Life Insurance Dilema

Old August 10th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Joe

Default Life Insurance Dilema

I am in the process of trying to buy life insurance for the first time
and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I am sure many of
you have gone through this already.

Here are the details:
I finished my private license last novemeber. I have flown a little
since, but only every 1-2 months.
I requested a quote from Zander (which is basically a broker that
represents many companies). On my original request, I said I was a
pilot. They wrote me back and requested a few more pieces of
information related to my flying like total hours, ratings, hours per
year, etc.

For a $1M, 10-year term policy, with my particulars, with aviation
coverage, they quoted $295 /year BUT, until I had 100 solo hours and
had an annual rate of 25 hours a year, there would be an additional
charge of $2900 annually. Yikes. I can probably swing the 25 hours a
year without too much effort, but I currently only have 20 hours of
solo time. So, it is going to cost me something like $6,000 to amass
that sort of time. Although I would love to go do that next month, my
finances don't allow that at the moment.

So, my question is, has anyone else been in this dilema before? Does
anyone reading this have limited flying experience like I do but have
gotten a better deal elsewhere? Are there other companies I should look
into?

I would really appreciate any advice. At this point I think I am going
to have to give up flying for a few years until I can actually afford
it. And that has got me kind of depressed.

Thanks,
Joe in Denver

Old August 10th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BTIZ

Why do you need a 1M 10year term policy?
Find a broker who deals with companies that understand aviation.
Maybe lower your coverage?
Buy whole life?

I've been covered by life insurance and flying for over 30 years, I did not
have that problem when younger and rated and I was flying on active duty
with the military and still covered by "civilian" life insurance policies. I
did pay a $1/month extra premium to fly as PIC in civil aircraft until age
44. Then that extra went away. Now someone with the actuarial tables will
have to explain that one.

I also have a friend, who waited until military retirement to attempt to buy
"civilian" life insurance to protect his now young family. He is a civil
pilot of low experience and he is also having problems finding insurance
that will cover him as PIC in GA aircraft. His current policy specifically
states "not covered while PIC."

My companies "Group Policy" that is "free" and only covers 1 years salary
also states no coverage when operating aircraft as PIC. But it will cover me
to fly with someone else as a passenger.

oups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

http://www.aopa.org/info/certified/insurance.html

http://www.eaa.org/memberbenefits.html Link to
insurance agency on page.

"BTIZ" wrote in message
| Why do you need a 1M 10year term policy?
| Find a broker who deals with companies that understand
aviation.
| Maybe lower your coverage?
| Buy whole life?
|
| I've been covered by life insurance and flying for over 30
years, I did not
| have that problem when younger and rated and I was flying
on active duty
| with the military and still covered by "civilian" life
insurance policies. I
| did pay a $1/month extra premium to fly as PIC in civil
aircraft until age
| 44. Then that extra went away. Now someone with the
actuarial tables will
| have to explain that one.
|
| I also have a friend, who waited until military retirement
to attempt to buy
| "civilian" life insurance to protect his now young family.
He is a civil
| pilot of low experience and he is also having problems
finding insurance
| that will cover him as PIC in GA aircraft. His current
policy specifically
| states "not covered while PIC."
|
| My companies "Group Policy" that is "free" and only covers
1 years salary
| also states no coverage when operating aircraft as PIC.
But it will cover me
| to fly with someone else as a passenger.

oups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 10th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

On 9 Aug 2006 22:14:26 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

So, my question is, has anyone else been in this dilema before? Does
anyone reading this have limited flying experience like I do but have
gotten a better deal elsewhere? Are there other companies I should look
into?

http://www.piclife.com/

Aviation friendly policies.
Old August 10th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

You moved a zero.

He said "For a $1M, 10-year term policy".....

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
news:000101c6bc7a$068f89a0$4001a8c0@omnibook6100.. .

Old August 10th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

Lets hope the same mistake does not occur using the altimeter.

Most life insurance policies have exclusions or addtional charges for high
risk activities, including sky diving and scuba diving. Their actuaries
know how to price risk.

Old August 10th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

BTIZ wrote:

Why do you need a 1M 10year term policy?

Assuming one's goal is to provide for a stay-at-home wife and young
children, one million is actually not the large amount of money you might
think it is, considering it might need to be spread out over fifteen to
twenty years (enough years to provide for the family after the main
provider has died until the children reach an age of independence).

Buy whole life?

Whole life traditionally has been a scam of sorts. Not sure about today's
version, but the traditional opinion held by astute financial minds is to
avoid whole life policies.

--
Peter
Old August 10th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

You may find that a short flying hiatus
will put you into the "non pilot" or "no current intention to continue"
category and that you can resume flying at some point after the policy is
purchased with no effects to your coverage or premiums.

Would that not be likely to be challenged once you actually =need= the
policy? It would be obvious in retrospect the scam you were (allegedly)
pulling.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 10th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

Northwestern Mutual.

I have several policies with them for much larger amounts than you are
searching for. My first was after my private with no increased premium.
Second and third policies were after my commercial and CFI, again, no
increased premium. The agent is the key. Make sure your agent has your
interests in mind and not his wallet. Make your agent consult with his
superiors, do not take his word. Make him do his work.

Ask him how the policy treats current activities i.e.: when the policy is
purchased VS future activities. You may find that a short flying hiatus
will put you into the "non pilot" or "no current intention to continue"
category and that you can resume flying at some point after the policy is
purchased with no effects to your coverage or premiums.

Jim