New runway in Portugal.

Old January 8th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default New runway in Portugal.

Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html
Old January 8th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 8 Jan, 13:58, wrote:
Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

Pretty unsual.

It's on Madeira. Funchal - Aeroporto da Madeira (FNC/LPMA)

32°41´39"N, 016°46´41"W
Works on Google Earth

http://www.azworldairports.com/cfm/f...s/p2324fnc.htm

Thanks.
Old January 8th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in news:c23298b7-fc88-4720-9952-
:

Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

No, but I know a few guys who have. It's Madeira. not in Protugal, but on
one of it's possesion islands off the coast of Africa. I have a friend who
works for Monarch in the UK and he told me a bit about it. Even with the
extensions it's still a bit short. Also, when the wind blows from certain
directions around the island, you can have some very strange winds, varying
from a headwind at one end of the runway to a ferocious tailwind at the
other. I've seen the Jeppy for it and this is noted there. Turbulence is a
big issue as well, and I read a report of a 757 operator who nearly came to
grief there. The 757 has very sensitive ailerons ( actually, it's the roll
spoilers that cause the problem) and it's very easy to get a PIO going in
one in turbulence. The captain who wrote up the report said he didn't
believe in the PIO problem and thought anyone who whined about it was a
sissy and /or didn;t know how to fly "proper".
Until it happened to him in Funchal.

Unique place!

Bertie
Old January 8th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
wrote:
On 8 Jan, 13:58, wrote:
Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

Pretty unsual.

It's on Madeira. Funchal - Aeroporto da Madeira (FNC/LPMA)

The pics on blogspot are stolen from airliners.net (you can see a
bit of the airliners.net banner along the bottom edge in some of
the shots).

Here are some high res shots and other angles.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1250970/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0475545/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0617885/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0629153/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0664244/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0580562/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0702535/L/
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?album=5910

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old January 8th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:
Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

That is one expensive runway!
Old January 9th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Jan 8, 5:44*pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
wrote:
Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

That is one expensive runway!

It sure is an Engineering Marvel.

Wwil
Old January 29th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cmw

On Jan 9, 3:52 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

If anyone is interested there are 3 posts on Madeira Airport at
getalookatthis.com

http://www.getalookatthis.com/2008/0...rtugal-part-3/
http://www.getalookatthis.com/2008/0...rtugal-part-2/
http://www.getalookatthis.com/2007/1...y-in-portugal/

Part 3 shows video of a pilot twice aborting a landing, not sure if he
got it down the third time or not.

regards
Craig

Gliding in Portugal? Bob Soaring 5 April 6th 21 06:04 PM
Soaring in Portugal Peter Kelemen Soaring 2 October 3rd 11 10:21 PM
Runway J.F. Aviation Photos 14 September 14th 07 04:24 PM
A WHAT Ran off the End of our Runway?? Marco Leon Piloting 10 May 17th 06 02:46 AM
Runway needs of F4U and F-4 ???? vincent p. norris Naval Aviation 8 October 6th 05 07:18 PM