Military Slow Routes

Old April 17th 04, 01:51 AM
R22AV8R

Default Military Slow Routes

About a month ago, the fine state of Michigan saw fit to mail out the
annual (2004) Michigan aeronautical chart and to those with state
registered aircraft, the Michigan airport directory. Thank you very
much, State of Michigan.

And upon receipt of the chart, naturally, I open it up and scan the
notes, the legend, and the general area where I do most of my weekend
flying (as well if to see if some powerful soul has issued a
prohibited area above one of my buddies' homes that would preclude me
from flying over, let alone dropping a five pound sack of gold medal
flour on his fine new 40yr warrantied black roof...but nonetheless
that type of "object dropping" behaviour is still "unlawful"
and...well..I digress). I look in the southeast Michigan and into the
thumb area of the chart, to see if my friends at the state have
addressed a few questions I've posed to them in recent years.

Specifically, the Michigan chart shows three types of military
training routes (MTR's)....VR, IR and the ever elusive SR or "slow
route." The most recent copy of Michigan's special use airspace
planning chart I have is dated June 2001 (a compilation of midair
collision avoidance pamphlets by their own admission) and here is how
it defines a slow route: "SR or slow routes are used by aircraft at
speeds below 250 kts and at altitudes below 1500' AGL or less. This
includes aircraft such as C-130's, Rescue C130s and combat rescue
helicopters. Five SR routes can be found in Michigan, with three being
located in the thumb. Often you will see two or more C-130's flying in
line 300-500 feet AGl."

Cool. If you're not a resident of Michigan, however, you may not have
access to this information. Why? Because for some reason, slow routes
are not published on the Detroit sectional chart, or on the Detroit
VFR TAC chart. The feds and the state don't appear to be in bed
together on this issue. Best of luck getting that via NOTAM or from a
briefer (did I mention the SR's are not in an MOA?) More
interestingly, the Michigan special use chart to which I've made
reference above, shows a fourth route, known as an air refueling route
or AR. Guess what, it doesn't appear on the federal (Green Bay
sectional) chart either....or the Michigan "state" chart! And the
disclaimer on the special use airspace chart of course...."not to be
used for navigation." Sweet.

See and avoid my friends! Whiskey tango foxtrot, how copy over? (right
pedal, dump collective, grit teeth...where's the button that allows me
to transmit onto the frequency s/he's currently monitoring? Ah hell,
it's probably UHF anyway. Hey where's that option, Frank Robinson?)
There's gotta be a market for the "dammit, do you hear me?" button.
Can't dial in guard that fast, been there, tried that. No ah-ah.

So....the guy at the state of MI responsible for chart "questions,
comments, and suggestions" basically told me..."good question. I'll
check around." Hey I'm cool with that. A few weeks later "I don't
know, I'm awfully busy." Ok....well, glad to hear you're busy
but....personally I fund my aviation interest tolerating the brutal
automotive industry and an answer like that is, well, unacceptable.
IR/VR MTR's make it to the federal charts....are the slow routes and
refueling routes so fluid that they can't survive six months on a
sectional? Whiskey tango foxtrot......how copy.......over.

Have you seen this practice in other states....partial info
military routes as depicted on sectional charts? And if so, have you
asked your state chart reps why? Any of you Michiganders received some
insight on this topic? Any of you familiar with how the feds gather
chart info?

Fly safe my friends.
Regards,
Dan