PIREP: AirMap 1000 (Long)

Old March 20th 05, 09:29 PM
Aardvark

RST Engineering wrote:
Just unpacked my brand new Samsung laser...note on the cartridge is that has
half the expected life of a full cartridge.

Jim

Darn you can only shine it at 1/2 as many planes.... oh , never mind.

Old March 20th 05, 11:16 PM
jsmith

Martin,
- how many miles/kilometers do you get on the set of tires that come on
a new car?
- how long does the original battery in your new car last?
Dud! The manufacturers put the cheapest/lowest cost "consumable" item as
original equipment.

Martin Hotze wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:30:19 -0800, Peter Duniho wrote:
in new printers the first set of ink is usually only half full.

Martin Hotze wrote:
Yeah, right.
Where DO you come up with this crap?

Old March 21st 05, 12:51 AM
Peter Duniho

... Just unpacked my brand new
Samsung laser...note on the cartridge is that has
half the expected life of a full cartridge.

Laser printers don't use ink, and it's true they commonly come with toner
cartridges that have less capacity than one can buy standalone. That
doesn't mean that the "first set of ink is half full".

Old March 21st 05, 12:57 AM
Peter Duniho

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
hm, first hand experience? and: this is a known fact, nothing new.
don't say that this is news to you. *doh*

I doubt you have purchased enough printers in your lifetime to be able to
state what "usually" happens from personal experience.

In MY personal experience, printers come with brand new ink cartridges,
still in their shrink wrap. They are the same cartridges you buy in the
stores when you get refills, and they last just as long.

http://www.google.com/search?q=new+printer+ink+half+full

I know how to use Google. What in those results verifies your claim? I see
mostly companies selling third-party ink making unverified accusations, and
nothing supporting your claim.

How about you post links to all the printer manufacturers who document that
they sell printers with ink cartridges that are only half full? Offering up
a needle in a haystack proves nothing, other than your own laziness when
your bluff is called.

Pete

Old March 21st 05, 01:05 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

7 - "What?!? I can't write to the included SD chip!" I powered the
GPS down and removed the included SD Card, which is only 32MB and much
to small to include the obstruction database as well as a customer
map. Should include a 128MB at minimum to be at least a tiny bit
useful. I plugged the SD writer (also included in the box with the
airmap 1000) into MY PC and tried to write my newly generate are
detail map to the SD chip. It did not show up?!?! "Hmmm that is
interesting." Upon further investigation, I find that the included SD
chip is permanently write protected. Still do not know why, but so be
it... What was more odd is the Map generation program acted as if it
had written the data to the SD chip... No indication that the write
had failed. On top of that, the software requires that you "register"
the SD chip to the software. Well I just wasted one registration on a
chip which can not be used. What a load of horse crap.

Correction here.... the SD Chip writer needed a firmware upgrade...
Once I upgraded the firmware, the chip was writable... What can one
really write to a 32MB chip which already has 14MB used up. That
limits me to 28MB.... That is not a lot of room to put the detail maps
for my area on..... That is the bad thing about So Cal.... too much
data for a GPS chip... :-)

8 - "Fine, I will use my Mega SD chip" I pull out my 1GB SD chip and
then read the instructions. I mean afterall, I only have 4
registrations left for SD chips. Good thing I did.... 256MB is the
maximum size the AirMap 1000 has been tested with. So... I do not
have any other chips I can use at this time... They are all used for
cameras, MP3 players etc.... so exploring detailed maps will have to
wait.

Ok... a little update on the SD Chip thing, and some questions for
those that just might know...

I went and purchased a 256MB chip for this AirMap 1000. I thought this
might just slove my problem.... Here is the deal.... Apparently the
Aviation Database provided is locked to a particular SD Chip and you
can not copy the Aviation Database to the larger chip. It seems the
only way around this is to purchase an update from Lowrance and write
the database file to the new 256MB chip... Seems like a load of crap
to me.... Whatever... So I am either limited to the 32MB chip, which I
did figure out how to write to the SD card, or I can pay the $35 to
get the latest Database and write it to my new SD card.

Grrrr.... This flying habit is getting more expensive every day....

Anyone know a way to copy the database file from the 32MB chip to my
new 256MB chip without buying the update from Lowrance?

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 21st 05, 01:07 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

No thread hi-jacking :-)

True though... I bought a new laser printer and 2 months later the
toner was empty... I decided to read the manual and what!!!!!! only
good for 100 pages on the provided toner.... Of course a toner
cartridge costs about half the price of my printer... Tight wads...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:54:48 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:01:36 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:

$35 a monthm or $299 a year. You can just update the database as you
feel it is needed. I will likely only update annually, or prior to a
long XC trip, whichever comes first.

you paid $400 for the whole thing (with a current database, I guess) and
they take $35x12=$420 or $299 for updates?

are these typical prices?

#m
--
It's not like I'm a terrorist or a hair dresser or anything.
http://www.ensight.org/archives/2005...ion/trackback/

Kind of like buying a printer these days!

Old March 21st 05, 01:16 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:05:39 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8'
wrote:

B chip which already has 14MB used up. That
limits me to 28MB.... Th

Make that 18 MB.... Geesh.... I R Engineer......

Old March 21st 05, 01:35 AM
Robert A. Barker

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
[...]

My HP printer came with half filled ink and so stated.

Don't know about the rest of the brands.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old March 21st 05, 02:43 AM
mark

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:

Anyone know a way to copy the database file from the 32MB chip to my
new 256MB chip without buying the update from Lowrance?

There isn;t. Its tied to the serial number of the SD.. I did some
digging on that..

Old March 21st 05, 02:53 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Well now isn't that special.... So I am forced to buy the updated
database so I can have it on my larger chip?