Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 19th 05, 03:09 AM
Leanne

" Although I wore the more attractive shade of green, I thought
the Navy
greens were damn good-looking, too. I gather a lot of Navy

guys were
unhappy when they were phased out.

That and the brown shoes.

Leanne

Old March 19th 05, 04:49 AM
MikeR

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
snort, aye. In 18 years spent on the care and feeding of Naval
Aviators [green variety] and their steeds.....

Very insightful post, OJ, but waaaay back in the oooold days, both
Navy and Marine pilots wore green.

Although I wore the more attractive shade of green, I thought the Navy
greens were damn good-looking, too. I gather a lot of Navy guys were
unhappy when they were phased out.

vince norris

I wore Aviation Greens all the way up until 1998 when I retrired. I thought
they were still in the seabag today.

Old March 19th 05, 12:25 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 3/18/05 10:10 AM, in article , "John Miller"
wrote:

The name of RADM James Flatley III has been mentioned in that regard. I
have no way of verifying it.

Here's the Tailhook Association's list of people with 1000 or more traps:
http://www.tailhook.org/GrandClub.html

A close look at that list reveals that CAPT Lites Leenhouts tops the list
with 1645 traps. Not surprising given his reputation (bagger).

--Woody

Old March 19th 05, 12:50 PM
John Miller

Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal wrote:
A close look at that list reveals that CAPT Lites Leenhouts tops the list
with 1645 traps. Not surprising given his reputation (bagger).

Hey, good catch, Woody. And LCDR Arthur Critser (NFO) appears to be the
overall leader with 1,888 traps.

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)
Old March 19th 05, 02:32 PM
Phormer Phighter Phlyer

W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

WDA
VF-24 & VA-192

end

I hear Flatley's name with regard to this but I would think it would be
somebody during WWII, when they were flying everyday, for weeks on end,
2-3 times per day and multi tours onbaord the CV(E)s...as long as they
lived that long. Not sure if they did 'greeny boards' and trap counts
during WWII, I'm sure there were more important things to worry about
than what paddle's said.
Old March 19th 05, 05:39 PM
niceguy

HUH?

"Glenn Dowdy" wrote in message

"niceguy" wrote in message
link.net...
It was never a competition!!
We did it because it was our job and duty.

And probably because you had nowhere else to land. The man asked a simple
polite question: there exists/existed a naval aviator who had more carrier
traps than anyone else; who was he and how many? No one is claiming he's
the best/greatest/whatever; it's just a matter of stastitics, Mr.
Anonymous.

Glenn D.

Old March 19th 05, 06:44 PM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

snort, aye. In 18 years spent on the care and feeding of Naval
Aviators [green variety] and their steeds.....

Very insightful post, OJ, but waaaay back in the oooold days, both
Navy and Marine pilots wore green.

Although I wore the more attractive shade of green, I thought the Navy
greens were damn good-looking, too. I gather a lot of Navy guys were
unhappy when they were phased out.

Why did you assume I was speaking uniforms, with that "green"?

While "blue" dollars pay for a lot of the USMC aviation toys, our
NAs/NFOs are *paid* with "green" dollars.

[Does anybody in the US military still get paid with checks [much
less {gasp!!!!!!} cash] nowadays, or has DoD gone mandatory
direct deposit? Saw on a recent cable show on carriers that all
their crew's cash comes out of an ATM.]
--
OJ III
Old March 19th 05, 06:45 PM
Lynn in StLou

W. D. Allen Sr. wrote:
Just curious....

Who in the Navy holds the record for greatest number of carrier trap
landings? And what's his total number of traps?

WDA
VF-24 & VA-192

end

I recall a bit in The Hook a while back in which
this very question was addressed. It was a
British pilot, IIRC, but I do not recall his name.
Will sift through the back issues and see if I
can find it.

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply
Old March 19th 05, 09:09 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:44:13 -0500, Ogden Johnson III
wrote:

snipped for brevity

[Does anybody in the US military still get paid with checks [much
less {gasp!!!!!!} cash] nowadays, or has DoD gone mandatory
direct deposit? Saw on a recent cable show on carriers that all
their crew's cash comes out of an ATM.]

Can't answer directly or for all, but my son is at Camp Caldwell in
Iraq as part of the 278th RCT (TN National Guard). He was required to
execute a direct deposit form when he was activated. I have his POA
and am taking care of his affairs while he is gone; twice a month I
get the notice of direct deposit. He draws his "walking around" money
from an ATM.

While he was drilling he told me that he was requried to have an
account for payment of his monthly drill and AT pay.

The Days of Cash appear to be just a memory! ;-)

Bill Kambic