Translate WX Forecast

Old August 2nd 05, 04:58 PM
john smith

Matt Barrow wrote:
You're conflating READING and WRITING.
If you read normally, abbreviations (SCT vs Scattered) makes a difference of
milliseconds. Comprehending what's actually written takes MUCH longer.
Sorry, but that whole (fast brief) thing strikes me as rather bogus.

Practice, practice, practice!
Old August 2nd 05, 05:01 PM
Matt Barrow

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
Matt Barrow wrote:
You're conflating READING and WRITING.
If you read normally, abbreviations (SCT vs Scattered) makes a

difference of
milliseconds. Comprehending what's actually written takes MUCH longer.
Sorry, but that whole (fast brief) thing strikes me as rather bogus.

Practice, practice, practice!

Every day...a hundred pages!

Old August 5th 05, 04:02 AM
Andrew Sarangan

It is easier to write PDA than Personal Digital Assistant, USA than
United States of America, or C172 than Cessna one seventy two. It is
also ironic that you wrote WX instead of WEATHER in your subject line.

Acronyms have little to do with bandwidth. It has everything to do with
ease of reading.

Jose wrote in news:_oDGe.2735$gt5.616
@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I can't stand wading through an undecoded briefing where I have to

pick
through "Wind" and "Temperature" and all of that unnecessary verbal
nonsense in order to get the information.

Wind and Temp data is nonsense?

I think what he means is that the word "wind" and "temperature" is
nonsense if you already know which numbers they are. (He probably

also
mistyped "undecoded" for "decoded into prose")

For example, once you really know the format,
FM0800 VRB03KT 3SM BR OVC040
is easier to read than
"from 8:00 Greenwich Mean Time until 14:00 Greenwich Mean time (2:00

pm
in England), the winds will be variable at three knots, visibility

will
be three statute miles in mist and the ceiling will be overcast at

four
thousand feet above ground level."

This is especially true when you stack a bunch of them up to spot a
trend, or are getting the METAR from a PDA or internet cell phone.

Jose

Old August 5th 05, 02:25 PM
CriticalMass

Jose wrote:
How much more would an entire briefing be using SCATTERED rather than
SCT,
Former instead of FMT...

It wouldn't line up vertically. This makes it harder to see trends.

Oh, jeesh. Altogether now, "DON GREEN EYESHADES!".

It would take up more space on tiny displays - not everyone uses a 20 inch
computer screen in the cockpit, or when walking around.

And no one is going to convince me all that many people are getting
their briefs on "tiny screens or when walking around". Some are, sure.
But with nothing to prove it, I bet the vast majority use desktop
terminals to do it, either at home, or at the airport, where they are
normally available.

All your statement does is corroborate what most people already know -
"tiny screens" aren't very useful for surfing the web or gathering data.
Old August 5th 05, 02:28 PM
CriticalMass

john smith wrote:

Practice, practice, practice!

"Practice" what, early 20th century technology when we're into the 21st
century? I have better things to use my memory for when I fly.

Hobbs Soaring Forecast Mike the Strike Soaring 0 June 4th 05 06:51 PM
Have you ever... Jay Honeck Piloting 229 May 6th 05 08:26 PM
RUC Mixed Boundary forecast m pautz Soaring 2 March 26th 05 02:48 AM
Weather Question: forecasting clouds Jonathan Piloting 11 November 19th 04 08:34 PM
A good 12 hour soaring forecast goes bad Jonathan Gere Soaring 5 July 11th 04 01:21 AM