Stupid helmet question

Old April 5th 05, 05:36 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

Default Stupid helmet question

I was browsing a newsgroup just now and saw a gentleman flying a P-51
Mustang with what appears to be just a common ball cap. I got to
wondering if he is that secure in his abilities and crash worthiness
of the air frame to simply wear a ball cap?

As a motorcyclist I feel very strange if I'm not wearing the very best
helmet that I can afford. Why would a pilot operate a high performance
aircraft with anything less?

I know that a high dollar helmet and other protective gear has no
guarantees whether it's a car, motorcycle, pony or aircraft.

Am I missing something? Is the pilot simply exercising his freedom to
take his chances? (The law won't let me do that in some states.)
Old April 5th 05, 06:09 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:36:18 GMT, Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote:

I was browsing a newsgroup just now and saw a gentleman flying a P-51
Mustang with what appears to be just a common ball cap. I got to
wondering if he is that secure in his abilities and crash worthiness
of the air frame to simply wear a ball cap?

As a motorcyclist I feel very strange if I'm not wearing the very best
helmet that I can afford. Why would a pilot operate a high performance
aircraft with anything less?

I know that a high dollar helmet and other protective gear has no
guarantees whether it's a car, motorcycle, pony or aircraft.

Am I missing something? Is the pilot simply exercising his freedom to
take his chances? (The law won't let me do that in some states.)

What you may be missing is recognition of the fact that the helmet in
modern, high-performance aircraft functions primarily as an anchor
mechanism for electronics and an oxygen mask. It does shield the
noggin from the canopy bangs that potentially result from abrupt
maneuvers, but it doesn't add all that much to "crash worthiness."

In fact, most states will not accept a military flight helmet as a
substitute for a certified auto/motorcycle helmet.

But, they do make you feel cool when you put it on and drop the
visor--at least until the hot spots start showing up forty-five
minutes into a ten hour ocean crossing.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old April 5th 05, 06:15 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote in message

I was browsing a newsgroup just now and saw a gentleman flying a P-51
Mustang with what appears to be just a common ball cap. I got to
wondering if he is that secure in his abilities and crash worthiness
of the air frame to simply wear a ball cap?

When was the photo taken?

Old April 5th 05, 06:23 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:15:59 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
postulated :

When was the photo taken?

Don't know.
There is a series called "P-51" over in
alt.binaries.pictures.military. Difficult to tell time frame.

Old April 5th 05, 06:55 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote in message

Don't know.
There is a series called "P-51" over in
alt.binaries.pictures.military. Difficult to tell time frame.

I can only view 3 of the 11 images, the one showing a pilot with cap is not
available to me.

Old April 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:55:14 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
postulated :

I can only view 3 of the 11 images, the one showing a pilot with cap is not
available to me.

E-mailed it to you....

Regards,
Greasy
Old April 5th 05, 07:14 PM
Ragnar

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote:
I was browsing a newsgroup just now and saw a gentleman flying a P-51
Mustang with what appears to be just a common ball cap. I got to
wondering if he is that secure in his abilities and crash worthiness
of the air frame to simply wear a ball cap?

As a motorcyclist I feel very strange if I'm not wearing the very best
helmet that I can afford. Why would a pilot operate a high performance
aircraft with anything less?

I know that a high dollar helmet and other protective gear has no
guarantees whether it's a car, motorcycle, pony or aircraft.

Am I missing something? Is the pilot simply exercising his freedom to
take his chances? (The law won't let me do that in some states.)

Top speed of a P-51 is over 400 mph. Exactly which helmet is going to
help him in a crash?
Old April 5th 05, 07:19 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:14:08 -0400, Ragnar
postulated :

Top speed of a P-51 is over 400 mph. Exactly which helmet is going to
help him in a crash?

So... all crashes occur at top speed?

Old April 5th 05, 07:30 PM
Mike Kanze

In the early 1970s the USN was very insistent about aircrew wearing the
helmet - with the visor down - anytime while out on an active flight line,
or on the flight deck when the ship was at Flight Quarters. The safety point
was one of vision and hearing conservation. This was a major culture change
for many of the lower Rocket numbers, who had grown up in more relaxed
times; and a minor one for the rest of us. For me it simply meant keeping my
****cutter and Ray-Bans in my G-suit pocket until leaving the flight line.

Of course the helmet was, and is, excellent protection for your head when
doing 0-dark-30 preflights on a dimly lit flight deck.

The USN also got very big on good general "industrial safety" practices
during that era as well (for example, no rings or jewelry that could
accidentally amputate a body part if you were a wrench-turner). This
predated the onset of similar OSHA stuff in civilian industry.

--
Mike Kanze

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"

- Lily Tomlin

Old April 5th 05, 07:45 PM
Dale

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

What you may be missing is recognition of the fact that the helmet in
modern, high-performance aircraft functions primarily as an anchor
mechanism for electronics and an oxygen mask. It does shield the
noggin from the canopy bangs that potentially result from abrupt
maneuvers, but it doesn't add all that much to "crash worthiness."

In fact, most states will not accept a military flight helmet as a
substitute for a certified auto/motorcycle helmet.

Here's a quote of the flightsuits.com website in reference to one of the
helmets:

Caution: HGU-55 helmets have been designed for use in fixed-wing
aircraft and offer limited impact protection. Users with different
applications should consider helmets with greater impact protection
designed specifically for their applications.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html