Blue Angels and Thunderbirds

Old October 19th 03, 06:47 PM
Hilton

Default Blue Angels and Thunderbirds

Hi,

Just a quick report back about only 5 Blue Angels at Fleet Week and the
resumption of shows by the Thunderbirds after Solo 6 ejected.

Blue Angels: I was at the Salinas Airshow yesterday. I heard an announcer
mention that one of the performances was dedicated to a member of the Blue
Angels whose wife had passed away.

Thunderbirds: Only 5 were in the performance. I would guess that Capt
Stricklin is not able to fly shows. With the season ending in 3 weeks, it's
anyones guess if he'll fly again this year or next. I wish him everything
that would help him get back in the air. These guys are superb. I sure am
glad he didn't get hurt.

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it was
that stealthy.

Hilton

Old October 19th 03, 07:03 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

"Hilton" wrote in message
BTW: I saw the F-117A

Well, then,,,, it couldn't be all that stealthy if ya SAW it! GRIN wink...

I missed out on both events. Blue Angels 'cause we were getting a new car
for my wife (PT Cruiser she always wanted) and gotta admit that while I
don't mind the thought of FLYING to Salinas (I've been there a couple of
times),, the thought of DRIVING there was too unpleasant to contemplate.

Do you have any pictures??

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old October 19th 03, 07:39 PM
Hilton

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
"Hilton" wrote in message
I missed out on both events. Blue Angels 'cause we were getting a new car
for my wife (PT Cruiser she always wanted) and gotta admit that while I
don't mind the thought of FLYING to Salinas (I've been there a couple of
times),, the thought of DRIVING there was too unpleasant to contemplate.

Just to get onto 101 from Fleet Week took 3 hours! However, the drive to
and from SNS was quite painless as it has been each year. Travis AFB was
still the best when it comes to traffic coordination BTW.

Do you have any pictures??

No, but I recently visited their base at Nellis. Check out the pics at:
http://www.hiltonswebsite.com/Aviation/ThunderbirdsTour

Oh and how could I forget. Each Thunderbird had a camera in the cockpit and
they were showing the pilots CLOSE UP during each maneuver - way cool.

And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with a jet!
Each time he needed a boost, he fired that jet - it's amazing to see a
bi-plane literally rocketting up. Even stranger when there is some guy
standing on the wing! I don't think I'll ever be able to watch non-jet
aerobatics again.

Also, it was good seeing Wayne back in the air...

Hilton

Old October 19th 03, 07:59 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch non-jet
aerobatics again.

Ahh... do I detect that you will be going for a type rating for a jet
soon????

Old October 20th 03, 02:47 AM
Hilton

Hilton wrote:
And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with a

jet!
Each time he needed a boost, he fired that jet - it's amazing to see a
bi-plane literally rocketting up. Even stranger when there is some guy
standing on the wing! I don't think I'll ever be able to watch non-jet
aerobatics again.

Allow myself to correct... myself:

"In 1996, Jimmy Franklin debuted his latest project, the world's only
Jet-powered Waco biplane and will perform this year showing the Salinas
Valley residents what a customized aircraft can do! With the help of Les
Shockley (creator of the "Shockwave" jet truck.hey, his son is at the show
too.) they modified Jimmy's 1940 Waco with a T-38 (J-85) jet engine along
with a 450 horse power Pratt & Whitney radical prop engine, toss in 4500
pounds of thrust and over 2000 horse power and combined, it equals a
performance no one has ever seen or even attempted in this type of plane
before."

Hilton

Old October 21st 03, 12:12 AM
John Galban

"Hilton" wrote in message ink.net...
snip
1940 Waco with a T-38 (J-85) jet engine along
with a 450 horse power Pratt & Whitney radical prop engine...

With a J-85 in the back, there's nothing radical about the P&W :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 21st 03, 06:23 AM
Bob Fry

"Hilton" writes:

And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with a jet!

The same guy was at Oshkosh (not a Stearman btw). What's really weird
is the sound: jet engine noise, but still with propeller racket.
Really shows the difference between engine and prop noise.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:35 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Bob Fry wrote:

"Hilton" writes:

And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with a jet!

The same guy was at Oshkosh (not a Stearman btw). What's really weird
is the sound: jet engine noise, but still with propeller racket.
Really shows the difference between engine and prop noise.

Yes -- that is Big Jim Franklin -- "the wacko from Waco in a Waco." The
plane is a (highly modified) Waco UPF-7.
Old October 22nd 03, 02:59 AM
Morgans

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Bob Fry wrote:

"Hilton" writes:

And, the highlight of the show, was a Stearman on steroids; i.e. with

a jet!

The same guy was at Oshkosh (not a Stearman btw). What's really weird
is the sound: jet engine noise, but still with propeller racket.
Really shows the difference between engine and prop noise.

Yes -- that is Big Jim Franklin -- "the wacko from Waco in a Waco." The
plane is a (highly modified) Waco UPF-7.

When I see his routine, I have a big stupid grin. I look around, and see
the same grin on everyone else. It is just too funny!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 19th 03, 10:33 PM
BTIZ

BTW: I saw the F-117A, but did anyone see the B-2? I didn't think it was
that stealthy.

Hilton

well.. stealthy is not how easy it is to "see" with your Mark-I eyeball...
but painted black for night flying does help..

The STEALTH is how it looks on RADAR.. what type of radar return it
REFLECTS..

BT