the F-80A/B's we went to all T-33's and
they tore the "Captive Air" down (

The only significant difference between the 'A' and 'B' was the 'B'
had a ejection seat. When I first got to Willie they had the ejection
seats deactivated as they were scared students couldn't handle them.
Shortly later the word came down from on high. If the bird has a
ejection seat, activate it. All the T-33's had ejection seats so
students were exposed to them prior to going on to the F-84 or F-86
and Korea.

More "War Stories" later G

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:15:28 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

John; I haven't gotten anything from you except what I've seen here. I've
been hitting the reply to sender button here and I guess that is going to
the hotmail.com address.
Dudley
.. .

wrote:

Big John,

He is using a Spoofed e-mail when you auto reply. Look at his address.

Just
manually enter his address into your address book. "For personal email,
please replace the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt"
You guys better not be talking flying secretly

Pat Thronson

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
Dudley

I've been tryng to contact you off News Group with no joy. What am I
doing wrong?

Big John

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"

Snipage

Old January 31st 04, 04:06 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Big John" wrote in message
[...]

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````````````

wrote:

John; I haven't gotten anything from you except what I've seen here. I've
been hitting the reply to sender button here and I guess that is going to
the hotmail.com address.

Don't have too much time in the T-Bird; a few hours up in Canada. Some in
the F86 which was a blast to fly; then into T38's and finally the F14 for
some test work. Did an evaluation of the Snowbirds Tutors that was fun; A
ton of time in prop fighters; all as a civilian BTW! :-)
I remember the T-Bird simulator though. I believe it was called the C11B;
you probably remember it ; the zero reader eight ball and all that! Much
better than the old Link ANT18 yellow and blue monster we learned on.
The T38 would seem like greased lightning to someone after flying the T33
:-) Just the start procedure would drive a T Bird driver nuts looking for
something to do during spool up!!! It's mostly automatic.
You push the start buttons and watch the clocks. Easy!!
And you don't have those big 230 gal. centerlines hanging out there either
which is nice!! Then there's the ultimate. You can take a 38 out to about .9
and max deflect the ailerons. This will bounce the helmet of the back seat
guy right off the canopy! :-)
Lord, I miss the fun times!! :-)
Dudley

Old February 1st 04, 01:59 AM
Big John

Dudley

We can stay here vs e-mail but may get 'OT'?

"Boots" is a classmate of mine.

About 650 hours in the P/F-51D/K. My bird (Kathie Kay) was a 'K' (Aero
Products Prop). 8 FG, 35 Sq. Itazukie, Ashyia, Miho.

Participated in some of the service testing on T-28A at Edwards.

F-94C (super sonic bird same as F-86). Without tip tanks would 'whup'
'86. Best bird I ever flew. You couldn't tear it up no matter what you
did except fly into the ground.

We had one bird at Hamilton that dropped the tips when you pulled the
gear up ( We flew the bird clean while Lockheed tried to figure out
problem. 30 minute flight and then a 'practice' forced landing
approach to field )

Year with Navy tail hook Sq in F2H3 (twin engine T- bird performance).

WADF Project Officer on F-89J and F-101B (Atomic Interceptors).

Was a great life in a wondrous age from Jennies (first bird I can
remember) to the 101B last supersonic bird I flew.

Not just sure where you were in the test flying program? Virg Givins
was also a classmate of mine.

Worked with the Canuks in Air Defense (ADC/NORAD).

Glad when Super Bowl over here in Houston and can get back to normal
(

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:06:19 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

----clip----
..

