OK ! We did the Bose / Dave Clark flight!

Old December 23rd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Default OK ! We did the Bose / Dave Clark flight!

Aircraft is a 1976 Warrior, PA 28-151

Stock, with new Airtex delux interior, 1/4 in windshields, 1/8 side
windows....

OK .... in no special order.....

1 flight hr so far, we switched several times...

LOVE ANR! we NOT going back!

ANR on, absolutely NO difference in the two headsets.

ANR off (or batts fail/go dead),

DC, OK, Passive NR not quite as good as my DC 13.4's.

Bose (ANR off)? They absolutely suck! Dono what is going on here...but
it was better when they were OFF (in the back seat)! Better carry a
spare (any!) headset on a long trip! I had heard about this, but
never expected it to be that bad. It was like the headset amplified
the engine noise, almost like it "echoed" inside the earcups.

Seriously, I would take them OFF and fly on without them on! Weird....

Audio quality, - Bose sounded a bit "better" for music (more "bass") ,
DC's have more of a "communication" sound quality. If coms were
difficult, I would give a slight edge to the DC's.

I liked the volume controls on the cord of the Bose..

The cell interface worked flawlessly on the DC's. - I called home,
bride could not tell we were in the air! She said my voice sounded a
little bit "nasal" ..like the hands free unit in my car (built into
the sound system)

The voice dialing (Blackberry Pearl) worked flawlessly... through the
DC interface.

Comfort..

Jury still out..

Cory has a "rounder " face than I.... he found the "undercut" earseals
on the DCs uncomfortable...they fit me perfectly.
Turned the ear seals upside down, he liked them!

The Bose were very comfortable for both of us, although the full
contact of the DC headband seemed a bit better than the two "pads" on
the Bose.

Interestingly, we tried the seals from my old DC's on the X11, and
Cory found them as comfortable as the "upside down" seals...
Thin eyeglass frames are important, there was a deterioration on the
ANR effectiveness around thick frames. (bothe headsets)

Clamping pressure is the same on both, pressing on the cups enhanced
the performance of both headsets.

AUDIO SEND?

Controllers here gave very good reports on the audio quality on both
headsets/microphones.

More to come..we gona try them again soon, we have them for up to 30
days to test.

So far, the ANR performance of the Bose do NOT appear to be worth the
extra $$ over the DCs. (depending on how you value that CD player they
send with it)

The cell input is a huge plus for the DCs if you use it. The music
input works well also...

We will fly them some more, and PIREP again..and let you know what we
decide - and why.

Cheers!

Dave

Old December 23rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

:
: Stock, with new Airtex delux interior, 1/4 in windshields, 1/8 side
: windows....
:
: OK .... in no special order.....
:
: 1 flight hr so far, we switched several times...
:
:
: We will fly them some more, and PIREP again..and let you know what we
: decide - and why.
:
: Cheers!
:
: Dave
:
:

Thanks! Good to have a direct comparison between these two 'sets...

Old December 23rd 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

If Bose offered a music input, they might have a slight edge, but for
now, the X11's appear to have my preference.

--Dan

Old December 23rd 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

Better carry a
spare (any!) headset on a long trip!

Why not just spare batteries?

Ok, so why don't you even try the Sennheiser and the Lightspeeds, too?
I think you'd be very surprised in a direct comparison in the plane.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 23rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Thanks for the first-hand report.

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:08:37 -0400, Dave
wrote in
:

I liked the volume controls on the cord of the Bose..

Isn't this just another mechanical source for potential component
failure, and control confusion?

Old December 24th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Definately!

Lotsa batteries.

But other components can fail as well...

It is just that the Bose are SO BAD without the ANR active..

No dealer has offered the Sennheiser for test, and the local
experience with Lightspeed is not good. Work as advertised, but
spend far too much time on FedEX aircraft.. to and from service...

Not the prerequesite for spending my $$$$$..

I am planning to keep/use this purchase a long time..

YMMV !

Dave

Old December 24th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

Lotsa batteries.

Ok, reality check. The Bose (as the DC) has auto-shutoff when not worn.
The batteries will last, what, 30 hours? You fly how many per year?
Let's say you need three sets per year, maybe five. That's "lots"? And
there'S a warning light before they run out.

No dealer has offered the Sennheiser for test, and the local
experience with Lightspeed is not good. Work as advertised, but
spend far too much time on FedEX aircraft.. to and from service...

Ah, the magic of marketing...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 24th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

hehe..

Ok, reality check. The Bose (as the DC) has auto-shutoff when not worn.
The batteries will last, what, 30 hours? You fly how many per year?
Let's say you need three sets per year, maybe five. That's "lots"? And
there'S a warning light before they run out.

4 AA for AM 2000.

4 AA for flashlights

4 AA for 2 ANR headsets, (2 B announced)

4 for spare GPS

4 AA for portable VHF

2 AA for CO detector.....

Etc..

Batts are only one part of the failure possibilities

Local Bose have needed service several times...

No dealer has offered the Sennheiser for test, and the local
experience with Lightspeed is not good. Work as advertised, but
spend far too much time on FedEX aircraft.. to and from service...

Ah, the magic of marketing...

No... lot of comments by posters here and on the Cherokee groups...

MANY posts about the great service of the Lightspeed guys, - and the
need for it...

Old December 25th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

4 AA for AM 2000.

long list snipped

And these all run out at the same time? For me, it looks like you need
exactly 4 spare AAs, maybe 8.

No... lot of comments by posters here and on the Cherokee groups...

In that case, you will have noticed a change in those postings since
the last couple of generations of LS headsets. But it's your money...
;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 26th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_1_]

Agreed!

I carry only 8 spares..

Forgot to include the smily.. my bad..