Iowa to Washington State?

Old April 23rd 04, 11:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:xRgic.13356$_L6.1033718@attbi_s53...
If so, what route do you recommend? Will it require oxygen?

No oxygen should be required. See my other post for more details.

Old April 24th 04, 12:31 AM
Blanche

jay:

there are a number of lower altitude routes where you won't have
altitude problems -- weather, possibly, but not altitude. Go find
the appropriate sectionals and start reviewing them. Don't depend
on DD or any other flight software to plan for you. They
are very misleading. For example, the DD route (V210/83) south of
PUB into ALS has MEF of 14.4. Yet I go thru there all the time
(cherokee 180) at 12.5. Why? Because there's pass (LaVeta Pass)
that isn't on the IFR charts or DD.

Come by a few days early and take the Idaho Mountain course or
the Colorado Mountain course. No problems with your 235.

Don't want to go high? BIL-JUGAP-HLN-MSO-MLP-W28 and
never over 10K. True, that's not an IFR route part of
the route, but there are lots of airports on the way.

Old April 24th 04, 12:33 AM
EDR

In article , Peter Duniho
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If so, what route do you recommend? Will it require oxygen?

No oxygen should be required. See my other post for more details.

O2 may not be required, but I would recommend it.
You can rent portable O2 systems.
At my age, I don't believe in flying over 10,000 for more than 30
minutes without it.
I use a canula so I can still use my headset, eat and drink normally.
Old April 24th 04, 12:34 AM
EDR

In article ENfic.12459$w96.1176412@attbi_s54, Jay Honeck
wrote:

According to Destination Direct, we are just 10.5 hours away from my sister
in Sequim, WA.
D.D. routes us northwest to Billings, Montana, and then west from there.
The terrain looks very high, indeed.
Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies? How high must one go?

Remember, cross ridges at a 45 degree angle.
It makes it easier to do a 45 degree turn away from the ridge instead
of a 180.
Old April 24th 04, 12:36 AM
C J Campbell

I do it all the time. Jane's mother lives near Sheridan, Wyoming.

I recommend that you take the northern route through Great Falls. You can
stay under 10,000 feet the whole way if you want to.

Old April 24th 04, 01:12 AM
mikem

Hey Jay,

come visit us in SLC. I80 to SLC and I84 to Seattle. Never have to get
above ~ 9000'

I have to fly over some mountains no matter where I go from SLC.
The hightest routes are between SLC and DEN or COS. Not so high if
you fly the passes.

I do it in a 230HP Skylane or 150HP Pacer., no oxy.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z
SLC

Jay Honeck wrote:
According to Destination Direct, we are just 10.5 hours away from my sister
in Sequim, WA.

D.D. routes us northwest to Billings, Montana, and then west from there.
The terrain looks very high, indeed.

Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies? How high must one go?

Thanks in advance...

Old April 24th 04, 01:21 AM
David Brooks

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

When I fly Seattle to Fort Collins, CO, the highest IFR MEA along that

route
is 13000', but only for a very short segment, and it's a result of the
airway going right over a lone bump. VFR you could easily cross the bump
lower, or just go around if you prefer.

I thought it was due to radar coverage? However, I could believe it's Mount
Stuart. BTW, from memory the MEA is 12K, so you'd see 13K eastbound. In any
case, yes, that's much higher than necessary for VFR.

The route from Seattle to Ellensburg has an 8K MEA.

I think it could done following I-90 the whole way too, but not having

flown
that route (not farther east than Missoula anyway), I can't say without
looking at a chart I don't have in front of me.

If you follow I-90, watch for the sharp turn at Snoqualmie Pass (the main
pass over the Cascades). At least one plane has missed the turn and come to
grief in a nearby canyon.

None of this helps you across the Rockies :-)

-- David Brooks

Old April 24th 04, 01:23 AM
Newps

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
According to Destination Direct, we are just 10.5 hours away from my

sister
in Sequim, WA.

D.D. routes us northwest to Billings, Montana, and then west from there.
The terrain looks very high, indeed.

Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies? How high must one go?

If you can get that crate up to 10,500 that's all you need. If mountain
avoidance is your goal than 6500 will do it. The pass between Livingston
and Bozeman is at 6200, so sailing by at 6500 on a calm day is pretty cool.
Head down the valley that Ennis is in SW of Bozeman, sail by the Tetons and
on down into the smiley face of southern Idaho and you are home free. Of
course anybody who has a Pathfinder and goes this route is a wimp of
biblical proprtions. GPS direct with slight deviations for some peaks is
the way to go.

Old April 24th 04, 01:26 AM
Newps

If you do make the trip let me know and I will tell you the best price for
gas in this area. It will not ever be here at BIL, but not too far away.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 24th 04, 01:29 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Newps" wrote in message
If you do make the trip let me know and I will tell you the best price for
gas in this area. It will not ever be here at BIL, but not too far away.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/U68 North Big Horn County Airport
Cowley/Lovell/Byron, Wyoming, USA --- $2.00 a gallon, 54nm from BIL.