Don't have too much time in the T-Bird; a few hours up in Canada. Some in
the F86 which was a blast to fly; then into T38's and finally the F14 for
some test work. Did an evaluation of the Snowbirds Tutors that was fun; A
ton of time in prop fighters; all as a civilian BTW! :-)

I remember the T-Bird simulator though. I believe it was called the C11B;
you probably remember it the zero reader eight ball and all that! Much
better than the old Link ANT18 yellow and blue monster we learned on.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````````
The Zero Reader was one of the best instruments I flew (in F-94C) Why
they didn't continue using it I don't know?
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````

The T38 would seem like greased lightning to someone after flying the T33
:-) Just the start procedure would drive a T Bird driver nuts looking for
something to do during spool up!!! It's mostly automatic.
You push the start buttons and watch the clocks. Easy!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````````````
The F-94C had an auto start. You could put the throttle in A/B and hit
start switches and engine would start, wind up to 100% and go into
burner without any further action on your part.

Engine was a J-48 centrifugal. Only other centrifugal than the J-33 in
T-33.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````

And you don't have those big 230 gal. centerlines hanging out there either
which is nice!! Then there's the ultimate. You can take a 38 out to about .9
and max deflect the ailerons. This will bounce the helmet of the back seat
guy right off the canopy! :-)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `
One of my play maneuvers in T- bird was to pick up a little speed and
then pull the nose up to about 45 degrees and lay stick full over.
Bird would roll up and over top and I would let continue to about a 45
degree dive and 'whap' stop. After stopping roll, the passenger would
end up with his head cocked over against the canopy due to inner ear.
I'd tell him to straighten head up and he would shake his head yes but
not straighten up. Would take 4-5 minutes before he could sit straight
again in cockpit G
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````
Lord, I miss the fun times!! :-)
Dudley

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````
Know what you mean. Never again will anyone have the opportunity to do
things like happened in the past century.

BJ
Old February 1st 04, 02:40 AM
Dudley Henriques

Group; sorry for the OT stuff. Trying to sort it out now.

John; we must be having trouble with private email for some reason. I've
sent several to you back channel, both using the hotmail and the new address
you listed in a prior post here. I've received nothing from you in return.
The mails however didn't bounce back to me. Have no idea what it could be.
All other email is coming through just fine. You're the only one. Have you
received anything from me at all? Have you tried to email me at all?
"Big John" wrote in message
[...]

`````````````````````````

wrote:

----clip----
.

Don't have too much time in the T-Bird; a few hours up in Canada. Some in
the F86 which was a blast to fly; then into T38's and finally the F14 for
some test work. Did an evaluation of the Snowbirds Tutors that was fun; A
ton of time in prop fighters; all as a civilian BTW! :-)

I remember the T-Bird simulator though. I believe it was called the C11B;
you probably remember it the zero reader eight ball and all that! Much
better than the old Link ANT18 yellow and blue monster we learned on.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
``````````
The Zero Reader was one of the best instruments I flew (in F-94C) Why
they didn't continue using it I don't know?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````

The T38 would seem like greased lightning to someone after flying the T33
:-) Just the start procedure would drive a T Bird driver nuts looking for
something to do during spool up!!! It's mostly automatic.
You push the start buttons and watch the clocks. Easy!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
``````````````
The F-94C had an auto start. You could put the throttle in A/B and hit
start switches and engine would start, wind up to 100% and go into
burner without any further action on your part.

Engine was a J-48 centrifugal. Only other centrifugal than the J-33 in
T-33.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````````

[...]

`````````````````````
Lord, I miss the fun times!! :-)
Dudley

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````

Old February 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Pat Thronson

Dudley Henriques,

OT stuff?? and down loading music and Kerry stuff are? lol

Question for you older military pilots... Back in 1975 my high school,
guidance counselor said I could not fly (pilot) in the military because I
wore glasses, but I sure see now there were quit a few who did. What would
be a rough % of pilots who wore glasses?

Pat Thronson

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

Group; sorry for the OT stuff. Trying to sort it out now.

John; we must be having trouble with private email for some reason. I've
sent several to you back channel, both using the hotmail and the new

address
you listed in a prior post here. I've received nothing from you in return.
The mails however didn't bounce back to me. Have no idea what it could be.
All other email is coming through just fine. You're the only one. Have you
received anything from me at all? Have you tried to email me at all?

On topic aviation piloting snipage