Jury did it again

Old January 18th 04, 09:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dave S wrote:

Ok.. the report is heresay.. but what about the individual testimony of
the NTSB investigator who generated the report?

Well, one problem is that the NTSB personel don't usually do much on their own.
If they want to know if there were problems with the engine, for example, they
will call in experts from Continental or Lycoming to check it out. In some cases,
judges have ruled that evidence inadmissible because the manufacturer's experts
testimony would have been "prejudiced." Even if the judge allows Parker Hannifin
techicians to testify as to the reasons why they believe the pumps were working,
and even if a mechanic would say "yep, that proves they were working", the jury
members are likely to regard that testimony as uneducated opinion or possibly
lies.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 19th 04, 06:16 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Judah wrote:

"Dave Stadt" wrote in news:BicOb.1355$BA2.1066
:

NTSB reports cannot be used as evidence.

Why is this?

An attorney recently posted that the reason is that an NTSB report is hearsay.

I'm not an attorney but I learned that lesson when I was on a jury for
an auto accident lawsuit and we were not allowed to see the police
report. Well we were, but everything worth reading was blacked out by
the judge.

Old January 19th 04, 11:25 PM
Michael

"Jay Honeck" wrote
How IS it that the FAA allowed installation of the almost completely
unreliable "dry" vacuum pumps, after so many years of success with the
bullet-proof "wet" pumps?

You don't really imagine FAA certification procedures do anything to
improve safety, do you?

Experience seems to show that dry pumps are just
a catastrophic failure waiting to happen

Yeah, basically. They're junk. But they're a few ounces lighter, a
few bucks cheaper (though of course not on a per-hour basis), and they
leave an oil slick on the belly no matter what you do.

Michael
Old January 21st 04, 02:39 AM

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:25:41 -0800, Michael wrote:
and they
leave an oil slick on the belly no matter what you do.

A dry pump leaves an oil slick??? If so something is wrong with the pump.
There is an oil tight seal.

Old January 21st 04, 03:27 PM
Michael

J wrote
and they
leave an oil slick on the belly no matter what you do.

A dry pump leaves an oil slick??? If so something is wrong with the pump.
There is an oil tight seal.

Sorry. I should have said they DON'T leave an oil slick on the belly.
Wet pumps will.

Michael

The OSH Pool Party is just 30 days away! Jay Honeck Home Built 54 June 30th 04 04:14 AM
FA Ebay: EVANS VOLKSPLANE VP1 "A REAL BEAUTY" JR Home Built 16 June 12th 04 12:07 PM
U.S. Air Force award of four rocket launches this year is likely to be delayed Larry Dighera Military Aviation 15 May 14th 04 01:58 PM
Another GA lawsuite Kevin Owning 38 December 2nd 03 03:38 AM
Pilots on jury short list for friendly-fire court martial Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 10th 03 09:27 PM