Can I fly the NY VFR corridor w/o a XPNDR?

Old November 4th 04, 10:58 PM
zatatime

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:07:45 -0500, Mike wrote:

I suppose it's time to set up the
GPS,

You need a GPS to follow a river for 3 miles with one of the biggest
cities in the world always to one side?! Yikes.

make some notes on reporting points and go flyin'

This sounds more like it to me....

Old November 5th 04, 01:12 AM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder.
Toks Desalu
Dyin' to soar
PP-ASEL

Wrong. Do it all the time.

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

Old November 5th 04, 03:25 AM
Bob Chilcoat

One of the pilots at SMQ used to run the corridor in his Champ. No Xponder
there. I'll ask him about it when I see him next.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Toks Desalu wrote:

You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder. However, I think you

can
get a special permission from FSDO to enter or leave without

transponder
for good reasons. I dont think they will give you a permission because

you
want to fly into that corridor without a transponder.

You get it from TRACON if your aircraft has an electrical system. The

reason can be
as simple as "I want to fly through there on my way to xxx". Getting

permission to
actually enter the class-B is another kettle of fish, but I've heard of it

being
arranged.

As far as aircraft without electrical systems goes, FAR 91.215 states in

part --
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (b)(2) of this section, any aircraft which

was not
originally certificated with an engine-driven electrical system or which

has not
subsequently been certified with such a system installed, balloon or

glider may
conduct operations in the airspace within 30 nautical miles of an

airport listed
in appendix D, section 1 of this part provided such operations are

conducted -;

(i) Outside any Class A, Class B, or Class C airspace area; and

(ii) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace

area
designated for an airport or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower; and

Despite that last "and", there is no part iii in the copy of the FARs on

the AOPA web
site.

As I read that, he can run the corridor if he wants to. That's outside the

class B
airspace.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to

have
been looking for it.

Old November 5th 04, 04:01 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike wrote:

Thanks. I managed to find a current NY TAC and can see the
route a lot better now.

Good. Now turn that TAC over and check out the helicopter routes chart on the other
side. It's larger scale and has sketches of some of the landmarks in that area (like
the air intakes for the tunnel).

Old November 5th 04, 05:11 AM
BTIZ

re read the post.. he said he is covered by the exemption in 91.215, he has
no electrical system..
he can fly within the 30nm ring, stay below the ceiling and floors of the
class B not talk to a soul

but research is required for any TFRs or such

BT

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
You cannot enter 30nm ring without a transponder. However, I think you can
get a special permission from FSDO to enter or leave without transponder
for good reasons. I dont think they will give you a permission because you
want to fly into that corridor without a transponder.

Toks Desalu
Dyin' to soar
PP-ASEL

"Rosspilot" wrote in message

Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

I'm not so sure about transponder-less a/c inside the 30 nm ring. I
would
check on that.

But, if so, the frequency is 123.05 on the Hudson River. Self-announce
position, stay right (as a highway).
www.Rosspilot.com

Old November 5th 04, 05:14 AM
G.R. Patterson III

BTIZ wrote:

but research is required for any TFRs or such

Ah, yes!

Mike, baseball season's over, but pay attention next year. When the Yankees play home
games, the corridor is blocked at the upper end of Manhattan island.

Old November 5th 04, 05:18 AM
bryan chaisone

Mike wrote in message . ..
Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

Yes you most certainly can. This is, after all, a free country. Just
don't get caught.

Bryan
Old November 5th 04, 06:07 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...
Mike wrote in message
. ..
Simple question. Can I fly the NY VFR corridor in a
transponderless aircraft that meets the exception
requirements of 91.215 (no electrical system)? It looks
like the answer is yes, provided I stay low enough (below
500' as I turn the Lady). Any new TFR or other restrictions
on this? Any good intros on doing it (freq's. suggested
reporting points, etc.) Thanks.

Yes you most certainly can. This is, after all, a free country. Just
don't get caught.

Semi-free country.

Old November 5th 04, 05:57 PM
Andrew Gideon

Mike wrote:

I fly in the 30 nm veil all the time. This was
just an extreme case, so I thought I'd see if there was
anything I was missing.

What i was worried about was someone spotting me on primary
radar, not knowing the FAR's and thinking "No transponder,
30 nm veil, approaching 9-11 ground zero - call out the
F-16's" There's no way for anyone to tell from radar that
I'm a legal exception to the transponder rules.

Legal or not, that would worry me too. Look at what an F-16 did to a
perfectly innocent school in southern NJ.

No doubt they'll look at your plane and assume you're carrying thousands of
pounds of high explosive.

- Andrew

Old November 5th 04, 08:58 PM
Mike

zatatime wrote:

You need a GPS to follow a river for 3 miles with one of the biggest
cities in the world always to one side?! Yikes.

When I visually identify a reporting point, it's nice to
know my scan included confirmation on the GPS moving map. I
sure don't want to have my head buried in the cockpit
checking the chart while flying down the most crowded VFR
corridor in America. I also looked at some pictures on the
web so I'm better able to recognize landmarks. I estimated
cruise time between points and noted that on my chart. I
jotted down some emergency frequencies and drew some arrows
to the nearest airports at dfferent points along the route
in case of engine trouble. I drew some course lines with
magnetic heading. I studied the shape of the shoreline and
decided in advance where I'd make each turn and when I'd
climb or descend. Which of those preparations would you
*not* take (in addition to leaving your GPS at home)
simply because, in your humble opinion, navigation by
following the river is a snap?

Always do as much as you can in advance, particularly the
first time. Use all your assets, keep situational
awareness, keep your options open. Redundancy is a good
thing.